Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

I don't think our scouting is limited to France. Since Tiote we've been linked with several players from Holland too. Signed Santon from Italy.

I think it's probably be became much easier for us to sign frenchies because of the large contingent already here. And i've said before it wouldn't bother me if we had 23 frenchmen, as long as they could play.

I agree, before going down the tedious French Bottlers route, I'd rather we looked at appointing a manager suited to making the best use of our players and recruiting policy. It's tight-fisted but that doesn't mean we are buying bad players, very few have dipped in value since coming here so that shows other teams rate them highly.

Since Ashley has come in we have always been nearer to a continental model of recruitment. Really haven't been able to figure out why we haven't gone down the Continental manager route. I can only assume the people advising him on football are terrible.

The only logical answer is that he doesn't want to spend money on a real manager, but at the same time doesn't want to lose out on potential jackpot signings like Cabaye either. Short sighted corner shop mentality when laid bare.

I wonder why Wenger doesn't have a problem with French players in the English league? If anybody should know their strengths and weaknesses by now you would have thought it was him.

Wenger usually has 2 or 3 at most in his team.

That's because Arsenal's scouting is not restricted to one country. His most successful period as manager was when the side was filled with them.

Assume you're going off 2001-4 so does Vieira, Wiltord, Pires & Henry = filled does it?

Well you can add Petite to that so that's almost half the outfield players.

I said last week we need a french manager, half joking. Pardew lost the dressing room at some point last season and it was clear on monday night he hasn't got it back. The players look lost. But even if he could get them playing his english approach to the game is lost on them anyway.

I wonder why Wenger doesn't have a problem with French players in the English league? If anybody should know their strengths and weaknesses by now you would have thought it was him.

That's because Arsenal's scouting is not restricted to one country. His most successful period as manager was when the side was filled with them.

Assume you're going off 2001-4 so does Vieira, Wiltord, Pires & Henry = filled does it?

Fair enough, he joined Barca in 2000 though so it would be a strange addition.

I didn't put the dates of 2001-4 in there mind, that was you. I was just talking about Arsenals most successful period.

As i've pointed out before the English core was a hugely important part for Arsenal with both Henry & Pires stating it was the likes of Keown the introduced, helped and protected them through English football.

To write that off is ignorant, and its what we've done imo.

I didn't put the dates of 2001-4 in there mind, that was you. I was just talking about Arsenals most successful period.

Well I picked Arsenal's most successful period given that's what you talked about. If you expand it there is

1997-99 you had Petit, Vieira and Anelka

2001 - 04 you had Vieira, Wiltord, Pires & Henry

(plus Grimandi throughout lurking with intent off the bench)

You can't claim both just to suit your argument because there was no cross over where they had a team 'filled with' players from one country and as

As i've pointed out before the English core was a hugely important part for Arsenal with both Henry & Pires stating it was the likes of Keown the introduced, helped and protected them through English football.

rightly states they had just as many Englishmen who were regulars during the same timeframe.

It also helps the ones they bought are lightyears ahead of their equivalents that we've been picked up.

I don't think anyone has ever written off the value of having a good English core, if you can afford to bring in the quality required, but to start inferring that the problem is buying too many French players rather than looking at the obvious shit management is not fair IMO.

I don't think anyone has ever written off the value of having a good English core, if you can afford to bring in the quality required, but to start inferring that the problem is buying too many French players rather than looking at the obvious shit management is not fair IMO.

Tbh no one is dismissing the shit manager, but there's a thread for him and we all know he's holding us back but I think it's only sensible to look at other factors as well and our transfer policy isn't watertight.

Put him aside, that's all anyone is doing here, you don't have to bring him in to it, it's a pointless exercise as you are just preaching to the converted.

Well I picked Arsenal's most successful period given that's what you talked about. If you expand it there is

You can't claim both just to suit your argument because there was no cross over where they had a team 'filled with' players from one country and as

rightly states they had just as many Englishmen who were regulars during the same timeframe.

It also helps the ones they bought are lightyears ahead of their equivalents that we've been picked up.

Well I don't think Wenger would have a problem buying 6 Frenchmen if he thought they were of good enough quality, in fact he's bought a few duds as well. He doesn't seem to see nationality of a player as much of an issue as the quality, which is the right way to go IMO.

