Keegan eyes spending spree

sparta

dont know if its been posted before... skysports news :)

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan is confident he will be handed a lucrative summer transfer kitty as he bids to strengthen his struggling squad.

Keegan has yet to record a victory as Magpies boss since returning for his second stint in the St James' Park hot-seat in January.

And that lowly run of form has seen Newcastle slump into relegation danger as they sit in 13th position in the Premier League and only six points clear of the drop zone.

Keegan recognises he needs to bring up to five new faces to Tyneside to bolster his ranks and says he has been promised money to spend by Newcastle owner Mike Ashley.

Priority

But Keegan, who welcomes European hopefuls Blackburn to the North East on Saturday, insists his main priority is to secure Newcastle's place in the top flight next season.

"We haven't really discussed it but I was promised money when I came so it'll be there," Keegan told the Newcastle Chronicle. "I don't think I need worry about that.

"But the first thing I need to do is get to 40 points and make sure we're in the Premier League. That's still there to be done.

"Then I've got to go and get the three, four or five players that are hopefully going to turn this place around.

"I've got a small squad. There are so few options within this squad."

comments?

we need more than 3,4 or 5 imo.

that number would have done for januray for starters.

i reckon we need about ten all in all, 5 to come straight in to the team and about 5 for the squad

Four or five of the right quality going straight into the first team will transform us.

Carr, Ramage and probably Rozehnal will be leaving anyway (contracts up/Lazio), so that's two or three more I suppose.

we need more than 3,4 or 5 imo.

that number would have done for januray for starters.

i reckon we need about ten all in all, 5 to come straight in to the team and about 5 for the squad

Four or five of the right quality going straight into the first team will transform us.

Carr, Ramage and probably Rozehnal will be leaving anyway (contracts up/Lazio), so that's two ot three more I suppose.

i agree it will transform the first team, but our issues are much deeper than that, i'd like to see a lot more than 3,4 or 5 of the current squad leave, and we're thin now

Keegan's in a tough spot to be sure.  He knows the team is hurting confidence-wise and to say that he'll need to bring in ~10 players will probably hurt confidence even more.  On the other hand, he wants to show that there is some light at the end of the tunnel for next year.   He can't be trying to pump up the team and prevent a relegation free fall out of one side of his mouth and be trying to tell fans he'll be active in the summer transfer market out of the other side of his mouth.

Rock and a hard place for sure.

If we sign 5 very good players that are all 1st team starters and better than what we have, then 5 would be a good amount.  It may be that Keegan is planning to keep everyone, but knock 5 players back to squad players and take 6 from out current setup (perhaps keeping and playing Beye, Faye, Taylor, Duff, N'Zogbia and Owen) and adding the new 5 to play alongside these.

5 quality players would make a massive difference to the 1st team, but I still don't like the idea of having some players here next year.

Smith

Butt

Carr

Ameobi.

These have got to go this year.

Partner for owen

Player of Petrov (city) style/quality CM

Carrick type CM

Solid CB

Fast right winger

Yeah this would be good, but I'd also like to see a youth right back and a youth centre midfield come in too.  We need quality young players to be coming up the ranks in some of our weak positions, and if they are good enough, act as cover for first team.

IF we can get 3-5 top class players, then it could be enough.

It all depends on the quality though. Pointless buying 3-5 more of the sort of players we got in the summer, they will all need to be a cut above.

Guest jcricthon

I have to disagree with everyone that is wanting a quick right winger. We wouldn't have replaced Nobby pre his Villa move and Milner can be just as good, he has the quality and is about as quick (not very).

I'd prefer to get a quick tricky player to make runs through the middle which is what we are desperately lacking. I agree a Petrov-style player (maybe even Petrov) but play them in the centre and have Milner and Zog on the flanks. Then get an intelligent player who can see what he wants to do with the ball before he even gets it, someone that can hold it, delay a pass, put a quick ball over the top or even play it back if needs be. We desperately need someone clever, a quick thinker. I think our midfield has been neglected after years of having those positions pick themselves.

Milner needs to start getting goals to be worth his place in the side long term. Not loads, just enough to justify taking up a forward position. We don't get enough goals from midfield in general.

Guest maddog2

Quality should be the criteria not quantity. We're not short on players.

But with the position we are in, it would be hard to attract quality players.

Quality should be the criteria not quantity. We're not short on players.

But with the position we are in, it would be hard to attract quality players.

I think we are short on players though, hence why some of them command a place all the time (Smith, Butt, Barton etc)

I think people are going too far in expecting us to sell 11 and bring in 16, it's very hard to buy quality players as generally many teams will want these players if they are so good.  So finding another 10+ quality players would be very difficult, and there is a gamble that some of those players maybe end being worse than our current ones.

I'd actually keep all our current squad if the 5 names that were coming in were top class.  It would mean that all the people who are commanding starts, would have to really fight to even get a place on the bench.  This may in turn see a change of attitude on the pitch, determination and work rate.  A lot of players are straight back in the first team after injury because we have no decent quality in depth.  Our players should be fighting for the right to play in the black and white and be easily replaced with another person wanting that spot if they aren't up to it.

Milner needs to start getting goals to be worth his place in the side long term. Not loads, just enough to justify taking up a forward position. We don't get enough goals from midfield in general.

He should get more goals.  He has the ability to shoot well, I guess its lack of decent movement and passing in the team to get players like Milner in good places to shoot from isn't helping.

Aye, I think we're a bit thin on the ground in terms of quality and quantity. Allardyce - through good luck or good management - did somehow sort out the perennial injury crisis and if it wasn't for that, the size of the squad would be more apparent.