Ronaldo vs Henry

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bergkamp is a magnificent player but he wasn't as good as Henry when he was at his peak.

I thought people stopped saying Henry didn't perform in the big matches when he scored 2 against Chelsea..

Arsenal were dominated in that game against Chelsea though - not necessarily the best match to make Henry's case.

Inter Meelan away.

Touche :)

I think Henry does have a decent case but the lack of a European title/memorable run obviously counts against him. He's unlucky in that the Arsenal team of those days (the latter days of Vieira) were never seemingly suited to European football, and he was also pretty unlucky in that he, like nearly every other Frenchman, was overshadowed by Zidane's brilliance on the international stage.

Guest Knightrider

Forgetting form, what they did or didn't do in this match or that match or on this stage or that stage, and looking at them purely as individuals, Ronaldo for me is the better player based on the fact he has more to his game and that's how I look at players. Not what they've won, not what club they play for, not how well they are performing, just their ability allied to their character.

Bergkamp is a magnificent player but he wasn't as good as Henry when he was at his peak.

I thought people stopped saying Henry didn't perform in the big matches when he scored 2 against Chelsea..

Arsenal were dominated in that game against Chelsea though - not necessarily the best match to make Henry's case.

Yeah it's not the best example but being a truly great player to me is about being the difference between drawing or loosing or winning or drawing. Henry made the difference in that game, his quick thinking and incisiveness got them a draw in a match they "deserved" to lose. Although I didn't make that clear in my post.

Ronaldo is one of the reasons why Man Utd are so dominant in many matches but in the tighter games (mostly against the better teams) he hasn't made the difference.

A few years ago you could say comfortably that Ronaldinho was the difference in one of those Chelsea/Barca CL matches. Or Kaka at old Trafford. Even Gerrard's 2nd half performance in Istanbul (although Hamann's introduction was as important).

Christiano hasn't had a performance like that yet.

Forgetting form, what they did or didn't do in this match or that match or on this stage or that stage, and looking at them purely as individuals, Ronaldo for me is the better player based on the fact he has more to his game and that's how I look at players. Not what they've won, not what club they play for, not how well they are performing, just their ability allied to their character.

That's fair enough. Shearer at his peak had more to his game than RVN but because of the different levels of success it wouldn't be an injustice to say RVN was better. For me the stage is very important.

Guest Knightrider

It's important in that it shows whether a player is capable of performing at the highest level, but in terms of ranking ability I don't think it's essential myself. Where Shearer is concerned, despite his lack of success and fewer big stages compared to some in this thread to showcase his talent, we kew he could perform at the highest level anyway, as he did whenever he got the chance to, for club and country. He destroyed Inter Milan's defenders at the San Siro and regularly got the better of defenders for England. The Premiership is a big stage too remember, remember Shearer against World Cup Winner Le Bouf at Wembley or Dessailly a few years back at SJP when he scored that cracker? Shearer had it all as a centre-forward and whatever stage he played at, he more often than not performed and to an extremely high standard.

It's important in that it shows whether a player is capable of performing at the highest level, but in terms of ranking ability I don't think it's essential myself. Where Shearer is concerned, despite his lack of success and fewer big stages compared to some in this thread to showcase his talent, we kew he could perform at the highest level anyway, as he did whenever he got the chance to, for club and country. He destroyed Inter Milan's defenders at the San Siro and regularly got the better of defenders for England. The Premiership is a big stage too remember, remember Shearer against World Cup Winner Le Bouf at Wembley or Dessailly a few years back at SJP when he scored that cracker? Shearer had it all as a centre-forward and whatever stage he played at, he more often than not performed and to an extremely high standard.

Aye totally agree. Definetely a "big game player" whilst there are question marks over henry and Ronaldo (whether rightly or wrongly). He just never got the opportunities that a player of his calibre deserved. No doubt about Shearer.

Shearer performed awfully in WC 98 and Euro 00. You're being very kind

After injury/past his peak. Judge him on the seasons prior to that.

Edit: He was awesome in that season for Blackburn and in Euro 96.

After injury/past his peak.

Edit: He was awesome in that season for Blackburn and in Euro 96.

Was ridiculously consistently awesome for 4-5 years leading up to the ankle break.

Edit: yeah what Tooj said.

Guest Knightrider

As did England, although against Argentina at France 98 he was immense, and played far better than Batistuta from what I remember. When England went down a man, he took up a role in midfield and become almost a defensive player, he was outstanding in that match I thought and showed his true footballing sense in that he adapted to a different role and I don't even think it was a Hoddle tactic, I think he just took it upon himself using his savvy. Anyway he showed his class at Euro 96 and against a whole multitude of different defenders, some of the best the game had to offer.

As did England, although against Argentina at France 98 he was immense, and played far better than Batistuta from what I remember. When England went down a man, he took up a role in midfield and become almost a defensive player, he was outstanding in that match I thought and showed his true footballing sense in that he adapted to a different role and I don't even think it was a Hoddle tactic, I think he just took it upon himself using his savvy. Anyway he showed his class at Euro 96 and against a whole multitude of different defenders, some of the best the game had to offer.

Colin Hendy?

see your point mate but you don't honestly think he deserves to be mentioned alongside Ronaldo or Henry

But Ronaldo is a cheat, and quite slimy with it. Can't step up when the going gets tough and is prone to sulks in such circumstances.

Henry is petulant and overly arrogant.

So I guess allied to character Henry actually edges it. ;)