Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Martins would have definitely been man of the match if he was played upfront more.

The guy gets his shots off swiftly, with power and on target everytime.

He is our most dangerous goal threat. He was pissed off at how things went in the first half that he rebelled and refused to stay out wide and he promptly took over the game and allowed us the chance to score.

However, I can't help this was the reason Keegan took him off, as he wasn't happy with him neglecting his responsibilities on the wing.

Well, besides that I agree with the rest of the post.

It was obvious from Martins' play (and reaction to the substitution) that he was regaining a bit of confidence. I've never seen a player as reliant on it.

Absolutely clueless management!!!!!

Martins should seriously start considering his options next season.

The guy is struggling to get a game when he's clearly the best option up front. When he begins to get some confidence the managers usually do their best to destroy it.

Get lost. It got us an important point. The last time we had a team pegged back for a significant period of time, we crumbled and conceded on the break. Lost the game in the flash. No need risking it again.

Maybe he should have taken Viduka off rather than Oba, but Viduka could hold it up. It was a frustrating sub but in our circumstances it wasn't worth risking getting caught out on the break (again).

It probably cost us 2 points...WTF are we doing playing for a draw against Birmingham?

Football is a pretty simple game. Martins should have been the last person subtituted in my opinion.

:lol: Don't be so stupid ffs, he came off with what 13 mins to go or something? It didn't cost us 2 points and we weren't playing for a draw against them, we were merely making sure we didn't lose the game with 10 mins to go. Which is pretty fucking clever considering where we are in the league?

Why do people say they could understand Martins coming off?

The move that I would have understood would have been Owen coming off!

Viduka could then still attempt to hold up the ball but we would still be able to utilize Martins pace over the top.

I'm not happy at all about these provisions being made for Owen as it is dangerous and will cost us games.

Don't be so stupid ffs, he came off with what 13 mins to go or something? It didn't cost us 2 points and we weren't playing for a draw against them, we were merely making sure we didn't lose the game with 10 mins to go. Which is pretty fucking clever considering where we are in the league?

Have you been watching NUFC this season, at all?

i thought taylor was as bad as faye first half, he looked fucking clueless.

i al thought butt was poor first half, lauching balls into no mans land.

geremi was the highlight for me, very, very good game.

also thought butt did very well in the second half, as did oba.

much improved overall.

i have to say i didnt thin barton did too bad, i dont thin he was great by any stretch, but i thought he was ok

Poor Faye, surely he is allowed one glaring error this season, considering his teammates do it every single game.

Taylor's powder puff header in the first half was particularly entertaining  and but for shher fortune would have put us down 1 - 0.

Don't be so stupid ffs, he came off with what 13 mins to go or something? It didn't cost us 2 points and we weren't playing for a draw against them, we were merely making sure we didn't lose the game with 10 mins to go. Which is pretty fucking clever considering where we are in the league?

Eh?

I'm assuming that every one who thought Barton's performance was anything other than a disgrace were watching the game on their microwave.

He battled them out of the game 2nd half, you are bound to lose the ball at times but what you have to do is winit back and Barton did this every time. 

Guest Geordiesned

Clearly Faye's fault for the goal but I didn't think he did too much else wrong. The back four played well apart from that imo.

I think the half time analysis by Sir Les showed how awful Faye was in the 1st half. He was woeful.

The decision to take Martins off ahead of either one of Geremi, Barton or Viduka was truely bizarre for me. He was our most attacking threat and we actauilly invited them onto us by taking him off such was the (untimely) inability of Viduka to hold the ball up up front.

Guest LucasUnger

i would never ever again play smith and barton. horrible performance today.

bring in some young ones. to replace them even on the bench.

those 2 are a must sell in the summer.

Barton is so poor at the moment. He needs a major time out. Maybe his off field troubles are getting to him. Whether you thought he was quality or not in the past he is a shadow of that at the moment. The boy can hardly pass, has no pace and seems as week as a 15 year old player.

It must be difficult for Keegan as there is not exactly a whole host of players knocking the door down to get in  the team.

IMO the 2nd half performance of the team was a big improvement, I was glad that Owen went looking for the ball. Viduka looked tired later on and I think we would have been better served with keeping Martins on instead.

For me Geremi was very frustarting, he did alot of things really well then you just look at those corners.

The 2nd half gave me encouragement that we can go and beat Fulham on Saturday, we must start well so the crowd are on our side. If we can improve on that 2nd half for the rest of the season we should be okay. However, we look so fragile at the back, both Taylor and Faye had my nerves on edge all night.

I'm assuming that every one who thought Barton's performance was anything other than a disgrace were watching the game on their microwave.

He battled them out of the game 2nd half, you are bound to lose the ball at times but what you have to do is winit back and Barton did this every time. 

Use the defrost setting next time. It may yield better results.

Eh?

If we were a tad less lucky, it would have, and it has happened before (us losing momentum then conceding one shortly after). Except it'd be more like 4 points since we'd give up one and gave them 3 more.

Keegan made the wrong decision when taking Martins off but at least he did or said enough at half time to turn the game around, I don't think that should be under estimated, a good second half has been a rarity this season.

I thought Faye was awful, he was pulled out of position time and time again and was soft as shite for the goal, he just didn't have a clue what was going on around him at times, you could tell he knew he had a shitter too by how nervous he looked with the ball at his feet, Taylor was poor too and made too errors in the first 10 minutes that could have been costly but he didn't look as bad as faye, maybe because Forrsell (sp?) wasn't really involved that much and he was Taylor's man.

As for Baye, put the fucking ball in the box man first time instead of pushing the responsibility onto Geremi.

Guest JamesD

I'm very happy with the reaction, as its been a habit of ours to concede a goal and then just fall apart. Something to build on.

You were watching a different Barton to me, the one I was watching was clueless.  He rarely found a team mate when playing the ball and we ended up under pressure because of it.

Eh?

If we were a tad less lucky, it would have, and it has happened before (us losing momentum then conceding one shortly after). Except it'd be more like 4 points since we'd give up one and gave them 3 more.

I disagree. He took N'Zogbia on for a number of reasons which are pretty obvious. We didn't look any more likely to concede when he came on either. It's not like in the last 10 mins we were extremely lucky. A Point is precious right now against a team battling like us who have had some excellent results recently.