Newcastle 0 - 1 Blackburn Rovers - 01/03/08 - Post match reaction from page 20

James

owen done everything right on two chances,two very good saves and blew the one where he got past the keeper.

Have a word with yourself Madras; he missed them both so he didn't do everything right. Like he also missed against Wigan in the same position (& Everton? too when he came on as half time sub with his first touch). Take a look at the goals he has scored of late, fox in the box or headers, decent chances on the deck & he has missed. The real sad thing is that Martins is no better at putting that type of chance in.

Tell you what, last day of the season, 1 on 1 with Howard to keep us up, I'd pick Martins and, yes, even Shola ahead of Owen to bury the chance.

With the ball at his feet, Owen couldn't hit a barn door. A few of us have been saying this since that Wigan game when it was bloody obvious that his legs had gone but we were shot down by the people still living in 1998.

One more goal and he's on par with Martins for the season. This after coming back from a long lay-off.

Clearly Martins is immense and Owen is a has been.

Let's just ignore the 2 goals he's put away in the last 4 games while we were getting raped.

I'd rather he'd buried two of the chances today.

And Martins has been in and out of the team and stuck on the wing to accomodate Owen, so your comparison of the two is hardly a fair one.

Guest LucaAltieri

owen done everything right on two chances,two very good saves and blew the one where he got past the keeper.

Have a word with yourself Madras; he missed them both so he didn't do everything right. Like he also missed against Wigan in the same position (& Everton? too when he came on as half time sub with his first touch). Take a look at the goals he has scored of late, fox in the box or headers, decent chances on the deck & he has missed. The real sad thing is that Martins is no better at putting that type of chance in.

Tell you what, last day of the season, 1 on 1 with Howard to keep us up, I'd pick Martins and, yes, even Shola ahead of Owen to bury the chance.

With the ball at his feet, Owen couldn't hit a barn door. A few of us have been saying this since that Wigan game when it was bloody obvious that his legs had gone but we were shot down by the people still living in 1998.

One more goal and he's on par with Martins for the season. This after coming back from a long lay-off.

Let's just ignore the 2 goals he's put away in the last 4 games while we were getting raped.

And Martins has been in and out of the team and stuck on the wing to accomodate Owen, so your comparison of the two is hardly a fair one.

Possibly... but if we want to talk about form over the season then neither are impressive. If you want to talk about recent form then Owen is actually better. Martins couldn't fight his way into the Nigeria side.

It's all unimportant anyway... ideally they should both be starting. One of them has to find some good form eventually.

Possibly... but if we want to talk about form over the season then neither are impressive. If you want to talk about recent form then Owen is actually better. Martins couldn't fight his way into the Nigeria side.

It's all unimportant anyway... ideally they should both be starting.

Agree completely.

Martins hasn't been the same player since he was dumped for the returning Owen for the first time this season though

We weren't getting raped against Boro or Villa when he scored actually.

The trouble with Owen is he cannot score with the ball at his feet. He can only score when his movement gets him a touch on a cross before the defenders can react. His movement is still pretty good but his finishing is absolute shite. Maybe this would do but he's about 5'6" meaning most of the time, his movement is totally nullified by the size of the defenders who will get to the ball before him. We can't rely on him week in, week out in the Premiership. He's neat and tidy but not much else.

the header was aswell hit as he could have,the side footer was as ronaldos last week in the same position...if harper had saved that you'd have wet your knicks. f***** up for the one in the first half like i said.

The header was looped & didn't have the power to go in, but it was a far better effort than his piss poor shots. The side foot was nothing like ronaldos (he scored for a start) & I would have expected Harper to have read the fucking match program & still saved it. Look at previous games, keepers do, MO with a 1 on 1  coming in from the left of the box = open your body up & shoot weakly to the other corner. Time & time again. The chance in the first half was no where near as good as the one he missed in the second.

Dunno like, his first half chance was excellent. Did well to get round Friedel and would have buried it if he'd shifted onto his right but his left foot is like a feather trying to push a boulder uphill.

Martins mackems.gif

Agreed.

Owen has  started more games than Oba this season and has scored 1 fewer goals. There's no "rust" he's just not very good anymore. Remember last season and earlier on this year when Martins would miss a good chance "Owen would've scored that".. it's always been likely that Martins might not "cut-it" for us but people need to realize Owen is a shell of his former (over-rated) self.

When was the last time Owen scored with his feet in the league for us?

The fact is one of them has to start, preferable with Viduka or Shola, & of the two Martins offers more. Owen is a player who thrives in a team that creates loads of chances & where he can afford to miss. We bought him to take chances & the fact is he has missed an awful lot more than he has taken. He has scored half chances & headers; he has missed chances that quite frankly I would have taken in my Saturday afternoon footballing days & chances that I would have been dropped for if I'd missed. I might sound full of shit but I'd take myself on against Owen with 10 1 on 1's from a 25 yard run in on the keeper.

The fact that I can even say that is frightening.

