Lamine Diatta signs until end of season

Guest johnson293

Guest Hoop Blah

This lad might just be what we need, freeing up Faye to play DM.

Ideally, yes. However, Taylor's recent performances probably means it will be both Faye and this fella at Centre back.

Hopefully, we noticed him because he stood out at the African Nations Cup.

Seems like an alright move to me.

Not sure if he could've really stood out considering he only played in Senegal's final group game (at right back by the looks of the team line up on BBC) and they didn't progress to the knock phase.

Confirmed by Craterface:

Meanwhile, Senegal skipper Lamine Diatta has been training with United this week after being released by Besikitas.

And the word from the Diatta camp is that the 32-year-old defender is going to sign a one-year contract for United.

But I hear that Keegan would prefer to have another look at him next week.

Because Diatta has been released by his Turkish club he is technically a free agent and can join who he wants out of the transfer window.

United are a bit short of bodies, but the signing of a 32-year-old on a free transfer is not exactly going to get the fans going.

Meanwhile, Keegan has insisted he was never going to work an instant miracle for Newcastle United.

He said today: “We need to get to 40 points because I think 40 will be enough, although I may be proved wrong even on that.

“But we are just in the early stages of rebuilding here and this instant quick-fix thing was never going to happen.

“It does not happen at many clubs, to be honest.

“I have seen improvements on the training ground, definitely, but those improvements as yet have not gone on to the pitch where it really matters.”

Link

KEVIN Keegan will wait until next week before making a decision about signing Senegal captain Lamine Diatta.

The 32-year-old has been training with the Magpies this week having been released by Turkish club Besiktas.

And, speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of Saturday's clash with Blackburn, Keegan said: "We just had an opportunity for four days to look at him.

"He's the captain of Senegal, and is just back from the African Nations Cup.

"Two of our players (Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye) know him. We will have a look and make our mind up by Tuesday. That is what I have told him."

Interesting. When was he last playing regularly though? No point if it's going to take a month to get him match-fit.

ANC?

Last time Martins & Geremi played.

Yup. Left Besiktas just before the African Nations Cup and then played in the competition.

Well I'm very happy to hear we have had him in on trial. If he is signed I will feel a lot more comfortable with it, knowing we had a proper look at him first.

People would like to see Emre in the starting 11 but I bet he has played less games than Diatta has, we need more cover and seeing as there is no transfer window open this is the only type of option we have, if it does free up Faye for a CM role then thats even more of a reason to take him.

Ronnie mk2 tbh!

If he get's the contract then fine, I just hope him and Faye can steady the ship at the back.

Be quite interested to see 3 quarters of an international backline there!

If enrique isn't playing LB then maybe switch Cacapa there where his lack of height won't be that much of a factor.

Maybe go for this

Harper

Beye  Faye Diatta  Cacapa\Enrique

Geremi

Milner                   Zoggy

Duff

Martins            Owen