We need to spend £ 150 million..............

Rob W

I love empty statements like something 'can work and work well if done properly'.

f*** me, with insight like that you should be working at McKinsey.

Ok, how about 'Arnesen did make it work for Spurs but if he had not known what he was doing Arnesen could have seriously f*cked the club's finances'? O0

I love empty statements like something 'can work and work well if done properly'.

f*** me, with insight like that you should be working at McKinsey.

Ok, how about 'Arnesen did make it work for Spurs but if he had not known what he was doing Arnesen could have seriously f*cked the club's finances'? O0

:laugh:

How much does a top class defence cost? 40 million quite easily...

How much do 2 excellent midfielders cost? 20 million...

Another striker with a bit of hunger (not Viduka's hunger!!)? 20 million

80 MILLION TO GET US ANYWHERE NEAR WHERE WE WANT/DESERVE TO BE!!!

Funny that as the team top of the league have made a profit on transfers over the last 5 years and have never been big spenders.  In fact you could argue that their most expensive buys have been among their worst.

You don't need to throw ridiculous amounts of money at the problem if you do some decent scouting.  Unless you just want to keep the fans happy of course.

Funny that as the team top of the league have made a profit on transfers over the last 5 years and have never been big spenders.  In fact you could argue that their most expensive buys have been among their worst.

You don't need to throw ridiculous amounts of money at the problem if you do some decent scouting.  Unless you just want to keep the fans happy of course.

We desperately need to buy some quality, I think most are aware of that.

Kevin Keegan wants Lionel Messi but even Lionel Blair would turn Newcastle down

By David McDonnell25/02/2008

Keegan may have lost the plot in agreeing to return to Newcastle, but at least he has hasn't lost his sense of humour. Squirming in his seat during the media inquest into Newcastle's painful 5-1 defeat by United, Keegan was asked about future transfer targets and produced a commendably self-deprecating response.

"We'll look at anybody," said Keegan. "We're looking at Barcelona players because you never lose your optimism in this game. We've looked at Ronaldinho, Messi, Deco, all of them."

Given Newcastle's current plight, they would have trouble securing the services of Lionel Blair, let alone Lionel Messi such is the level of concern surrounding the club following Keegan's second coming.

:lol:

Kevin Keegan wants Lionel Messi but even Lionel Blair would turn Newcastle down

By David McDonnell25/02/2008

Keegan may have lost the plot in agreeing to return to Newcastle, but at least he has hasn't lost his sense of humour. Squirming in his seat during the media inquest into Newcastle's painful 5-1 defeat by United, Keegan was asked about future transfer targets and produced a commendably self-deprecating response.

"We'll look at anybody," said Keegan. "We're looking at Barcelona players because you never lose your optimism in this game. We've looked at Ronaldinho, Messi, Deco, all of them."

Given Newcastle's current plight, they would have trouble securing the services of Lionel Blair, let alone Lionel Messi such is the level of concern surrounding the club following Keegan's second coming.

:lol:

lol that is brillant

We have two class defenders in Beye and Faye, and a decent first team/ future player in Taylor. We need to spend big on another class centre back which will cost around 12 mil, and another left back to fight for a place with enrique which sould cost around 7 mil.

Then we need atleast one central midfielder worth around 20 mil, a 8-15 mil right winger with Milner staying to fight for a place.

That's all I think we will need for this summer, 60 mil. Then we can see which signings go wrong, or which areas the team lacks in and bolster the squad further in january/next season.

The issue is now clubs don't need to sell players to make ends meet.

We are also screwed because we are in the North East and another factor is we have a team of players with very little resale value bar Zog.

Who would buy Michael Owen for say £5 million and then have to fork out £20 million in wages over 4 years?

Spend £150 million? lol... has Mort or Ashley ever said they were going to spend £50million+ this summer?  I've not seen any official statement suggesting we will spend anything near these amounts. 

People must not get carried away.  Just because Ashley has money, it doesn't mean he's going to blow another big chunk of it on Newcastle so soon or at such a massive amount.  He's spent a lot buying the club and another load on clearing debt.  It's clear we need to spend and replace a lot of players, but I can't see us signing anymore than 6 or 7 first team players in the summer, and I reckon the amount spent will never be any more than £50million.  If it is, I will be shocked...

Where are people getting these ideas from that its a dead cert we are going to spend mega big in the summer? If there is a link to an official story, please let me know what it is so I can have a read.

Guest f***thepress

£30 m is a more likely figure , then take into account how much we might claw back by moving on certain players - Ameobi, smith, Duff, carr, viduka, barton, etc not just in terms of fees (get nowt for carr), but also wages .We only spent big after a couple of seasons under Kev last time; who'd heard of Andy Cole before Kev bought him?Expect some players few people have heard of but who hopefully turn out as good as Cole , Solano etc

If we dont get relegated then Mr Ashley should consider himself a very very lucky individual as none of his decision making has been with this in mind, only the performance of the team next season. He assumed we were fine but we werent, hopefully this not inconsiderable gamble will pay off.