Martins mackems.gif

Has Owen scored more goals than him or something?

The fact is one of them has to start, preferable with Viduka or Shola, & of the two Martins offers more. Owen is a player who thrives in a team that creates loads of chances & where he can afford to miss. We bought him to take chances & the fact is he has missed an awful lot more than he has taken. He has scored half chances & headers; he has missed chances that quite frankly I would have taken in my Saturday afternoon footballing days & chances that I would have been dropped for if I'd missed. I might sound full of shit but I'd take myself on against Owen with 10 1 on 1's from a 25 yard run in on the keeper.

I can probably think of 10 chances for Owen this season that I would expect to see buried at Hartlepool. Three today, two against Wigan, one piss easy chance against Man City, one against Arsenal, there's definitely more.

He's finished. This "he'll score if we create" myth just doesn't wash anymore, especially not after today.

Guest LucaAltieri

Same thing can be said about Martins to be fair. As I say, neither of them has been overly impressive this season... as for only playing one of the other; I don't know where this comes from. If they were the same type of striker then I could understand it, but they quite clearly aren't. Just because they're both short-ish doesn't they can't work together up front.

Same thing can be said about Martins to be fair. As I say, neither of them has been overly impressive this season... as for only playing one of the other; I don't know where this comes from. If they were the same type of striker then I could understand it, but they quite clearly aren't. Just because they're both short-ish doesn't they can't work together up front.

They both like to play off the last defender & make similar runs. Martins does a bit more with the ball & works harder. They may be better individually than say Shola but as a partnership - no - the fact is that it is team game & you need players that compliment the team. 10 George Best's & Peter Shilton would win jack shit. Would be fun though.

keegan should bite the bullet and start Viduka next match (or the next match that we have a chance in). doesn't matter that he's only had three FULL days training, not that he's only turned up for 3 days of training as some said. considering Keegan has scheduled morning and afternoon sessions, double what we had under Allardyce, he's probably trained more than he did under the previous regime. he's not really someone who needs to be in peak physical condition, his movement is shite anyway, but the skill, finishing (best at the club), vision and hold-up play means he offers more than Smith and is likely to provide more moments of class in one game than Smith would all season.

i know there's been rumours of a bust-up but keegan needs to make sure he doesn't get fooled by hard work in training, what we need is as much quality out on the pitch as we can muster.

keegan should bite the bullet and start Viduka next match (or the next match that we have a chance in). doesn't matter that he's only had three FULL days training, not that he's only turned up for 3 days of training as some said. considering Keegan has scheduled morning and afternoon sessions, double what we had under Allardyce, he's probably trained more than he did under the previous regime. he's not really someone who needs to be in peak physical condition, his movement is shite anyway, but the skill, finishing (best at the club), vision and hold-up play means he offers more than Smith and is likely to provide more moments of class in one game than Smith would all season.

:thup:

Viduka in a coma and on a life support is more likely to finish a move off with the corner of his bed than Smith is with 8 legs.

Guest nufc_geordie

In all fairness if we were talking about say portsmouth instead of newcastle I would say relegation would be a good thing, to clear out the deadwood and those who just don't want to be here, Ashley in charge to bankroll promotion next season and kick on when we came back up. But being a Newcastle fan I could never wish for a relegation.

i know there's been rumours of a bust-up but keegan needs to make sure he doesn't get fooled by hard work in training, what we need is as much quality out on the pitch as we can muster.

Agree.

Guest nufc_geordie

We got f****** mugged today, and anyone who says different either didn't see the game or is either an absolute mentalist.

Thats all fine and well mate if we were safe from relegation but we're not and we still got no points!

We got f****** mugged today, and anyone who says different either didn't see the game or is either an absolute mentalist.

Thats all fine and well mate if we were safe from relegation but we're not and we still got no points!

I'm not saying it was a satisfactory result, obviously. I'm referring to the people who think we were shit again today. We clearly weren't.

We need a major break. An OG, a dodgy penalty/offside decision, a huge deflection. I'd almost go as far as to say if we'd won today (as we deserved to) we'd have been safe.

Agree, cos Smith is utterly fucking useless. Still rather have Oba in there than Fatty Vid tho.

We need a major break. An OG, a dodgy penalty/offside decision, a huge deflection. I'd almost go as far as to say if we'd won today (as we deserved to) we'd have been safe.

My thoughts exactly.

I thought it was going to be today. Last minute winner, a scrappy tap in, whatever. Just a goal that would nick us 3 points. But then Blackburn ran up the pitch and score.

We're desperate and the sooner we win, the better. After that, it's lift-off time and we're safe.

Guest nufc_geordie

I'm not saying it was a satisfactory result, obviously. I'm referring to the people who think we were s*** again today. We clearly weren't.

We certainly weren't shit but the lack of quality finishing cost us, I really don't see where our next point is coming from. The distinct lack of confidence in all areas is apparent and I just can't see what Keegan et al can do.