England #1?

Dr Spectrum

Story floating around the wires this morning...A lot of the papers have picked up on these quotes Don Fabio has given on italian radio and are thinking Joe Hart will be the new England #1 come France next month.

Capello hints at Hart call up

19/ 2/2008

ENGLAND boss Fabio Capello has hinted that City goalkeeper Joe Hart will receive a senior call up for the forthcoming friendly against France.

Capello reckons David James' recall in goal against Switzerland is proof of the lack of depth in the English game, noting that the number of foreign players in the Premier League means "the pool is reduced" when it comes to squad selection.

England play at the Stade de France on March 26 and the Italian's goalkeeping options are limited, with Scott Carson out of favour following his howler against Croatia in November, Paul Robinson on the bench at Tottenham and Manchester United's Ben Foster currently injured.

Capello told Rai Radio Anch'io in Italy: "Only 38% of the players are English.

"The pool is reduced.

"I have had to reinstate a 37-year-old goalkeeper but I have spotted one in the Under-21s who is very interesting."

I don't know how to do a poll (:uglystupid2:) but who do you think it should be? I think Hart looks as talented as anyone but he's only played 20 games - Is that too inexperienced to be thrown at the deep end at international level? Or should it be a case of blooding him with an eye on WC 2010 rather than have him come in when the chips are down like Carson. Or is he the wrong man altogether and we should be sticking with James, or going for Green or someone else....in which case who?

Whatever the level of Hart's talent, the Carson fiasco should have alerted everyone to the risks of pitching in an inexperienced keeper into an important international match.

Personally, I don't think Hart looks anywhere near ready.

I agree that he's a bit too inexperienced to be first choice but, like you say, we don't have many high pressure games for a while, so playing him as first choice now would give him the experience he lacks at the moment.  This experience could allow him to gain a confidence base for the actual big games.  It may be good planning.

I always thought that Richard Wright was a canny goalkeeper mind and would eventually be England's number 1, so my opinion's probably one to ignore.

i think it would be crazy to put him in.

robert green has been class all season and isnt anywhere near a call up, so to pick a kid of 20 games or so would be silly.

i honestly dont think we should look past james for the next year or so, the form he's in he deserves to be between the sticks, then look at this hart kid once he's had some time to develop a bit more/get a bit more experience.

for the record (although im no city expert), i dont think hart will play if sven can get hold of a keeper in the summer.

For me personally I think Robert Green should be the current #1, he's been outstanding for the majority of this season but as Lovejoy's said he's nowhere near the squad never mind pushing for number 1 which is craziness in my eyes!!!

Guest Hoop Blah

James has been the best keeper in the Premiership for two seasons now.  I don't see the point in looking elsewhere just because he's 37.  Goalkeeper is such a specialized position, and one that is so exposed by the errors usually being pretty costly, that throwing in a lad with so little experience is such a gamble. 

As for the future well I can see Hart, Robinson and Carson all competing for the shirt but I think Ben Foster will be the number one as long as he can regain the form and fitness he showed over his two season at Watford.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

I wouldn't be too disheartened to see Hart get his chance.  He's an excellent prospect, and for him to be City's number 1 he can't be all that bad.

The thing with sticking with James is, he'll be almost 40 come the next World Cup...and we've seen with Seaman and Shilton previously the folly of sticking with goalies till that age. I think James is the best goalie in the league right now and for the past few years but come 2010 will he have enough spring in his step to claw away the inevitable looping free kick? I have my doubts.

From what I have seen of Joe Hart I do feel he has the ability to play for England, and on form looks a better player than all his rivals bar James. But its much too soon, I don't think he's made a single howler that has cost us a goal yet, he's far too wet around the ears to play for the full side, being able to make saves and take a catch isn't enought, he's yet to show his character.

So...IMO, I think they should forget James (Sorry, your time has gone), but the eye for the future shouldn't be turned to Hart just yet. I think Robert Green deserves a chance. If he takes it, good look to the lad, if he doesnt, maybe then look at Hart. But not now.

Guest Stephen927

Ideally you want a goalkeeper who will be inbetween the sticks from now until the end of the World Cup in 2010.

If you're going to drop James, it has to be done now, but I would say he has been good enough to keep the shirt. The only doubt for me is his age, but I think he's got enough in him to last until after the World Cup, by which time the likes of Hart will be that little bit more experienced.

Don't see the harm in giving Hart a call up as back up for the France game, just to let him get a feel for the place and to work with the squad, then it won't be as hard for him to come in if his chance comes to take that number 1 shirt.

All he's said there is that he thinks he looks interesting. Hardly means he's about to be fast-tracked to #1 by March.

This.

Fuking hell talk about jumping the gun like.  :rolleyes:

Its not just that he said he was interesting, its the dismissive way that he talks about his rivals for the position that has got the papers jumping the gun.

All he's said there is that he thinks he looks interesting. Hardly means he's about to be fast-tracked to #1 by March.

This.

Its not just that he said he was interesting, its the dismissive way that he talks about his rivals for the position that has got the papers jumping the gun.

What has he actually said word for word?

He's not even mentioned a single name has he not?

He's just talking about how hard his job is by the amount of foreign players there are in the league using the keeper issue as an example.

This.

He's just talking about how hard his job is by the amount of foreign players there are in the league using the keeper issue as an example.

"I was forced to re-instate a 37 year old goalkeeper"

Charming.

This.

"I was forced to re-instate a 37 year old goalkeeper"

Charming.

That means Hart is now number 1.  :lol: