Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

You really want me to list them dave?

Are you seriously suggesting we should rule out buying players from an entire continent just because we've had some shit players from there before?

Because if so, I don't think we'd be able to buy players from anywhere in the world.

Guest Sniffer

I'm saying that our track record is one of not being able to identify south americans...solano is the exception and he ain't no tevez....and I see no reason to think that has changed with the personnel we have now. So I wouldn't be too keen to invest heavily in players from there if I was Ashley. Far too risky.

Guest Sniffer

As long as you are satisfied with the quality of our SA signings that's the main thing wullie.

Guest Heneage

What South Americans would we actually be going for, the majority of this generation have got their moves to Europe. It's pointless trying to grasp if South americans as a whole are good or bad, because for every Gavilan you have Acuna, for every Bassedas you have Elano. It would be nice to see a few moves or bids for players early, as the longer you wait for the Euros the harder it gets.

As long as you are satisfied with the quality of our SA signings that's the main thing wullie.

Apart from the Englishman Alan Smith (and to some degree the Englishman Joey Barton away from the pitch), his signings have all worked out pretty well.

His signings weren't the problem, he just didn't have a clue how to use them.

Edit - forgot Rozehnal. Good thing we didn't sign that Modric, eh? Croatia's quite close to the Czech Republic after all. :lol:

Guest Heneage

Mentioned it in the Martins thread but 3 EPL clubs are looking at Nicola Zigic of Valencia, 1 is un-named.

Apart from the Englishman Alan Smith (and to some degree the Englishman Joey Barton away from the pitch), his signings have all worked out pretty well.

His signings weren't the problem, he just didn't have a clue how to use them.

Edit - forgot Rozehnal. Good thing we didn't sign that Modric, eh? Croatia's quite close to the Czech Republic after all. :lol:

SA - South American.

How many South Americans have we had in the Premiership era? Five maybe (Solano, Acuna, Bassedas, Gavilan, Cordone, any more?), of which two have been a success of sorts, not a bad record.

I hear Fergie and Sven want Smith and Barton back to replace Tevez and Elano though.

How many South Americans have we had in the Premiership era? Five maybe (Solano, Acuna, Bassedas, Gavilan, Cordone, any more?), of which two have been a success of sorts, not a bad record.

I hear Fergie and Sven want Smith and Barton back to replace Tevez and Elano though.

That Colombian bloke.

That Colombian bloke.

Oh aye, fucking hell. :lol:

3 out of 6 then (I know some will argue Tino wasn't, 2.5 in that case :razz:).

Guest Knightrider

We've had more luck with South Americans than many other nationalities. Solano, Tino, the Robledo Brothers, Acuna, Mirandinha, they all did the business in one way or another and become firm fan favourites so this idea that we've had our fingers burnt with South Americans too many times and therefore we should stay clear is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Guest Knightrider

Acuna was a good player. Feels like we used to win more games with him in the team than not from memory.

I still think he was slightly overrated by fans because he never seemed to play bad when he did play which wasn't often, not consistently anyway, but he certainly looked a good player and I'd liked to have seen more of him in our colours.

Someone on here mentioned Real Zaragoza player after they got relegated, any of the following would do me:

2  DF Carlos Diogo

8  MF Pablo Aimar

20  MF Francelino Matuzalém

21  MF Alberto Zapater

22  FW Diego Milito

12  FW Ewerthon

Matthieu Bodmer - Lyon

He played in Lyons 1-0 win over PSG in the french cup today, anyone know anything about his status there these days?

Out to lunch