Giovanni Trapattoni appointed Ireland manager

Decky

Trapattoni set for Republic post

Trapattoni is tipped to be the new Republic of Ireland boss

Giovanni Trapattoni is the favourite to be named the new Republic of Ireland manager after a Football Association of Ireland board meeting on Wednesday.

The former Italy coach, 68, is expected to take over in May, once his contract at Red Bull Salzburg expires.

The Republic have been without a permanent boss since Steve Staunton was sacked in October after a poor Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Liam Brady is expected to be part of Trapattoni's backroom team.

Trapattoni is believed to have met a three-man FAI panel, which was set up to find a new manager, in Austria on Sunday.

FAI chief executive John Delaney confirmed on Monday that a board of management meeting would take place to approve an appointment.

He revealed that one name had been endorsed by the selection panel and that a media conference would be staged on Wednesday.

Trapattoni won six Serie A titles with Juventus and one with Inter Milan. He also led Bayern Munich, Benfica and Salzburg to league titles and managed Italy from 2000 to 2004.

A number of names had been linked to the Republic post, with former England coach Terry Venables reportedly keen to be Staunton's successor.

If Trappatoni is confirmed in his new post on Wednesday, it will bring to an end a long trawl for the new Republic boss following Staunton's sacking on 24 October last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7238507.stm

There is a reason that he's co-trainer at Red Bull Salzburg, and it's that he's past it and not very good anymore. He'd already lost the plot when he took over at Stuttgart in 2005 and that all ended in tears after only 20 games.

Trapp's greatest contribution to football in the last decade was probably his utterly insane legendary two-minute, full-on gesticulating-Italian-madman rant at his own players when he was in charge of Bayern. Search the youtube for 'trapattoni subtitled'. Not to be missed.

In fact, on the strength of that rant, I'd love to see him hired at Ireland manager. Indeed, I'd love to have him in the Prem. But not at my club.

There is a reason that he's co-trainer at Red Bull Salzburg, and it's that he's past it and not very good anymore. He'd already lost the plot when he took over at Stuttgart in 2005 and that all ended in tears after only 20 games.

Trapp's greatest contribution to football in the last decade was probably his utterly insane legendary two-minute, full-on gesticulating-Italian-madman rant at his own players when he was in charge of Bayern. Search the youtube for 'trapattoni subtitled'. Not to be missed.

In fact, on the strength of that rant, I'd love to see him hired at Ireland manager. Indeed, I'd love to have him in the Prem. But not at my club.

I think the fact he's taking the Ireland job tells it's own story - obviously not in demand at club level any more, at least not for the big jobs.

Just watched it, class!

He won the league with Benfica only 2 years ago.

Trapattoni set for Republic post 

Trapattoni is tipped to be the new Republic of Ireland boss

Giovanni Trapattoni is the favourite to be named the new Republic of Ireland manager after a Football Association of Ireland board meeting on Wednesday.

The former Italy coach, 68, is expected to take over in May, once his contract at Red Bull Salzburg expires.

The Republic have been without a permanent boss since Steve Staunton was sacked in October after a poor Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Liam Brady is expected to be part of Trapattoni's backroom team.

Trapattoni is believed to have met a three-man FAI panel, which was set up to find a new manager, in Austria on Sunday.

FAI chief executive John Delaney confirmed on Monday that a board of management meeting would take place to approve an appointment.

He revealed that one name had been endorsed by the selection panel and that a media conference would be staged on Wednesday.

Trapattoni won six Serie A titles with Juventus and one with Inter Milan. He also led Bayern Munich, Benfica and Salzburg to league titles and managed Italy from 2000 to 2004.

A number of names had been linked to the Republic post, with former England coach Terry Venables reportedly keen to be Staunton's successor.

If Trappatoni is confirmed in his new post on Wednesday, it will bring to an end a long trawl for the new Republic boss following Staunton's sacking on 24 October last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7238507.stm

I am pretty convinced that he will fail... Only Italians seem to understand his football logic.

?

He's their head coach/manager (that's why they sacked Matthäus who didn't want to be just Trap's assistant).

I agree with the rest of your post though.

?

He's their head coach/manager (that's why they sacked Matthäus who didn't want to be just Trap's assistant).

Forgotten more about football than 90% of the managers in the world know.  O0

We have Italy in the qualifiers, wonder if he can mastermind 2 wins over them :razz:

I just love the way he connects with the game and his heart on the sleeve approach. Would have been good for us to help out after SBR.

?

Quite right. Thanks for the correction.

"Was erlaube Strunz??? Strunz ist immer verletzt!!"

I particulary love the way that 30 seconds later in the middle of talking about something else he just screams out 'immer verletzt' again.

The press conference from his time at Salzburg where he is ranting against bad press coverage isn't any better. To be found on youtube as well, just without subtitles (which doesn't matter as it doesn't make much sense anyway).

In fairness there was no relastic candidate for us!Sad to say but Im delighted we got him!THE  best of a bad lot tbh!Couldn bear to see Terry Venables in charge!An Irish pundit Eamonn Dunphy said he would be worried about his health if Venables got it,saying that he would ho back smoking 40 fags a day if he It happened!