Alan Smith's Contract.

Crumpy Gunt

The reason Smith has played is simple, we've had no good striker to play in his place.  Martins has been away and Viduka is a lazy fuckwit.  We could have played Carroll or Ameobi yes, but neither of them are an obvious choice.

That doesn't explain why he played half the season in midfield.

Guest battyleespeed

I don't think KK will risk starting Carroll unless he is really desperate. There is a huge gap in experience between those two plus KK has to think what would be Smith's, other players and public reaction if he drops Smith for youth player. Reeks desperation IMO and if it fails KK will certainly take the heat. Safer option is to start with Smith and give Carroll some sub minutes to see how he does. Exactly what KK seems to be doing.

I don't think KK will risk starting Carroll unless he is really desperate. There is a huge gap in experience between those two plus KK has to think what would be Smith's, other players and public reaction if he drops Smith for youth player. Reeks desperation IMO and if it fails KK will certainly take the heat. Safer option is to start with Smith and give Carroll some sub minutes to see how he does. Exactly what KK seems to be doing.

Yes, I've thought that as well.  If he plays Carroll, he'll be crucified if the results don't go our way.  TBF though, that's not the only reason why he shouldn't be playing him.

Guest slimbob

If Martins is fit, surely he has to start with Owen?

You would have thought so, oba's inconsistancy can infuriate me at times, but i'll take it over smiths consistant shiteness any day of the week.

If Martins is fit, surely he has to start with Owen?

I daresay that KK will give it a go. Neither of them are much good at holding the ball up though, and I can't see it working.

I don't think it would work like that, but maybe if the ball is played to feet they could fashion a Beardsley/Cole type of partnership. I don't think Smith's great at holding the ball up either. Viduka is much better if you are looking for that role.

The reason Smith has played is simple, we've had no good striker to play in his place.  Martins has been away and Viduka is a lazy fuckwit.  We could have played Carroll or Ameobi yes, but neither of them are an obvious choice.

Allardyce..... that explains everything.

Both things that Teasy wrote in the above quotes are bang on.

Even Newcastle United wouldn't put such a clause in a player's contract.

Both things that Teasy wrote in the above quotes are bang on.

Even Newcastle United wouldn't put such a clause in a player's contract.

Not one as ordinairy as Smith in any case.

Even if he is the only fit striker he still shouldn't play. I just can't see how somebody who contributes absolutely nothing except negative attributes makes it into the team week in, week out and plays the full 90 minutes each go. The only thing that I hear in his favour is that "he gives 100%". I've given up hoping he won't play for us, he's just like an annoying floater that won't be flushed down the toilet, no matter how many attempts. You know what I'm talking about.

The chairman wears a jersey with his name on the back, the chairman likes him, thus he must start every game..why is that so hard to understand.

I was wondering why he always wears a jacket, it must be to hide that jersey, thanks for the info.

Since Keegan returned Mike Ashley has had 'Keegan' on the back of his shirt hasn't he?

Mort said there would be no more release clauses like Owen and Martins are supposed to have so I doubt they'd agree to a clause where a player must play every game if fit.

If he did have such a clause I'm pretty sure the club would break the clause and not play him rather than get relegated by playing him up front every game!

It is worrying how he keeps getting a game though.

Maybe the fans should sing "Alan Smith, we all think you are fucking shite, please prove us wrong by scoring some goals".

Guest float one in

I can't believe any club, even one as daft as ours, would put a clause like that in a player's contract. Does anyone know of a precedent anywhere? Wind up methinks.