What's Ashley doing - lost 129Mill on the markets last week?

Tsunami

The HBOS  shares should recover quite well. They only went down because some traders spread  false rumours about their demise to make a packet out of the ensuing panic.

he didn't have shares,it was spread betting

Oh right, couldn't be arsed reading it since it's 99% likely to be  tabloid scaremongering.

Guest sicko2ndbest

HBOS bosses in share support move 

HBOS owns Halifax and Bank of Scotland

Senior management and staff at HBOS have bought more than £6m worth of the bank's shares after a steep fall in the firm's share price last week.

The bank said the move was a "demonstration of confidence" after it was hit by "malicious rumours".

HBOS boss Andy Hornby spent £414,000 of his annual bonus to buy 92,812 shares.

He was joined by bank's executive directors and 250 senior managers, who together purchased 1.4 million shares at 446.25p.

Last Wednesday, HBOS shares at one point fell as much as 17% amid rumours it was facing similar problems to Northern Rock.

HBOS said the rumours were ill-founded and malicious.

The UK's financial watchdog, the FSA, is investigating whether the rumours had been deliberately spread to undermine the value of bank shares.

Shares in HBOS ended the week at 473.50p

Completely blow their story out of the water. Bunch of  :angry:

Senior management and staff at HBOS have bought more than £6m worth of the bank's shares after a steep fall in the firm's share price last week.

The bank said the move was a "demonstration of confidence" after it was hit by "malicious rumours".

He was joined by bank's executive directors and 250 senior managers, who together purchased 1.4 million shares at 446.25p.

Last Wednesday, HBOS shares at one point fell as much as 17% amid rumours it was facing similar problems to Northern Rock.

The UK's financial watchdog, the FSA, is investigating whether the rumours had been deliberately spread to undermine the value of bank shares.

Completely blow their story out of the water. Bunch of :angry:

no it hasn't

Completely blow their story out of the water. Bunch of  :angry:

It doesn't. Ashley placed a bet on the financial markets, he didn't invest in stocks, so this really has no relevance.

Guest toonlass

Firstly its the NOTW which I wouldn't use to wipe my backside with if I ran out of Andrex.

Secondly the lad has put more money than that into Newcastle, without any comeback so far(technically could be considered a loss if you take it literally) and yet he supposedly loses £120 million and it affects us? C'mon Ashley is worth BILLIONS, so its nothing to him, he will have made that much back and more by next weekend.

Rumour stirring shit from the NOTW again!

Firstly its the NOTW which I wouldn't use to wipe my backside with if I ran out of Andrex.

Secondly the lad has put more money than that into Newcastle, without any comeback so far(technically could be considered a loss if you take it literally) and yet he supposedly loses £120 million and it affects us? C'mon Ashley is worth BILLIONS, so its nothing to him, he will have made that much back and more by next weekend.

He's worth 1.9bn so a loss of £120m is still about 5% of his overall wealth gone. It probobly won't affect us greatly but it's still a significant loss for him.

Guest toonlass

He's worth 1.9bn so a loss of £120m is still about 5% of his overall wealth gone. It probobly won't affect us greatly but it's still a significant loss for him.

IF its true(c'mon don't say you believe what you read in the NOTW, you'll be telling me you believe what is printed in the Sun next), then I could harbour a guess that Ashley will make more than that back by next weekend, but you won't see that in next week's edition. These southern based papers(and the local evening rag up here) just print shite about Newcastle United because we are an easy target and it sells their crap. Surely you have worked that out by now!

With two billion in the bank at a high interest rate of around 7-8%, ashley will still have between 11-31 million to fritter away as he likes without making an actual loss from his fortune...

Ooooh to be a rich man!

With two billion in the bank at a high interest rate of around 7-8%, ashley will still have between 11-31 million to fritter away as he likes without making an actual loss from his fortune...

Ooooh to be a rich man!

doubt it's 2bill in the bank. i'd assume a lot is invested,bonds and the like aswell as in the markets.

Guest toonlass

But why do you believe the story at all? I didn't see any newspaper stories about Mike Ashley losing money on bets before last May, did you? Its all just crap about Newcastle United to sell the rags.

Did I read somewhere that the Man City chairman is a horrific human rights abuser?

Oh no I didn't, obviously not important enough to make the rags. Mike Ashley's lost some money though. CRISIS IN TOON!!!

f*** off.

exactly, ashley can do what he wants, thats how business is.

they made it out as if he had lost it at the dogs...but then again, even if he had, so fuck, its his money.

they just couldn't stand giving us a back page of positivity, so thy had to put the 'loser' headline.

cunts

Ooooh to be a rich man!

Well he doesn't have £2b in the bank though. A lot of his wealth is estimated from the shares he owns in companies like Sports Direct etc.

That said, £129m is unlikely to make him loose much sleep. You don't become a billionaire without A) taking some risks and B) generally being right a hell of a lot more than you're wrong. Him blowing £129m is like one of us blowing £129, we'd be pissed off but it wouldn't leave us homeless or make us sell our car.

Guest fraser

Fucking hell. They let him run a tab in the Black Bull on Saturday as well; hope he's paid it or there could be real trouble ahead!

Headline: Bull Bars Ashley after he asks for a tab.

Just looking at how HBOS shares have dropped recently (assumming that is where the investments took place, and Ashley purchased at the peak and either kept the shares, or sold them at the trough), Ashley would have needed to have invested about £473m cash to lose £129m, which is about 1/4 or his estimated worth, and  highly doubt he'd have that much cash, and if he did, he wouldn't put them all into shares of one company.

I reckon he put £129m on shares, and then when the shares dropped, he lost £34m, and the media have written it all in an exaggerated way.

Just looking at how HBOS shares have dropped recently (assumming that is where the investments took place, and Ashley purchased at the peak and either kept the shares, or sold them at the trough), Ashley would have needed to have invested about £473m cash to lose £129m, which is about 1/4 or his estimated worth, and  highly doubt he'd have that much cash, and if he did, he wouldn't put them all into shares of one company.

I reckon he put £129m on shares, and then when the shares dropped, he lost £34m, and the media have written it all in an exaggerated way.

have you read the thread ?

At now point other than from you has it been said on this thread that it was spread betting.

Regardless, you normally have to spend a lot more to lose a lot in financial markets, and the chances are that NOTW changed putting £129m on falling assets into losing £129 in total if you get what I mean.

At now point other than from you has it been said on this thread that it was spread betting.

Regardless, you normally have to spend a lot more to lose a lot in financial markets, and the chances are that NOTW changed putting £129m on falling assets into losing £129 in total if you get what I mean.

stozo on this very page aswell points it out aswell.

have a read of the article.

Guest fraser

On the other hand why is anyone getting particularly excited about the story?

The NOTW informant must be pretty close to Ashley to know to the nearest million (ie not £128m, not even around £130m, but £129m!!!) in which case why would he divulge. Or it's the bookie betraying a confidence that may prevent Ashley using them again.

And if the story was that good why wouldn't Beasley have asked him about it having spent Saturday with Ashley?

If he has lost the stake (or does it include existing returns) the figure mentioned is speculation.

Guest toonlass

The NOTW informant must be pretty close to Ashley to know to the nearest million (ie not £128m, not even around £130m, but £129m!!!) in which case why would he divulge. Or it's the bookie betraying a confidence that may prevent Ashley using them again.

And if the story was that good why wouldn't Beasley have asked him about it having spent Saturday with Ashley?

If he has lost the stake (or does it include existing returns) the figure mentioned is speculation.

:clap:

Giving a lot of people the clap today, hussy!

:razz:

stozo on this very page aswell points it out aswell.

have a read of the article.

Regardless of how it was spent/lost, the fact remains that in all likelihood, NOTW being NOTW and not FT exaggerated the £129m loss in that it could have actually been £129m invested in falling assets with a smaller figure actually lost.

Guest toonlass

Giving a lot of people the clap today, hussy!

:razz:

;D

I am being remarkably agreeable today tbh. I think it has something to do with being hungover.