Laurent Robert to Toronto FC

thewellander

Guest JamesD

Osario did such a poor job of building a team in the off season. Worst NY team there has been since i started following them.

Osario did such a poor job of building a team in the off season. Worst NY team there has been since i started following them.

I'm not a follower (stubbornly holding out for the Cosmos to return), but I wanted to see Altidore play.

God damn that team is bad. Blanco tore them to shreds.

• 4 weeks later...

Another Toronto FC / Newcastle link-up. Gary Speed has been training with Toronto as part of his attempt to get his coaching badges. In case anyone's interested in reading the article, here's the link:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080619&content_id=167065&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Personally, I think going to a club being managed by an ex-Newcastle coach kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise, but I suppose it counts.

We should really use the carver connection and link up with toronto.

I hope that Carver's being in Toronto will result in Newcastle coming over to play a friendly. My TFC jersey would go in the closet for a night. That would be lovely.

Guest WalkervilleMag

I've just bought tickets for Chicago v Toronto in Section 8 next month, Looks like it will be Newcastle old boys :)

Guest Heneage

I've just bought tickets for Chicago v Toronto in Section 8 next month, Looks like it will be Newcastle old boys :)

I'm wondering of the lads who signed for Gateshead how many were offered trials.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Heneage

No Hucks, Roeder was right ot do so, he cant afford to keep a player on thats not performing Norwich are far from loaded.

Guest Heneage

I'm still assuming they haven't been taken over? At the time where he had to decide renewals and what have yo, they werent.

• 1 month later...

Well that didn't last very long. How he has fallen.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/19/robert-torontofc.html

Robert's short career with TFC comes to an end

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that they have waived French midfielder Laurent Robert.

The 33 year old joined the Major League Soccer club on April 2, 2008, signing as a free agent after being released by Derby County of the English Premiership.

Since then, he has scored one goal in 17 games — 16 as a starter — for Toronto.

Before coming to MLS, Robert was best remembered for his successful stint with Newcastle United where he scored 32 goals in 181 games in all competitions for the English club from 2001-2006.

It was at Newcastle that Robert played under current Toronto FC head coach John Carver, and won plaudits for his quickness, powerful shot and ability to score from free kicks.

Aside from Newcastle, Robert has also played in Spain (with Levante), Portugal (Benfica) and his native France (Montpellier and Paris Saint Germain).

But he failed to make a lasting impression in Toronto thanks to a series of uneven and uninspired performances.

Not a huge surprise. He wasn't fit enough to play a full 90 minutes and never really found his form. At least I can say that I was there when he scored his one and only goal for Toronto FC. It was the only game I went to this year.

I'll have to change my profile pic, I guess.

Makes ya wonder, how the hell do some decent footballers become so shite.

Just watched a video with a lot of his goals for us.. so many brilliant ones. Wish we had a set-piece taker as good as him now.