Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Think Gareth Barry would be a quality acquisition. Poor man's Carrick, indeed keeping him out the england squad. Very verstalie and at a decent age as well. Would be an improvement on Butt and would be excellent back up for our LB position.

Why on earth would he give up being captain of Villa to come to Newcastle? This thread is so cringe-worthy with regards to names being banded about.

How is that cringeworthy?? We've signed captains from other clubs, Barton, Beye, Cacapa, Viduka(?), hell even Smith captained Man U a couple of times not the greatest example admittedly, but the idea that signing a player from a team who is on par with us is "unrealisitc" doesnt sit particulary neatly with me.

Forgive me for my naivety but are you sayin that we're in such a crap position we will be unable to sign any players from teams around Europe who are in a better situation than us? Will we be siging all our players from teams lower than us?

Think Gareth Barry would be a quality acquisition. Poor man's Carrick, indeed keeping him out the england squad. Very verstalie and at a decent age as well. Would be an improvement on Butt and would be excellent back up for our LB position.

Why on earth would he give up being captain of Villa to come to Newcastle? This thread is so cringe-worthy with regards to names being banded about.

I like the way some people STILL think of him as somewhat of a left back, every time he's mentioned. Hasn't played there for about six or seven years and the bloke himself wouldn't even entertain the idea tbh.

Your point is also very valid.

Who thinks he's a left back like?

Don't do your argument many favours listing Barton, Beye, Cacapa, Viduka and Smith.

:coolsmiley:

Tell me about it, really grasping at straws there, the point being though that it aint exactly a given that aplayer wont sign because he is a captain at another club.

My point was that Barry is a completely different case to all of those players, irrespective of their quality.

Again, its a fair point but maybe im being blindsighted, i know its a long shot, but he's the quality of player we should be after and also one who doesnt seem as fashoinable as the Carricks. If we're mentioning the likes of Bentley as potential targets then why not Barry, that captian explaination is a bit of a cop out explanation if you ask me.

Distin was captain at Citeh, not Barton.

Cacapa hardly played in his last season at Lyon & was not the captain during that season.

Viduka was not captain of Boro.

Smith? When did he captain Man Utd?

They've all capatined there teams at one point or another. Full stop. Like i say, cop out of a point.

Cacapa hardly played in his last season at Lyon & was not the captain during that season.

They've all capatined there teams at one point or another. Full stop. Like i say, cop out of a point.

Weak.

Weak.

Sorry master.

Just think we're diverting the from the point a little here, the point being that signing captains isnt an impossiblity as was being made out. Im sure we've gone for captains of sides throughout our history. Thought it was a cop out of a point thats all.

:thup:

Weak.

Sorry master.

Just think we're diverting the from the point a little here, the point being that signing captains isnt an impossiblity as was being made out. Im sure we've gone for captains of sides throughout our history. Thought it was a cop out of a point thats all.

Captains can be sold like any other player that is obvious, we sold Scott Parker. I just think that list of players you classed as captains were predominately not captains of there club prior to joining us, maybe wore the armband a few times or were x-captains.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Magpies to bid £4m for African star

by Ben Blackmore, 12 April 2008 setanta sports

Newcastle are planning a reported £4 million raid for 2006 Belgian Player of the Year Moubarak Boussoufa.

Magpies boss Kevin Keegan is believed to be keen to offload Emre Belozoglu in the summer in order to bring a more creative player to the middle of the park.

Boussoufa, a 23-year-old left-footed playmaker, is currently plying his trade at Anderlecht, and Newcastle will reportedly table a bid of €5 million on Monday.

The stumbling block could be the Moroccan's own desire to remain in Belgium for the immediate future, as well as rival interest from Atletico Madrid.

“I’m negotiating a contract until 2012,” he was quoted as saying in The Independent.

“It might be the best thing for me to stay one or two more years with Anderlecht.”

One name being mentioned is Esteban Granero of Real Madrid, currently on loan at Getafe.

Where is it being mentioned?

Oh just the usual spurs and Newcastle are interested in every player on the planet websites.

The Mirror was the original source iirc.

One name being mentioned is Esteban Granero of Real Madrid, currently on loan at Getafe.

Where is it being mentioned?

Oh just the usual spurs and Newcastle are interested in every player on the planet websites.

The Mirror was the original source iirc.