England #1?

Dr Spectrum

James should be number 1 for now.

However I think we have a good trio of young keepers in Hart, Carson and Foster.

Carson is being written off on here a bit but I still think he is a very talented keeper. Lacks confidence a bit at the minute but that is due to McClaren putting him in the nightmare pressure situation against Croatia.

Guest Hoop Blah

The thing with sticking with James is, he'll be almost 40 come the next World Cup...and we've seen with Seaman and Shilton previously the folly of sticking with goalies till that age. I think James is the best goalie in the league right now and for the past few years but come 2010 will he have enough spring in his step to claw away the inevitable looping free kick? I have my doubts.

Didn't seem to do Dino Zoff much harm...

James is a hell of an athelete and with the advances in modern training and diet etc etc I'm not sure we should be writing him off quite yet.  I don't think he'll be the number 1 come the 2010 finals, but I think we still need pick the better keeper now instead of risking damaging another keeper by throwing them in too early or when they're blatently out of form.

There isn't much difference in swapping a keeper mid-way through a qualifying campaign than it is throwing one in at the start, as long as they're given some experience in the lesser games/friendlies along the way.  That was the mistake with Carson, he was thrown into the must win pressure cooker of the last game without much preperation.

Guest The Libertine

james cant handle the pressure of england. he only ever seems to make huge errors in big/big-ish matches, which is a shame as he's a very good keeper normally.

Guest Hoop Blah

james cant handle the pressure of england. he only ever seems to make huge errors in big/big-ish matches, which is a shame as he's a very good keeper normally.

That's a bit harsh.  Don't you think you might just be remember his errors in 'big' games because they're the ones you get to see him in?

To be fair I can't remember him making many mistakes for England over the years.  His biggest cock up was probably in the 4-1 (??) hammering in the friendly against Denmark.  That hardly constitutes a big match though.  On the other hand I don't remember him pulling out a blunder in Portugal 2004 but I do remember some cracking saves against (I think) Turkey in the qualifiers and they were probably the biggest games of the campaign.

That's a bit harsh.  Don't you think you might just be remember his errors in 'big' games because they're the ones you get to see him in?

To be fair I can't remember him making many mistakes for England over the years.  His biggest cock up was probably in the 4-1 (??) hammering in the friendly against Denmark.  That hardly constitutes a big match though.  On the other hand I don't remember him pulling out a blunder in Portugal 2004 but I do remember some cracking saves against (I think) Turkey in the qualifiers and they were probably the biggest games of the campaign.

France in 2004.

in hindsight james got blasted for minor errors, while his successor robinson had a series of huge gaffes for england and spurs. not putting a man on the post to defend a freekick is not exactly a big blunder, and he couldn't do much about the penalty after gerrard's horror backpass.

Current form wise, over the past couple of years for Pompey, James has been one of the best goal keepers around. Although at times for England he has been suspect.

I think Green also deserves a place, he mostly impress's me when he plays. And the third slot, i dont personally know.

I wouldnt moan if it was Harte, but he isnt nowhere near a england started imo!

Guest Hoop Blah

I can't really understand the clamour for Green.

He's had some excellent games yes, pulled off a lot of good saves but he always seems very suspect on crosses to me.  He just can't handle it when there are bodies around him.  I'd much rather have James over Green.

Guest The Libertine

ive seen him play more for portsmouth than england with sky/setanta etc and often enough, he's a reason to watch a potentially boring game because he's so good.

as Mr 2j has said, the france game was a bad one for him, though others were definitely to blame too. ive found a few links to support my theory.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/3613302.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4154680.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4161724.stm

i do rate him highly for club, but at country level i dont trust him enough.

France in 2004.

Didn't he drop a bollock against Austria in the World Cup qualifiers?

Guest Hoop Blah

ive seen him play more for portsmouth than england with sky/setanta etc and often enough, he's a reason to watch a potentially boring game because he's so good.

as Mr 2j has said, the france game was a bad one for him, though others were definitely to blame too. ive found a few links to support my theory.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/3613302.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4154680.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4161724.stm

i do rate him highly for club, but at country level i dont trust him enough.

Fair enough, although thats two games out of what, 40 caps?

I'm not saying he's fullproof, just that he gets a bad press for some reason.  Maybe it's just because his name was good for the Calamity James nickname.

I don't really blame him for the France goals either. 

James is easily the most talented keeper we've had in years. There is definitely a question mark about his 'big game temperament' to use a cliche. The Chelsea v Villa Cup Final being perhaps the best example. I do think he is currently worthy of his place though.

What was that about Almunia being able to play for England?

At the end of this year i think it is, he has lived in England for so long and not played for spain so he would become elligible!

I cant think of any better options than having Almunia and James tbh!

This country doesnt have its own Buffon/Casillas!

At the end of this year i think it is, he has lived in England for so long and not played for spain so he would become elligible!

I'll be very surprised if Almunia is allowed to play for England.  He's not good enough for us to resort to playing someone who can only play because they've lived here for a few years.

I'll be very surprised if Almunia is allowed to play for England.  He's not good enough for us to resort to playing someone who can only play because they've lived here for a few years.

Yeh, i spose, its not like a too good a player to turn down type of thing, but i dont think with our goal keeping situation we can be picky!

I seem to remember reading when Capello was appointed that the FA told him he wasnt allowed to pick foriegners like Almunia, Cudicini, Arteta... :undecided: