Is N'Zogbia's exit inevitable? (Maybe not - Page 24!)

TRon

I have enjoyed watching Charlie, if its his time to leave so be it. If anyone at the club wants to make him change his mind get Oliver Bernard to have a word with him.

Oliver has no club & spends his time between Newcastle & Paris these days, whate a waste. His cretin of a agent is helping him very much now.

If there is no chance of persuading zoggy to stay at Newcastle, Lennon is one of the few players around that I'd consider a suitable replacement

I agree. I'd prefer we kept N'Zog, but it's looking less and less likely. They're both decent players at the moment with bags of potential and a very direct style. This post in particular

Vastly overrated. Not impressed with his form and play the past 2 seasons. Not atrocious but also not that good,....noticed that his play is a lot of like Dyer's which is not so bad actually. lots of running into blind alleys and passing and shooting needs to improve by loads though.

Could easily be about either player. Both rough diamonds at the moment.

Also like Stuart Downing, but zoggy staying and fulfilling his potential would be better

Downing gets a lot of unfair stick IMO. He's the only player in the top ten cross converters in the league that plays for a side in the bottom half of the table.

Doubt we ever sign him mind, for various reasons.

Out of N'Zogbia and Lennon, the former is the better footballer IMO.

I wasn't aware the smoggies give Downing stick. I think he's a very accomplished and controlled footballer, not as quick as the others mentioned but an excellent crosser all the same.

Not by Boro but by alot of other people. Most people i speak to think he is vastly over rated but i, like you, think he's a decent player.

Yeah, I'd prefer us to keep N'Zogbia as well, but we need someone with pace and 'directness' on the wings. I'd probably go for SWP ahead of Lennon, but either would give us what we would lose (albeit on a different wing) if N'Zogbia left. If we were to play 4-4-2 and could pick a combiation of 2 of those 3 on the wings we'd be looking very good indeed....

I agree. For me SWP is just a better version of Lennon.

There's a huge difference between those two unless I have made up SWP's exploits at MCFC, where he carried the team despite his young age. I have never seen anything in Lennon that suggests he is capable of being a goal threath the way SWP is..

Similar stature, similar pace but like i say, SWP is better.

Guest LucaAltieri

Yeah, I'd prefer us to keep N'Zogbia as well, but we need someone with pace and 'directness' on the wings. I'd probably go for SWP ahead of Lennon, but either would give us what we would lose (albeit on a different wing) if N'Zogbia left. If we were to play 4-4-2 and could pick a combiation of 2 of those 3 on the wings we'd be looking very good indeed....

There's a huge difference between those two unless I have made up SWP's exploits at MCFC, where he carried the team despite his young age. I have never seen anything in Lennon that suggests he is capable of being a goal threath the way SWP is..

Similar stature, similar pace but like i say, SWP is better.

I'd say that SWP is a bit further down the line. Lennon doesn't have the same experience. Signing Lennon would be a gamble. He may turn out to be better than SWP, he may be a flop. SWP on the other hand has less developing to do and is closer to being the finished article.

yes I agree with this, the SWP at Man City is the real player in there and you don't lose that

yes I agree with this, the SWP at Man City is the real player in there and you don't lose that

Like Duff at Chelsea and Blackburn? He certainly seems to have 'lost it'.

I rate Aaron Lennon highly, he's possibly the quickest player in the Premiership and has excellent close control when running flat out, he also has a decent football brain and didn't look out of place with the great one touch football Spurs played under Jol, his crossing isn't that good but he's the sort to use his pace to get to the line and cut a ball back across the ground rather that float a high cross in anyway.

I don't think Spurs fans done him any favours when they made him out to be some sort of World class superstar a few years back, the expectations on him were just too OTT because of it, I do think he's the sort of player Keegan could develop into an important player for us and he's still only 20 so there's plenty of time for improvement, not that he wouldn't walk into our team down the right anyway.

SWP is a better player but I don't think he'll improve anymore, he may be able to find his form at Man City but like most of the rejects from the top 4 he may just disappear too, I'd rather sign Lennon and have Keegan work his magic with him tbh.

Then again if we're sticking with this formation we're playing now do we need any wingers?

Like Duff at Chelsea and Blackburn? He certainly seems to have 'lost it'.

eeerr..........I knew there would be someone who would need to be explained "barring serious injuries"

Guest Knightrider

Lennon and N'Zogbia are pretty much identical in terms of talent, attitude, average end product and hype. A direct swap then.

Guest Darth Toon

Then again if we're sticking with this formation we're playing now do we need any wingers?

Maybe KK sees him as cover for the Martins role? I was thinking yesterday how key his pace is to the whole formation - if he gets injured I reckon we would struggle to be so effective.

Lennon and N'Zogbia are pretty much identical in terms of talent, attitude, average end product and hype. A direct swap then.

Except Lennon can't cross, shoot, or tackle. He is quick and tricky though, but Zog can score goals and put in great crosses. Don't get me wrong, if he's set on leaving, N'Zogbia can fuck off, but Lennon will need a hell of a lot of other attributes to compensate for his weaknesses to be considered a good value swap.

Lennon's got about much strength in his foot as Dyer. If we're going to buy a winger i'd like it to be one who can get the ball more than 2 foot of the ground, helps beat the first man imo.

Lennon's surely too lightweight. At the Spurs game Geremi just put his foot out a couple of times and took the ball off him, like taking sweets off a baby. We can do better than him surely. He's jut been hyped up because he plays for the media darlings.

Not sure I agree 100% but apart from that N'Zogbia's left-sided which makes him a rarer commodity straight away. I'd rather we kept him and saw how Keegan could get the most out of him because good left-wingers are few and far between. I wouldn't mind Lennon here either fwiw. Probably prefer SWP though.

N'Zogbia has so much more to his game than Lennon.. in fact he's superior in every footballing aspect, apart from pace maybe.. and it's not like Zog is slow..

i'm sure Keegan can persuade him to stay

In my opinion, Aaron Lennon is one of the most overrated players around.

Very true.  Once you look past their pace, a hell of a lot of quick players are overrated.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/2008/04/07/n-zogbia-s-back-in-the-frame-72703-20730207/

N'Zogbia's back in the frame

Apr 7 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

FORGOTTEN man Charles N’Zogbia will be back in the Newcastle United picture for Saturday’s match with FA Cup finalists Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

And the young Frenchman will be happy to be so – even though he has the unhappiest of memories at the south coast club.

N’Zogbia has missed the last two matches against Spurs and Reading because of a knee injury – but he has not been listed on the injury “bible” physioroom.com.

N’Zogbia, whose last appearance was as a substitute against Fulham, has not been missed against Spurs and Reading.

Joey Barton has had excellent games on the left side of midfield.

But N’Zogbia is still highly rated and, significantly, has been linked with a move to both Spurs and Arsenal. There is talk of a switch to White Hart Lane in part exchange with Spurs winger Aaron Lennon.

N’Zogbia woke up to a headline yesterday saying that Arsene Wenger was interested in taking both him and Oba Martins to The Emirates.

But first N’Zogbia has to get through Saturday’s game at Pompey, where his first-half performance 12 months ago left United manager Glenn Roeder fuming.

Roeder was not noted for blasting his players, but N’Zogbia was given a half-time dressing down by his manager and was left in the dressing room at the interval.

United lost the game 2-1 and N’Zogbia’s body language afterwards told the whole story.

Since then, both Sam Allardyce, who gave N’Zogbia a new contract, and Kevin Keegan have worked hard to persuade the 21-year-old Frenchman his future lies at St James’s Park.

But on the last transfer deadline day at the end of January, his agent Willie McKay insisted that because his mother and sister live in London, that’s where he wants to be.

But Portsmouth is N’Zogbia’s first port of call, with Keegan saying today: “Charles picked up a knee injury playing for the French Under-21 team a couple of weeks ago.

“But he has had a week’s training with the physio and he should be all right now.”

Right-back Stephen Carr is also close to full fitness after almost two months out with a hamstring problem.

But there is no way the Republic of Ireland international can replace the excellent Habib Beye on current form.

Guest Phil K

Rather fun to see people calling N'Zogbia overrated and others advocating Lennon in the same thread.

A player sulking and not performing is not much use in any way, is he ?

Lennon may well be doing the same at Spurs.

Much of a muchness, and usual "professional footballer" behahaviour as I see it - 5 year old pet lip brigade in other words.

N'Zogbia's still a fantastic talent and letting him go would be asinine. Keegan's man management will keep him at the club for sure.

I also look forward to he and Enrique developing a good rapport. We'll have a devastating left side, if they do.

N'Zogbia has so much more to his game than Lennon.. in fact he's superior in every footballing aspect, apart from pace maybe.. and it's not like Zog is slow..

i'm sure Keegan can persuade him to stay

ideal solution all round