So what is our strongest starting 11?

Tsunami

Harper

Beye  Faye  Taylor  Enrique

Duff  Barton Geremi N'Zogbia

Owen  Martins

Our midfield is seriously weak, I'm not comfortable with any of the choices for the partnership in the middle. Barton/Butt/Smith/Geremi/Emre.

I think the majority on the board would agree with the 4 defenders, but thats about it, the rest is up to debate.

Harper

Beye    Caçapa    Taylor    Enrique

Milner     Faye    Emre     N'Zogbia

Martins    Owen

Given's been shite this season. Beye and Enrique are two very good full-backs imo.

Taylor and Caçapa isn't our best centre-back pairing, but i think we need Faye in midfield because i'm tired of us getting dominated in midfield by the likes of Wigan, Boro and Villa. We're embarrassingly flimsy in the middle of the park. Faye battles and wins the ball, and he's actually got some distribution to him unlike Nicky Butt. He's pretty quick too. I think Faye's the best centre-back at the club but he's more use to us in the centre of midfield.

Emre in there with him because he's more consistent than Barton, basically. Emre's done well tbf when he's been on the pitch this season, although that's more from coming off the bench. We need two new centre-midfielders in the summer.

I'd like to give Duff-right/Zog-left a go at some point, but at the moment our wingers need to be players who can actually beat a man and provide something, Milner can do that. Duff's not as bad as what he was last season but he's not offering enough.

Martins and Owen have to be in the team at the moment.

Thing is with our squad, we could play all the permutations at centre-mid, centre-back or centre-forward, and not have a big difference whatsoever. Because we've got a squad of squad players. There are three players in this squad who should be in the team no matter what (Beye, Enrique and Zoggy), and none of them are central players. We desperately need a new 'crux'.

I don't think you can call Emre more consistent than Barton. Both have played too little this season to be judged properly, but if you look at their last couple of years in the Premier League Barton has performed more consistently for City than Emre has for us.

I agree with you on the other point. If we could only make 3 signings this Summer i would want a top centre half, central midfielder and centre forward. When Faye is not in the team we have no spine whatsoever, something you find all the top teams are built around.

Harper

Milner     Faye    Emre     N'Zogbia

Martins    Owen

Given's been s**** this season. Beye and Enrique are two very good full-backs imo.

Taylor and Caçapa isn't our best centre-back pairing, but i think we need Faye in midfield because i'm tired of us getting dominated in midfield by the likes of Wigan, Boro and Villa. We're embarrassingly flimsy in the middle of the park. Faye battles and wins the ball, and he's actually got some distribution to him unlike Nicky Butt. He's pretty quick too. I think Faye's the best centre-back at the club but he's more use to us in the centre of midfield.

Emre in there with him because he's more consistent than Barton, basically. Emre's done well tbf when he's been on the pitch this season, although that's more from coming off the bench. We need two new centre-midfielders in the summer.

I'd like to give Duff-right/Zog-left a go at some point, but at the moment our wingers need to be players who can actually beat a man and provide something, Milner can do that. Duff's not as bad as what he was last season but he's not offering enough.

Completely agree. I reckon Martins and Owen should be given a chance together. I mean, things could hardly get any worse up front

Harper

Milner    Faye    Emre    N'Zogbia

Martins    Owen

Given's been s**** this season. Beye and Enrique are two very good full-backs imo.

This would be mine too.

Martins              Viduka

Duff                      Emre                  Barton                      Milner

Enrique                Taylor                    Faye                    Beye

Given

Harper

Cacapa

N'Zogbia

Owen

Smith

Geremi

Zambrela

I think we need a new right midfielder.  Someone with pace, skill and can deliver a ball.

Also a new striker how can score goals!!

Maybe a centre midfielder who also has pace, skill and can score goals.

Given/Harper (dosn't really make a diffrence)

Beye     Taylor   Faye  Enrique

Milner   Barton   Emre   N'Zogbia

Viduka   Owen

Subs:

Given/Harper

Cacapa

Duff

Martins

Shola

Simple..

---------------------------Harper-----------------------------

Geremi---------Beye----------------Faye----------Enrique

--Milner-------Barton--------------Emre-------NZogbia---

-------------------Martins---------Owen---------------------

Harper

Beye  Faye  Taylor  Enrique

Milner  Barton  Emre  N'Zogbia

Smith

Martins

It's baffling how many people want to leave out Owen, our only striker who is currently scoring goals, and put Smith in, who has been utter shit and hasn't scored a goal in 2 years.

I get the feeling some would rather we lose, than Owen score and win the game for us.

Given

Beye

Cacapa

Taylor

Enrique

Milner

Faye

Emre

N'Zogbia

Owen

Martins

Bit difficult up front as ideally I want Viduka in there but without any real spark anywhere on the pitch we need Martins' unpredictability more than anything.

