Owen in a deeper role - could it be the way forward?

Dave

Touched on this in the match thread but thought it merited its own discussion.

Showing on MOTD tonight that Owen was the striker in a more withdrawn role; picking up the ball and passing it about with Martins and Viduka pushed up. He even got involved in some midfield and defensive duties.

Given that he's a much better passer of the ball than Martins, his pace is clearly now gone (though he can still ghost into the area), assuming Viduka is always right up top (or leaving in the summer), is it something to think about for the future as well as right now?

He's not a playmaker, but he's very neat and tidy, and normally ensures we keep possession. And as we've seen, he still scores goals.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Owen very rarely gave the ball away today. His first touch is good and he gives it simple. I definately think this is the way forward. I think attack is the best way to defend, however, if we do not give Enrique a hand next week Lennon will rip us to shreds.

He is a good passer of the ball, not in the emre killer ball style, but definately the keeping possession type, but with a massive goal threat as well.

The way forward until the end of the season

Yeah think so. It makes good sense since he's older now, bit less pace on him so I think it's a very good move by Keegan and one that could really get the best out of Owen and evolve him into the type of player that will suit him better as he gets older.

There has been debate in the spark thread about the importance of tactics in football. Owen's role today was a tactic, but opposition managers will now see that, and any that are half good will be getting players to keep tight on Owen when he is approaching from deep.

Long term, I don't think so. It worked well today, but I don't think it would work against better sides than Fulham. Owen's ability to be where the ball is was just as apparent in midfield, but his passing was erratic - some good, some poor.

I like 4-3-3 as a formation. It adds a bit of flexibility, and you sensed a bit of liberation among the players today. Keegan needs to bring in some players who can make it work that bit better, if we're going to move forward from this.

Guest JamesD

It will work for the time being, but over the summer we need to really build the team with quality, and let Owen stay up front and do what he does best.

I'd never have believed it as i saw Owen as a very one dimensional player,ie bad first touch but with pace to compensate that and a lethal finisher,once his pace went i assumed Owen would be finished but on the evidence of the last 2 games,i'd be wrong. :clap: to Kev for having the forethought and bottle to re-model Owens style to suit our needs.

no

Care to explain your reservations?

he hasn't got the ability to do it against better teams. true he has shown himself to be a better footballer than some thought but i dont think the 4-3-3 as of now would work against the higher ups (also viduka hasn't the ability to make it happen and martins hasnt the nouse)

Long term, I don't think so. It worked well today, but I don't think it would work against better sides than Fulham. Owen's ability to be where the ball is was just as apparent in midfield, but his passing was erratic - some good, some poor.

I like 4-3-3 as a formation. It adds a bit of flexibility, and you sensed a bit of liberation among the players today. Keegan needs to bring in some players who can make it work that bit better, if we're going to move forward from this.

Sorry but that's just rubbish. It wasn't erratic at all. More often than not, his passes were 'unlocking doors' more than the likes of Barton/Emre/Milner/Duff, and whoever the hell else our 'door unlockers' are, ever do for us.

no

he hasn't got the ability to do it against better teams. true he has shown himself to be a better footballer than some thought but i dont think the 4-3-3 as of now would work against the higher ups (also viduka hasn't the ability to make it happen and martins hasnt the nouse)

Fairy nuff. Remains to be seen I suppose.

no

Fairy nuff. Remains to be seen I suppose.

i hope we dont do it with our present set up but at the same time i hope people see owen as a better footballer then previously

The other thing that crossed my mind is whether he's relishing the extra responsibility of being a little more involved. Obviously he's also been made captain, and seemed to be instigator-in-chief of the huddle before the game today.

Sorry but that's just rubbish. It wasn't erratic at all. More often than not, his passes were 'unlocking doors' more than the likes of Barton/Emre/Milner/Duff, and whoever the hell else our 'door unlockers' are, ever do for us.

Nope. He gave the ball away a few times. And I can't remember any killer passes that put anyone through. But he was very aware of everything that was going on around him, and he kept the attack moving well most of the time.

I like it. He got in some good positions today when you could tell he was dying to play a through ball but realistically knew that Viduka wouldn't have got on the end of it.

Nope. He gave the ball away a few times. And I can't remember any killer passes that put anyone through. But he was very aware of everything that was going on around him, and he kept the attack moving well most of the time.

When i said he unlocked doors i didn't exactly mean killer passes. He didn't put anyone directly through on goal.

What he did do, and very well, was pick up the ball from deep on several occassions and planted it, most frequently, to the likes of Geremi's or Martins' feet, who would then have a definite chance to get the ball in the box and form a goalscoring chance. He was a playmaker today and did it really well. There was also a couple of occassions where he knocked it out to the left-wing, and it was begging to be swerved back into the box. He was instinctive and clever today, was dead impressed.

Bare in mind it was only Fulham. Against Better more organized teams i think he would disappear.

Depends on whether Keegan dares to continue with the three strikers against the better teams. I'd be inclined to give it a go tbh. We've tried to defend games this season under both managers and failed miserably every time.

Give them something extra to think about.

Bare in mind it was only Fulham. Against Better more organized teams i think he would disappear.

It hinges on the midfield really, not the forwards imo. If each midfielder plays like that again, we'd be fine with it on a consistent basis.

The other thing that crossed my mind is whether he's relishing the extra responsibility of being a little more involved. Obviously he's also been made captain, and seemed to be instigator-in-chief of the huddle before the game today.

Well done with his goal and general performance, but I think that sort thing is utterly pointless and pathetic.  Not much more than a "show".