Martins to sign a new contract

sempuki

Martins is only 22 (allegedly) so is still pretty young and considering he has been stuck out in Italy and has only been here for just over a season, I don't know why people are so surprised he doesn't know too much about Keegan. I mean it's not like Keegan actually won us any trophies (no disrespect intended!), so give Martins a break.

If this talk of a new contract is true then surely it means Owen's time is up? I wouldn't want two shorties playing upfront if it can be avoided and so better to let Mickey go tbh.

Get a goalscoring target man type, who Martins can play off without the pressure to get all the goals, allowing him to be his random best! Keegan as a former striker should certainly get more out of him too, with a bit of work on the the training pitch.

I'd like to think Martins and Owen would be peddled in the long run.

Why though?

Look ... if we can build a class midfield with ability on the ball and good passing and movement, and then bring in a quality target man with a good touch and goalscoring ability i.e. a Berbatov type, then Martins lesser points wouldn't be as glaring, and his strengths would shine even more.

Martins is unpredictable and that can be a very valuable commodity! He can and does produce things out of nothing. That goal against Tottenham was the reason we won that game. The manner of the goal totally knocked the air out of Tottenham and their fans and inspired our team, especially as Tottenham had started so strongly against us.

We absolutely have to keep Martins especially now we have an attack minded manager who will surround him with good attacking players and also help him develop.

Because I don't think either are good enough (Martins has too many faults to his game and Owen is nowhere near the striker he was). The fact people bang on about that goal against Spurs so much (fanstastic as it was) shows how little he's done since (it was over a year ago). Don't really want to go over the pros and cons of him again fwiw. It's been done to death. Wouldn't mind having him as a squad player who can make an impact off the bench. I'm talking about an ideal scenario btw, hence the 'in the long run' bit. Both Owen and Martins are very important to us in the immediate future.

Well, if we do sell him then I hope it's not too another decent prem club like Man City, Arsenal, Villa or West Ham because we will regret it.

The young guy has only played one year of football as a first teamer and peole think he will always remain the same player and never improve.

I continue to hope for the best. Always remembering the ludicrous things that were said about Adebayor just a year ago, although many deny it now. I also refuse to forget Martins best game for us at home versus AZ where he was sensational for the whole 90 mins. If we ever get that kind of performance out of him consistently ... bingo.

Well, if we do sell him then I hope it's not too another decent prem club like Man City, Arsenal, Villa or West Ham because we will regret it.

The young guy has only played one year of football as a first teamer and peole think he will always remain the same player and never improve.

I continue to hope for the best. Always remembering the ludicrous things that were said about Adebayor just a year ago, although many deny it now. I also refuse to forget Martins best game for us at home versus AZ where he was sensational for the whole 90 mins. If we ever get that kind of performance out of him consistently ... bingo.

Not only has it been done to death but people end up putting words into your mouth if you say you don't rate him. Another reason I'll pass on regurgitating that debate thanks.

Nothing wrong with selling Martins in the future, but we would need to get a very good and importantly PACY striker in to allow us to do that, as he's the only forward at the club who gives us that.

This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like the day i heard he was coming to use.

Love the guy, loved him at Inter, love him even more in B&W

Guest RodrigoPalacio

This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like the day i heard he was coming to use.

:idiot2:

:idiot2:

:lol: Easily pleased like.

Not a bad player but I'm not quite sure what he's done do deserve such an improved contract like that. £90,000+ a week puts him right up there with the best players in Europe.  ???

We've been hearing about this supposed new contract since the beginning of the season. When it happens I'll take it seriously.

Guest Knightrider

Not good enough really, although I like and rate him. Would make a good squad player but regular first team? Nah. I'd peddle all our other strikers ahead of him mind so if we are to keep one, he'd be that player as at least he has pace and can score a goal or two of his own making, but that's about it.

I don't like Martins and don't want to see us pinning our hopes on him for seasons to come.

However if KK puts him in now I reckon Martins could have a big influence on whether we stay up - you always fancy that if he's given a run of 10 games he might pop up with 3-4 goals out of nothing. That is exactly what we need now - just goals from somewhere, anywhere.

In the long term, he is the type of footballer who will not help us to develop into a consistent, settled side with a consitent, settled style of play. He's just too hit and miss - everybody knows how woeful his approach play is. Would hate to see us giving him a massive new contract.

I agree with this, and if we re-sign him now on a huge contract, it won't say much for Keegan's judgement. Martins is quick and strong, but doesn't have enough skill on the ball to be a top striker.