Top 20 underperformers of the 2007/08 Premier League season

LooneyToonArmy

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/2008/...lonso_off.html

20. Louis Saha (Man Utd)

Five league goals and the odd flash of brilliance from the glass-legged Frenchman is simply not a good enough return. But can a player who is injured so regularly be classed as an underperformer? I think so. It may not be Saha's fault that his hamstrings ping every other week, but United fans are entitled to expect much more from one of their senior strikers.

19. Denilson (Arsenal)

Based on last season's evidence, I really thought Denilson would have kicked on in 2007/08. But if anything he has regressed. The young Brazilian has featured in just nine league games this campaign, and I wonder what's gone wrong with his development. I know he's just 20 years old, but so is Cesc Fabregas.

18. Damien Duff (Newcastle Utd)

I questioned Jose Mourinho's judgment when he allowed Duff to leave Chelsea and sign for Newcastle. Now I see where Jose was coming from: Duff by name, and these days he's Duff by nature. Since he first pulled on a black-and-white shirt, the Irishman has either been injured or underperformed. This season has been the same story - he has scored no league goals and featured in less than half of Newcastle's Prem matches. Must try harder.

17. Freddie Ljungberg (West Ham)

More proof that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger usually knows exactly when to let a player go. Freddie just hasn't looked happy at West Ham, but to be fair to him, going from Wenger to Alan Curbishley is like going from a Ferrari to a Ford. One league goal so far is a surprising return for a midfielder who loves to get forward. There's no doubt that the razor-cheeked Swede has lost some pace; without that, he is nowhere near as effective.

16. Aaron Lennon (Spurs)

I wonder if Lennon will ever be good enough to make it at international level. Indeed, I wonder if he'll ever be good enough to be signed by one of the big four English clubs. At the moment, there's no way that Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool would touch him. His crossing is terrible, he doesn't score goals (just two in the league this season), he can't tackle - all he offers is blinding pace, but his feet are faster than his brain. And the flash haircut and bling-bling earrings must go.

15. Michael Carrick (Man Utd)

Some United fans may find Carrick's inclusion a tad harsh, but the cultured Englishman has not asserted his authority this season. He still finds it difficult to impose himself in a crowded midfield, although he can look great when he has time and space - with Carrick there is always the feeling that he could be doing more for his team. One league goal is not a good enough return either.

14. Liam Rosenior (Reading)

Rosenior, who has played for England at junior level, was one of Fulham's better players for a couple of seasons. He looked like a natural leader, and his form pushed him into contention for selection to the full England squad. Then Lawrie Sanchez, in his wisdom, sold Rosenior to Reading - a decision that baffled many Fulham fans. Since then Liam has failed to make the grade under Steve Coppell, appearing in just 11 league games in 2007/08.

13. Paul Robinson (Spurs)

As the first-choice goalkeeper for one of the stronger nations in world football, Robinson should be performing at a higher level. That bobble in Croatia in England's World Cup qualifier clearly affected his confidence, and he hasn't regained his form since - I'd argue that he left his best form in Leeds. Spurs have conceded more home goals this season (26 so far) than Derby County, a stat which says it all. Just as well they have Keane & Berbatov up front, eh?

12. Julius Aghahowa (Wigan Athletic)

He's still only 26 (yeah, like I trust Nigerian birth certificates) and has played in a World Cup, but Aghahowa has been a major flop in his time at the JJB Stadium. He's played in 13 league games so far this season, but has yet to find the back of the net and show us his trademark, multiple-backflip celebration. Five years ago he was considered one of the brightest young prospects in Africa; now his career is in freefall. Surely Wigan will try to sell him this summer.

11. Andy Van der Meyde (Everton)

Perhaps it's no surprise than Van Der Meyde has been anonymous this season. After all, it's been the same sorry story since he signed for Everton in 2005. His Wiki entry says it best: 'On August 18, Van der Meyde was suspended following a breach of club discipline, because had failed to appear at training, being fined two weeks' wages, a total for £50,000. To date, he has not made a first team appearance since and has been limited to just reserve team football.' The Dutchman's sad decline has been spectacular.

10. Marlon Harewood (Aston Villa)

He's a Championship-level striker so I wonder what Villa boss Martin O'Neill saw in Not-So-Marvellous Marlon, to pay £4m to sign him from West Ham. Harewood has scored three league goals this season - a tally that reflects his indifferent form - and generally failed to win over any Villa fans. O'Neill must sell Harewood in the summer, even at a loss.

9. Xabi Alonso (Liverpool)

The emergence of Javier Mascherano has been bad news for Alonso, who is experiencing by far his worst season since he signed for Liverpool. The Sun reports today that Real Madrid are keen on bringing Xabi to the Bernabeu in the summer, and it's a credible rumour - the Spaniard has been surplus to requirements for much of the 07/08 campaign and there's no doubt that his reputation has suffered, although he remains very popular with the majority of Reds' fans.

