Is N'Zogbia's exit inevitable? (Maybe not - Page 24!)

TRon

Not as good as some people think he is.

Not that im buying into this view or agreeing with it to ints entirtey, but SBR said that he was one of the most gifted players he'd ever had at that age and with the right training and motivation he could got to the top.

Now i'm ofthe view that unlike Viana, we have seen glimpses on a fairly regular basis to suggest that SBR maybe right.

Like i say, give him the right environment to thrive and think he would.

The thing is is that some of the best football we've seen from him is from when he was 19, he hasnt had the right environment to thrvie since then.

Zoggy's left-peg couldn't hold a candle to Viana's iyam.

Well yeah, but they're hardly even comparable in terms of the style of player they are.

Viana's left-foot was by far and away his best asset, whereas if N'Zogbia is gonna become a top player it'll be on the basis of his dribbling and direct style rather than his ability to pick out a pin-point cross or pass.

That pass for Bernard against Chelsea was insane though, while we're on about Hugo. As was the finish.

Always liked Viana, one of the most elegant footballers in a black and white shirt with a quality left peg, i always thought he was unlucky, never really got a run in in his favourite position always a back up on the left for Robert if i rememebr correctly.

Guest Sniffer

Bollocks. If you think he was unlucky at Newcastle you never saw him play. He was completely unsuited to the premier league and hasn't done much anywhere else.

Bollocks. If you think he was unlucky at Newcastle you never saw him play. He was completely unsuited to the premier league and hasn't done much anywhere else.

Unlucky in the sense that his time at newcastle essentially ruined his career (not newcastles fault - but he had a bad time here), i always got the feeling his subsequent career was a result of destroyed confidence.

Agree, he wasnt suited to the prem but he never really got to play in the centre of mdfield that much if i rememebr correctly, not that that would of made a huge difference....thought he did some good things.

That said, he never played well when he play in the centre. He probably looked better for us when he played wide-left when Robert was injured at the start of one season. Accept the point about him perhaps losing his confidence here but I tend to think he just wasn't as good as his early promise in Portugal suggested.

That said, he never played well when he play in the centre. He probably looked better for us when he played wide-left when Robert was injured at the start of one season. Accept the point about him perhaps losing his confidence here but I tend to think he just wasn't as good as his early promise in Portugal suggested.

I don't think he was a 4-4-2 player due to his lack of pace, especially in the middle. If he had a couple of players around him doing the donkey work, that would have suited him better. Hell of a left-foot on him though.

I don't think he was a 4-4-2 player due to his lack of pace, especially in the middle. If he had a couple of players around him doing the donkey work, that would have suited him better. Hell of a left-foot on him though.

Yeah, I agree there and he wasn't a big strong type either so playing in the middle of a 4-4-2 was even more of a problem when he wasn't pacey or box-to-box type either. I think you could have played him as a deep lying playmaker or in a more advance role in a midfield 3/5. Either way though you'd have to question 1) Why Robson bought him 2) why he wouldn't give him a chance when Jenas was out of form (for several months) & 3) why he wouldn't let him move on sooner.

Yeah, I agree there and he wasn't a big strong type either so playing in the middle of a 4-4-2 was even more of a problem when he wasn't pacey or box-to-box type either. I think you could have played him as a deep lying playmaker or in a more advance role in a midfield 3/5. Either way though you'd have to question 1) Why Robson bought him 2) why he wouldn't give him a chance when Jenas was out of form (for several months) & 3) why he wouldn't let him move on sooner.

Funnily enough, I think he could have done quite well in Owen's current role.

I'm not sure Viana would be making late runs into the box to try and sniff out a goal though.

I'm not sure Viana would be making late runs into the box to try and sniff out a goal though.

Granted, but as a link man he'd be pretty good at putting through the strikers. Maybe you'd need someonemore mobile than Viduka in that case though.

True, but what we'd lose with Owens GS prowess we'd gain with Vianas passing and creativity.

Guest Sniffer

Viana didn't show any creativity. He was too slow and too weak to make any impression and any argument otherwise is a due to a short retention span. Or people never saw him play and are making things up.

He was crap and a total waste of money by SBR.

Viana didn't show any creativity. He was too slow and too weak to make any impression and any argument otherwise is a due to a short retention span. Or people never saw him play and are making things up.

Well i saw him play and whilst he wasnt very effective during the game, he did show some glimpses of creativty.

Well i saw him play and whilst he wasnt very effective during the game, he did show some glimpses of creativty.

He made some amazing passes and created some chances out of nothing

Did you see him play for Portugal at Villa park against England.

No one could watch that and say he was not a good player.

He gave a masterclass in the art of the playmaker.

Guest Sniffer

Shit. I must've been watching the wrong player.

Why didn't we keep  such an amazing player? Who the fuck is too blame for letting him slip through our fingers and subsequently find success with other clubs?

Guest Sniffer

Did you see him play for Portugal at Villa park against England.

No one could watch that and say he was not a good player.

He gave a masterclass in the art of the playmaker.

Who gives a fuck what he did with portugal?

Calm down a bit. He played well in that game at Villa park.

I saw him in it and I'm not making things up.

Viana, argh such a frustrating player; you could see he had quality but something wasn't working for the lad. Great for portugal yet alas, ultimately a shower of shit in the toon top- terminal qualities were his lack of pace and fragility on the ball.

Guest BooBoo

I remember Viana having a terrible game away in Marseilles in the UEFA Cup Semi Final. He didnt look remotely interested and I'm sure shirked a challenge for Drogbas second goal.  :thdn:

I was thinking about Viana in this new system under KK.

Think it would work?

Probably not, but i think he'd have stood a better chance, might have become a prem footballer given that kind of chance.