Well I don't think Wenger would have a problem buying 6 Frenchmen if he thought they were of good enough quality, in fact he's bought a few duds as well. He doesn't seem to see nationality of a player as much of an issue as the quality, which is the right way to go IMO.

You are focusing far too much on nationality, like disco said its about having hardened premier league players as part of a support network for when we do bring in 6 foreign players regardless of what actual nation they come from.

Tbh no one is dismissing the shit manager, but there's a thread for him and we all know he's holding us back but I think it's only sensible to look at other factors as well and our transfer policy isn't watertight.

Put him aside, that's all anyone is doing here, you don't have to bring him in to it, it's a pointless exercise as you are just preaching to the converted.

But if you put aside the manager you are taking out one of the major problems of buying French in the first place. Would Cabaye look good in an Allardyce team? No, but he might look a lot better in an Arsenal, Man U or Spurs one, all teams supposedly with an interest in him.

You are focusing far too much on nationality, like disco said its about having hardened premier league players as part of a support network for when we do bring in 6 foreign players regardless of what actual nation they come from.

You've got it the wrong way round mate, it's not me that's got a problem with nationality of players.

But if you put aside the manager you are taking out one of the major problems of buying French in the first place. Would Cabaye look good in an Allardyce team? No, but he might look a lot better in an Arsenal, Man U or Spurs one, all teams supposedly with an interest in him.

You can't simply just blame the manager for the shit state we are in, the players have to take some responsibility as well, however there is no real force there to make sure that happens. Nolan or barton would be telling them exactly how it is, we really miss that IMO and Pardew doesn't have that ally in the dressing room. That may though be another conversation all together.

You can't simply just blame the manager for the shit state we are in, the players have to take some responsibility as well, however there is no real force there to make sure that happens. Nolan or barton would be telling them exactly how it is, we really miss that IMO

:thup:

Don't like Nolan or Barton too much as players but they provided something we simply don't have within this group and it shows when we go behind.

You can't simply just blame the manager for the shit state we are in, the players have to take some responsibility as well, however there is no real force there to make sure that happens. Nolan or barton would be telling them exactly how it is, we really miss that IMO

Don't like Nolan or Barton too much as players but they provided something we simply don't have within this group and it shows when we go behind.

Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs etc don't need Nolan and Barton and neither do we. If we want British players to provide some grit then I'd far rather we targeted the likes of McCarthy or Sinclair.

Man United, Liverpool and Spurs all have leaders / players that gee each other up on the pitch. Be they be foreign or English.

Then we should be looking to bring in the sort of leaders they have. Be they foreign or English.

You can't simply just blame the manager for the s*** state we are in, the players have to take some responsibility as well, however there is no real force there to make sure that happens. Nolan or barton would be telling them exactly how it is, we really miss that IMO

Devils advocate, but they did bugger all of the sort when we got relegated. It's a complex situation influenced by a number of variables.

Man United, Liverpool and Spurs all have leaders / players that gee each other up on the pitch. Be they be foreign or English.

Then we should be looking to bring in the sort of leaders they have. Be they foreign or English.

I concur but we're rarely if ever linked with any let alone buy any. Problem being that those sorts of characters rarely have contract clauses and wrangles.

Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs etc don't need Nolan and Barton and neither do we. If we want British players to provide some grit then I'd far rather we targeted the likes of McCarthy or Sinclair.

What does this even mean? Every team needs natural leaders in the side. I can't think of one in ours.

Grit. :lol:

What does this even mean? Every team needs natural leaders in the side. I can't think of one in ours.

Not one? Cabaye, Yanga Mbiwa, Sissoko, all previous and successful club captains.

Hell, even Taylor for all his idiocy was a long standing leader of the U21s.

Not one? Cabaye, Yanga Mbiwa, Sissoko, all previous and successful club captains.

:papiss:

The other two have shown little in the way of it either. Albeit language problems may come in too play.

I concur but we're rarely if ever linked with any let alone buy any. Problem being that those sorts of characters rarely have contract clauses and wrangles.

Good point. This is where the lack of real committment for the club becomes apparent from Ashley. He'd rather save a few quid than risk spending the money it would require to sign those sort of players (or manager for that matter).