We need to spend £ 150 million..............

Rob W

So what's the most we've ever spent net in any transfer window?

I need to know what Mort has to spend before he can be classed as our most ambitious chairman ever.

I think that honour goes to Souness, if you're looking for a benchmark use him.

Am i the only one who prefers net spend as a figure? (General question)

I prefer both then you see the whole picture.

His highest spend for one window was £39,000,000, I'll work out the net spend and edit this when I've done it.

So what's the most we've ever spent net in any transfer window?

I need to know what Mort has to spend before he can be classed as our most ambitious chairman ever.

I think that honour goes to Souness, if you're looking for a benchmark use him.

In

Parker - £6.5m

Emre - £3.8m

Krul - ?

Solano - £1.5m

Owen - £16m

Luque - £10m

Out

O'Brien - £2m

Bellamy - £4.5m

Ambrose - £1m

Jenas - £9m

Hughes - £1m

So we're talking £20.3 million unless anyone has a problem with those figures?

That's what Mort has to beat to be our most ambitious chairman ever. :smug:

Souness spent £36.5m in summer 2005, tho he also spent £11.5m in the January window of that year, whereas we spent nothing this jan. so passing £48m would do the trick. Though of course with transfer inflation/spike in tv income, you could perhaps increase that figure by say 25% to £60m to give a more comparable figure.

Souness spent £36.5m in summer 2005, tho he also spent £11.5m in the January window of that year, whereas we spent nothing this jan. so passing £48m would do the trick. Though of course with transfer inflation/spike in tv income, you could perhaps increase that figure by say 25% to £60m to give a more comparable figure.

There's the line in the sand right there.

2 different seasons of spending surely?

The calendar year in football is June 1st until May 31st so we really should use that.

So we've got it, if Ashley spends £48.1 million in 12 months and we get relegated he will be more ambitious than Shepherd was when we had our best ever CL finish, or Sir John and Shepherd when we finished 2nd twice.

That sounds stupid but it's what we've been told for long enough.   :coolsmiley:

If you want to do it Johnny's way then this should be correct.

In

Parker - £6.5m

Emre - £3.8m

Krul - ?

Solano - £1.5m

Owen - £16m

Luque - £10m

Boumsong - £8m

Faye - £2m

Babayaro - 1M

Out

O'Brien - £2m

Bellamy - £4.5m

Ambrose - £1m

Jenas - £9m

Hughes - £1m

Bernard - £400k

So we're talking £30.9 million.

2 different seasons of spending surely?

The calendar year in football is June 1st until May 31st so we really should use that.

that was all 2005 spending so it makes sense to compare it to 2008 spending. alternatively it would make just as much sense to compare it with summer 2008/january2009, if we spend £60m in those two windows then Mort will match Shepherd's outlay for Souness. obviously the net figure will probably be a bit lower, since a few will end up leaving, Rozehnal for one is off in the summer.

Those were Souness's first two windows of opportunity and January plus Summer are Keegan's first two. There is an argument that Keegan wasn't in charge long enough to use the Jan window so, again, you could use Summer 2008/Jan 2009 instead as a good comparison.

Adjusting for inflation takes us near the £50m mark. I'll be happy if he hits £40m over the summer but i think it will take a lot more than that over the next 18 months to sort out the squad.

[/dodgy economist]

Transfer figures haven't gone up that much in the past 2 years, I'd say if the club spend more than £35 million net then Mort will be our most ambitious chairman ever in terms of spending.

Adjusting for inflation takes us near the £50m mark. I'll be happy if he hits £40m over the summer but i think it will take a lot more than that over the next 18 months to sort out the squad.

[/dodgy economist]

People aren't looking at the wider eventualities.

Rozy, Zoggy, Owen, Enrique and Emre will leave in the summer and poss one other will be deemed defunct ie Viduka.

So we will be 5/6 players down even before the spending begins.

Zoggy may well recoup £6-7m (ballpark) but we won't get more than £10m for the rest combined if we're lucky (does Owen leave on a free??).

Setting aside strikers for now, re-building the heart of the side ie the midfield and left side (Enrique and Zoggy) is where the £30-35m net will go.

2CM's

1LB

1LW

1CD

£50m (£30m net)

Then of course we need to step up a level from where we are now so we need to add a RW and a world class striker/back up striker. (replace Owen and Viduka).

RW

FW

FW

£40m

If KK is looking for at least one top tier forward he will cost £20m ish.

If we're seriously targeting top 6 this is what we'll need to spend and then another £100m the summer after if we're looking to challenge for top 4.

Talk of £30m net etc is bollox will get us nowhere fast.

*I haven't even inc a new goalkeeper.