It really is beyond me how anyone can advocate having Alan Smith in the team.

He offers nothing. There's no ifs or buts or maybes, he does nothing.

If he's in there to win headers and hold up the ball... the supposed strength he has ends up as conceding a foul, and if it's played long the ball merely bounces off his head.

If he's in there to battle away in centre-midfield... he only occassionally wins the ball, with the majority of his tackles resulting in fouls, with his passing being very limited.

If he's in there to offer himself as a threat in the box... he's got no nouse or striker awareness and almost never gets himself in goalscoring positions, and his finishing ability is pretty abysmal.

If he's in there to drive the team on and/or organise like a captain... he's got no awareness of things going on around him so he can't boss people about and tell them where to go. He doesn't have a high enough stature or ability to command the adequate respect from his teammates.

If he's in there to play on the wing and provide the strikers... he has no pace to beat a full-back and no crossing ability whatsoever. Nor does he have the intelligence to come back and help the defense bring it out; not with any real effectiveness anyway.

I'm running out of ideas. What else is he asked to do that he inevitable does badly? He can't do anything. He really is an absolute lost cause. He has determination... that's about his only attribute. Oh and he's reasonably good looking. The guy is utter, utter wank. Our squad is just about fully fit at the minute. He should not be in the sixteen.

---------------Given---------------

Geremi--Beye--Taylor--Enrique

Milner---Faye--Emre---N'Zogbia

---------Martins---Owen---------

Theoretically I think that could get us some points, just until we can totally break the team up in the summer(Beye at CB would be temporary) - it needs it.

Guest Jungle Barry

I definitely think the martins - owen combo up front needs to be explored, Sam did it once i believe (can't remember who against) and bottled it at half time.

At least with Martins up there as well it gives the opposition defenders something else to think about (and thus hopefully free Owen up somewhat) because with Smith & Viduka's limited movement they're so easy to mark its untrue.

With the midfield we have how can we play both Owen & Martins? They both ideally play off the last defender either from threaded balls through the middle or early from wide areas. Both would benefit from a front man to play off. Play them together & teams sit deep, we lump the ball in and lose it. Owen IS a luxory at the moment; yes he has scored but unless we are continually creating chances for him I'd rather have Martins as his all round play is better (if unpredicable) for the team in the present circumstances. Give Martins a go.

I don't understand how anyone can pick Smith; giving 100% is the very least you should expect. He can't play midfield & can't score or play the link man up front.

Guest f***thepress

Main problem we seem to have is the midfield holding onto the ball , thus...

Harper

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Milner Barton Duff Nzogbia

Owen Martins

Harper

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Owen Martins

Unfortunately, I think that midfield would be in trouble when we don't have the ball.

Harper

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Owen Martins

Barton and Duff in the middle........totally powder puff, they'd be lucky if their combined weights add up to 12 stone.

Given

Beye Faye Taylor Enrique

Milner Barton Zoggy Duff

Owen Martins

Swap Taylor with Cacapa and at the moment I'd probably go for that. Actually thinking about it I don't want to commit right now.  :lol:

does anyone else think they'd fancy their chances against this 5 a side team?

Given

Carr  Cacapa 

Butt

Smith 

All of whom are pretty much regulars in our starting lineup!

Harper

Beye Faye Taylor Enrique

Milner Barton Emre N'Zogbia

Martins Owen

Givens been desperately poor recently and Harper has shown how good he can be.

Full backs are the natural choices

Centre back combination is enforced as Cacapa is slow, weak, and awful under the high ball. He is good at reading the game and makes some great saving tackles/interceptions but I would rather we had 2 dominating CB's

The club possesses 3 good wingers and they should be rotated based on form and fitness. They all have different skills but I wouldn't say any stand out from the other 2.

Emre will sit in deep and look to create things and Barton must be the man who mops up if things go wrong. He should pass it simple and if needed can bomb on in front of Emre.

Owen is undroppable for us at the moment as he is scoring again and should continue to do so. Martins must play as he will be allowed the freedom he wants under Keegan and this will bring out the best in him. Some will say this lacks height but both Owen and Martins can win balls against much taller defenders.

Given

Beye Faye Taylor Enrique

Milner Barton Zoggy Duff

Owen Martins

Swap Taylor with Cacapa and at the moment I'd probably go for that. Actually thinking about it I don't want to commit right now.  :lol:

Cacapa has been poor. Unless you are basing your opinion solely on the fact that anything Keegan says, you believe?

Guest Julio Geordio

Given

Beye  Cacapa  Taylor  Enrique

Milner  Faye  Emre  N'Zogbia

Owen  Martins

is about the best we can muster together atm.

spot on