8. Stilian Petrov (Aston Villa)

The Bulgarian has scored no goals this season, which is nowhere near good enough for an attacking midfielder who has featured in more than 20 league games. Petrov started brightly at Villa in 2006, when it seemed he could become a key player for them, but since then he has faded dramatically. I suppose he's been solid enough at time, but for a player at his peak (he's 28) who has captained his country many times, Villa should expect much more. Martin O'Neill remains supportive of the player he signed from Celtic for £6.5m, but even his patience must be wearing thin.

7. Gilberto Silva (Arsenal)

I feel rather sorry for Gilberto, who was excellent for Arsenal in 2006/07. He deserved to be given the captain's armband after Thierry Henry's departure, but instead Arsene Wenger overlooked him for William Gallas. Since then, the Brazilian's form has dipped dramatically. He has lost his place to Mathieu Flamini and not once has he looked like getting it back. Even on the rare occasions when Gilberto has played, he has looked like a shadow of the man who held the Gunners together last season.

6. Andrei Voronin (Liverpool)

It's clear that Voronin is not good enough to play for Liverpool. He's nearly a decent player, but doesn't have enough of anything to stand out, especially pace - that's why, despite a couple of impressive performances in pre-season, he has found himself behind Fernando Torres, Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel and Peter Crouch in the pecking order. Three league goals so far is a poor return, but I doubt he'll be given a chance to improve on that next season.

5. Claudio Pizarro (Chelsea)

Pizarro has so far appeared in 21 league games for Chelsea. He has scored two goals, both against Brimingham City, home and away. In other words, the Peruvian striker has struggled badly, missing far more chances than he has taken. In his defence, a lot of his appearances have come as a substitute, but still, he has done precious little to win over Chelsea's fans. Not one of Jose Mourinho's best signings.

4. Leroy Lita (Reading)

Leroy Lita - remember him? Last season he was outstanding for both Reading and England's U-21 side. Cut to this season and... er, he's magically vanished. Perhaps he started to believe his own hype, or maybe it's just that he's having a 'difficult second season', but either way, in 07/08 he's done absolutely nothing. Lita has featured in a few league games, but has scored zero goals. He's currently on loan at Charlton, and his future at the Madejski now looks bleak.

3. Darren Bent (Spurs)

Bent has five league goals to his name so far this season. That is not a woeful tally (it's not great either), but bear in mind that two of those were scored to seal 4-0 wins for Spurs, in pressure-free situations. The fact is, Bent has had a dismal season, in which he has failed to put any pressure on Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov, Tottenham's first-choice strike partnership. And when Jermain Defoe was a Spurs player, Bent was very much fourth-choice. Who pays almost £17m for a fourth-choice striker? Having said that, I still think Bent has a future at Spurs. He's not a bad player and will bounce back.

2. David Nugent (Portsmouth)

Signed from Preston for £6m, seemingly on the basis of a couple of wonder goals, Nugent has proved that he is not ready to play in the top flight. He's scored no league goals this season, and Harry Redknapp obviously doesn't rate him. Nugent himself has blamed his crap showing on an old hernia injury, so I should really give him the benefit of the doubt. Even so, he has been one of the most conspicuous flops of the 07/08 campaign.

1. Andriy Shevchenko (Chelsea)

Sheva is the second Chelsea striker on this list - I guess that tells you why Avram Grant was so keen to sign Nicolas Anelka in the January transfer window. I expected Shevchenko to make some sort of mark when Didier Drogba went to Ghana for the African Cup of Nations, but he failed miserably. There's no doubt that the Ukraine legend is the biggest flop in the history of the Premier League, and this season he's cemented that status.

No Barton,Viduka, Martins, Geremi, Butt, Emre,Taylor,Given what sort of joke list is this.

Smith? Vornin got on that list for "only" scoring 3 goals, would be in dreamland is Smith managed that :lol:

Voronin has played half as many games and cost £6m less  :blush:

No Barton,Viduka, Martins, Geremi, Butt, Emre,Taylor,Given what sort of joke list is this.

Smith? Vornin got on that list for "only" scoring 3 goals, would be in dreamland is Smith managed that :lol:

Voronin has played half as many games and cost £6m less  :blush:

Good spot, shame on me forgetting Alan "100 per cent" Smith.

I fucking hope we get shot of Petrov this summer.

I'll add another underperformer, too. Gareth Barry. Wretched second half of the season.

This is lazy journalism though:

10. Marlon Harewood (Aston Villa)

He's a Championship-level striker so I wonder what Villa boss Martin O'Neill saw in Not-So-Marvellous Marlon, to pay £4m to sign him from West Ham. Harewood has scored three league goals this season - a tally that reflects his indifferent form - and generally failed to win over any Villa fans. O'Neill must sell Harewood in the summer, even at a loss.

3 goals but only 1 start.

Where is Kuyt? 3 goals (2 penalties) in 22 28 league games (8 of those as a sub)...

Aye he's s***.

Smith should definitely be in the top 5.

What did people expect from him though? I knew he would be shite when we signed him. He's doing exactly what i thought he would do.