He then has to look at this enormous piece of luckiness and realise that he has to go with it and gamble heavily, monstrously on TALENT.

TALENT will lift arses off seats, TALENT will get us singing, TALENT will win us foortball matches and TALENT will cost a fucking arm and a leg.

Anything less than 50m NET on the table this summer will be inadequate and given the nature and attractiveness of the club, some of that will need to be gambled (like SBR did on Robert etc) on players that are not 100% dead certs.

If we dont get relegated then Mr Ashley should consider himself a very very lucky individual as none of his decision making has been with this in mind, only the performance of the team next season. He assumed we were fine but we werent, hopefully this not inconsiderable gamble will pay off.

He then has to look at this enormous piece of luckiness and realise that he has to go with it and gamble heavily, monstrously on TALENT.

TALENT will lift arses off seats, TALENT will get us singing, TALENT will win us foortball matches and TALENT will cost a fucking arm and a leg.

Anything less than 50m NET on the table this summer will be inadequate and given the nature and attractiveness of the club, some of that will need to be gambled (like SBR did on Robert etc) on players that are not 100% dead certs.

Could not agree more, to a word.

haha oh god I laughed too hard at that, I'm dilerious!  :cheesy:

Saved me a post.

Keegan hasn't lost a game to anyone outside the European places.

We'll not get relegated.

It's not even a risk.

A few decent signings - don't have to be blockbusters, just decent - in a few key areas, would change us dramatically.

Left back, a defensive midfielder and a forward to compliment Martins and Owen.

Don't have to spend much; they just have to be better than Butt, Smith and Enrique... ...and more mobile than Viduka.

Wholesale changes are a disaster waiting to happen.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

given faye beye milner duff owen viduka martins, 8 very good premiership players, we dont need 15, we need to be realistic, buy 4 top players, and some very good premiership players

His eminence Parky reckoned we needed to spend £ 100 million over 2-3 years a couple of months back

I reckon we need a complete new team  ..................15 players @ £ 10 mm on average...............................

and that might get us up to Liverpool's standard

the current champions, soon to be re-crowned, who slaughtered us on saturday, did so by virtue of the fact that their 5 forwards who played cost approx 70m between them to buy. Value now higher in the case of 4 of those players.

Not an academy player in sight among them.

Just goes to show eh ? What absolute crap is this "lets pour all our eggs into the youth policy" hoping to build successful sides on the cheap.

His eminence Parky reckoned we needed to spend £ 100 million over 2-3 years a couple of months back

I reckon we need a complete new team  ..................15 players @ £ 10 mm on average...............................

the current champions, soon to be re-crowned, who slaughtered us on saturday, did so by virtue of the fact that their 5 forwards who played cost approx 70m between them to buy. Value now higher in the case of 4 of those players.

Just goes to show eh ? What absolute crap is this "lets pour all our eggs into the youth policy" hoping to build successful sides on the cheap.

Man Utd have a great youth academy. It's called Portugal.

Man U can afford to buy the best thanks to ten years of success with the likes of Beckham, Scholes, Neville, Giggs, Butt, Brown etc

Also, absurd though this may sound, nowadays it is actually pretty difficult to spend 150m pounds. You don't need to just have the money, you need to be able to persuade the players to move.

I've said this before but look at players like David Bentley. In the past that type of player would have been a lot easier for the likes of you, us, Everton, Citeh to buy, but these days there's little incentive to make a sideways move and lots of incentive to stay where you are, big fish in a small pool, and hope one of the top four comes in.

The only distorting factor is for clubs like Spurs and West Ham, who have the London factor to offer.

Incidentally - don't take this the wrong way, but I'm struggling to think of a club which needs the gradual building of solid foundations rather than a frenzy of hopeful spending more than Newcastle does.

This is once aspect people are forgetting, people may not want to come here.  You can bid for 10 players all rated at £15million, but would they really come here?  If they are rated at £15million they must be pretty good, meaning that there is most likely other clubs in the market for them.  Without European football, and currently a very poor squad that is only marginally doing better than the teams hovering around relegation, you have to say that its unlikely that a lot of players of the £15m calibre will decide to come here.

David Bentley is someone I want to see here, but if Everton, Spurs, West Ham, Villa etc. all bid for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he chose any of them ahead of us.  We could offer silly wages, but some of these teams may do the same...

Man U can afford to buy the best thanks to ten years of success with the likes of Beckham, Scholes, Neville, Giggs, Butt, Brown etc

thats right, they never bought anybody before that, and neither did Liverpool during their 20 years of dominance.

:clap: