Martins to sign a new contract

sempuki

And he'd never heard of Keegan???????????????????????????

Really hard to believe!!!!

Martins - Kevin who?

Magpies striker did not know who manager was

By James Pearson  Last updated: 29th February 2008

Obafemi Martins has admitted when Newcastle United turned to fans' favourite Kevin Keegan he did not know anything about the 'Geordie messiah'.

The Magpies were on the look-out for a new man at the helm in early January after Sam Allardyce was given his marching orders.

Newcastle sensationally turned to former boss Keegan, who had the team challenging for the Premier League title last time around, but Martins did not know what the fanfare was all about.

It was only after speaking with Toon team-mate Geremi that the former Internazionale forward was filled in on Keegan's past exploits.

Important person

"I honestly didn't know anything about him," he told The Sun. "But I quickly learned things and realised what an important person he was.

"It was Geremi who told me all about Kevin Keegan. He rang while we were both out in Ghana - Geremi was with Cameroon - to say that Keegan had been this great player and what a good manager he was for Newcastle.

"When I got back we had to introduce ourselves to each other. I had an ankle injury but Keegan told me he wanted me back and fit to help the team. I told him I wanted that, too."

New deal

Meanwhile, Martins has vowed to sign a fresh five-year Newcastle contract within the next fortnight.

"It should be sorted out in the next two weeks. I want to stay here because I love the fans and they love me," he added.

"I can imagine playing for Newcastle for many, many years. I have settled in well, the area is cool and I'm happy."

brilliant news if true - we wont be able to attract any player of his or better quality in the next few years.... so we need to keep thos we have...

it doesn't surprise me at all :D

I know he's a bit thick but could anyone playing for Newcastle or indeed playing professional football not know who Keegan is? It's staggering if it's true.

if it's Martins than not :D

disgraceful if true. At liverpool the new players are made to study there history and all time great players, such a shame that we don't do that. Maybe explains the lack of passion from most of the foreigners

disgraceful if true. At liverpool the new players are made to study there history and all time great players, such a shame that we don't do that. Maybe explains the lack of passion from most of the foreigners

OMG

wasic

Guest johnson293

Great news hope it happens and I hope no get out claus this time..

Yeah, I think thats one of the main reasons for offering him a new deal to be honest.

Remember Mort saying (when they took over) that they would enusre that no future contracts would have get-out clauses - and while Owen's appears to have disappeared, Martins was probably still very active.

I know being forced to study something always made me passionate about the subject...

Do they get tested on it?

if players were made to study our history they would be handing a transfer request in within days of signing!!

if players were made to study our history they would be handing a transfer request in within days of signing!!

:-)

I know being forced to study something always made me passionate about the subject...

Do they get tested on it?

:lol:

Martins comes across as being thick as pig's shit anyway so I can't say this latest 'revelation' is too worrying on that score.

Great news hope it happens and I hope no get out claus this time..

Yeah, I think thats one of the main reasons for offering him a new deal to be honest.

Remember Mort saying (when they took over) that they would enusre that no future contracts would have get-out clauses - and while Owen's appears to have disappeared, Martins was probably still very active.

i'd be more tempted to call it 'dormant' than active, to be fair

Guest float one in

I don't like Martins and don't want to see us pinning our hopes on him for seasons to come.

However if KK puts him in now I reckon Martins could have a big influence on whether we stay up - you always fancy that if he's given a run of 10 games he might pop up with 3-4 goals out of nothing. That is exactly what we need now - just goals from somewhere, anywhere.

In the long term, he is the type of footballer who will not help us to develop into a consistent, settled side with a consitent, settled style of play. He's just too hit and miss - everybody knows how woeful his approach play is. Would hate to see us giving him a massive new contract.

Good news.

If KK wants to turn this club around, he needs to work with Martins. We need to get Shearer in ASAP to work on him too.

I'm glad he's committed, its been a huge fall from grace for him from Inter, he's put up with a lot of shite, but he seem attached to us, and i'm grateful he's gone that way, i know he has a lot of weaknesses, but he also has a lot of key strengths our club lacks without him. I hope we can fill in the blanks.

Great news in fact.