FAO The Yanks

Thespence

Saw the name Jozy Altidore  in the NOTW online, I have read his wiki & watching bits & bobs on Youtube. But have any of you chaps seen him play a full 90mins? What is the low down on him?

Cheers for any info.

The papers and another forum, i.e. not great sources.

Information gathering is all good in my eyes. What other forums are you using?

I am liking what I am seeing on Youtube. I reckon if I was a manger agents would love me :lol: I would be like fellow geordie Brian Little & sign players off videos :-[ :snod:

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

he's more polished than freddy, and physically they are very different as freddy is still pretty small and jozy is big and probably going to be a real horse.  he can score headers that freddy probably can't even reach.

jozy very much has a cutthroat mentality and has a real nose for goal.  his dribbling may not be as good as freddy's, but his instincts and finishing ability are great.  he's going to be a terrific player. 

as for prem comparisons, i'd say jozy could be compared to an anelka-type player right now, and could turn into a player like drogba.  jack of all trades who can put the ball in the back of the net.

he's more polished than freddy, and physically they are very different as freddy is still pretty small and jozy is big and probably going to be a real horse.  he can score headers that freddy probably can't even reach.

jozy very much has a cutthroat mentality and has a real nose for goal.  his dribbling may not be as good as freddy's, but his instincts and finishing ability are great.  he's going to be a terrific player. 

as for prem comparisons, i'd say jozy could be compared to an anelka-type player right now, and could turn into a player like drogba.  jack of all trades who can put the ball in the back of the net.

Cheers for that.

I get ESPN magazine every now & again over the years it has built up the likes of Convey, Onyewu, Donovan,  Adu, Dempsey & Eddie Johnson but none of them have made it really big or as of yet. So I am a bit sceptical when you hear or read things about USA  footballers.

Will any of them ever be as good as Roy Wegerle John Harkes O0

Guest JamesD

I've seen pretty much every professional game he's played in and I think he'd be a great player to bring to the club and try and develop.  He's very strong, very good technical ability in terms of ball control and finishing, but more importantly he's got a bit of creativity that allows him to make chances for himself outside of ones that come from a cross or pass.  He's played with Youri Djorkaeff and Juan Pablo Angle, so he's probably gotten some good advice from them, and he seems incredibly level headed/professional, especially when compared to Freddy Adu who used to run his mouth all the time.  I think he's got the potential to be the best American player ever, and I'd really like to see him come to Newcastle.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Cheers for that.

I get ESPN magazine every now & again over the years it has built up the likes of Convey, Onyewu, Donovan,  Adu, Dempsey & Eddie Johnson but none of them have made it really big or as of yet. So I am a bit sceptical when you hear or read things about USA  footballers.

Will any of them ever be as good as Roy Wegerle John Harkes O0

Two of the best on the ball we've ever been lucky enough to have.  The best Americano in that mold that we have now is Michael Bradley, the son of our national team coach and a full time starter at Heerenveen.  I'd say that he might make a nice choice for the Toon, but I worry that the pressure put on him might be crushing.

Guest JamesD

While we're suggesting US players, Ricardo Clark really should be over in Europe, and England in particular would be a good fit for him.  He's a DM by trade, but he's got very good skill and passing ability, and even a nice shot.  Better than any of our current crop I'd say.

As for Bradley and pressure, he came into the NY team after a year out with a knee injury as a 17 year old son of a coach, and he ended up playing every game in CM and preformed quite well. I haven't really seen enough of him over in Holland to see how he's doing now, but if he has the ability, I don't think pressure would be a problem for him.

I worry about the yanks.

They grow up watching the MLS so what chance do they have?! Hardly inspiring stuff.

:lol:

I'm sorry but you really do live on a different planet to everyone else. Much like me I suppose.

Foreign Leagues such as the Premier League are more popular on US television than MLS.

I worry about the yanks.

They grow up watching the MLS so what chance do they have?! Hardly inspiring stuff.

:lol:

I'm sorry but you really do live on a different planet to everyone else. Much like me I suppose.

Foreign Leagues such as the Premier League are more popular on US television than MLS.

Not unless you get a certain cable provider which has fox sports network from what I remember (I went to university in Philadelphia).

Dempsey is pretty good. Kind of like  Rooney type striker. Never gives up and always goes for the ball. If Fulham go down and we stay up, we should go for him.

Only saw Altidore in a match against Mexico and he scored, so I say he's pretty good. Was his debut too.

Altidore will be the American to make it big.  He will be the first true super star from America playing abroad and I can only hope we get a chance at having him in our squad - Keegan would love him.  Speed, presence, skill, and finishes really well.

Erm, sorry to hijack the thread, but do any of you lot know somewhere in DC to watch games? Ta.

No. Sorry.

:angry:

Washington DC: Ireland's Four Courts, 2051 Wilson Blvd, Arlington Va (DC/Maryland/North Virginia Mags meet).

Erm, sorry to hijack the thread, but do any of you lot know somewhere in DC to watch games? Ta.

No. Sorry.

:angry:

Washington DC: Ireland's Four Courts, 2051 Wilson Blvd, Arlington Va (DC/Maryland/North Virginia Mags meet).

Nice one, cheers. O0