Can we catch West Ham?

ChezGiven

I don't really care about catching Wet Spam, am just happy that we are playing decent attacking football again.

???

I don't think we can do it, but wouldn't catching West Ham and playing attractive football again sort of come hand in hand?

Guest toonlass

I don't really care about catching Wet Spam, am just happy that we are playing decent attacking football again.

???

I don't think we can do it, but wouldn't catching West Ham and playing attractive football again sort of come hand in hand?

Possibly but catching west ham is not that important to me.

Me too. If we play well and pick up some decent results in the remaining games, I wouldnt be dissapointed if West Ham also picked up a couple of wins and finished above us.

Guest toonlass

Me too. If we play well and pick up some decent results in the remaining games, I wouldnt be dissapointed if West Ham also picked up a couple of wins and finished above us.

Exactly if they pick up points its not going to mean that much to me.

To be honest as long as we beat the mackems (and beat them soundly) I don't care if we finish above or below the hammers.  Obviously the higher up the league we get the more prize money we receive so that does matter.

The other consideration is our attractiveness to new players, top players are not going to be that interested in a club that just escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth but, if we make a real effort to get as high as possible, maybe 12th or 11th is realistic then sell ourselves as being on a springboard to make a push for UEFA next season we can attract the 2 or 3 quality players that Keegan thinks we need to be special again!!

Just beat the fuckin mackems though!!!!!!!  You know how much that means to us!!!

I've got a sneaky feeling that KK is saying to them we could possibly win all our games, it would give them something to aim for and make them (and us) go off happy at the end of the season. He's so optimistic I wouldn't put it past him (to say it - not to do it).

It sounds daft but i'd be dead proud if we made top 10 in this abortion of a season.

Not daft at all, after the horror we were feeling (at one point we really did look like going down) I think we deserve to feel a bit happy, even if otherwise top half wouldn't be considered that good.

To be honest as long as we beat the mackems (and beat them soundly) I don't care if we finish above or below the hammers.  Obviously the higher up the league we get the more prize money we receive so that does matter.

The other consideration is our attractiveness to new players, top players are not going to be that interested in a club that just escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth but, if we make a real effort to get as high as possible, maybe 12th or 11th is realistic then sell ourselves as being on a springboard to make a push for UEFA next season we can attract the 2 or 3 quality players that Keegan thinks we need to be special again!!

Just beat the fuckin mackems though!!!!!!!  You know how much that means to us!!!

I wish the Sunderland game was on Saturday, i can see the crowd and the players being well up for the next game.

KK said it was possible after the Spurs game. I think we'd need about 13 points which I can't really see us getting.

The Chelsea fixture always seems to throw a surprise up.

Wouldn't be surprised if we manage to beat them at home, but still think we'll finish a couple of points adrift of West Ham

I don't think we will finish above West Ham, but its a good turn around of events that we are even talking about the possibility of finishing above them when 2 games ago it looked possible that we could go down.

There is no harm in aiming to finshing above West Ham and I am sure Keegan will be aiming for that.

Was thinking the same thing. It all depends on how the Hammers and Spurs fair in the next couple of games but if the results go the right way it could be on going into that match.

Fixture moderating nightmare this.

Try and get Yorkie involved in the debate, problem solved.

What about spurs? They've got a pretty easy run-in, I think they'll pick up at least 4 wins from their last 6 games, which means we'll have to win every game get past them. So a top 10 finish - no chance.

I'd be happy to finish in 12th with a strong finish to the season, considering how bad it has been at times this last year.

Give us something to look forward to next year!!!!

No, I don't think we can.  At least I wouldn't bet on it.  Delighted if we do of course, but it's unrealistic on the balance of the performances this season.  As good as we were against Spurs, you have to admit that the opposition were very shit and not representative of the rest of the league.  They have been poor defensively and have the same problems in midfield that we have had all season (up until Butt & Geremi decided to get into gear).  Pompey, Chelsea, Everton and the sides still in the relegation battle will all put up much greater fights and will adjust to deal with our new 4-3-3.

I don't want to be too negative - there are sure signs of improvement and that is really encouraging.  And I would love it if Nicky Butt, Geremi, Owen etc. were capable & willing of that sort of performance week in & week out.  But looking at it from a rational perspective you have to look at our current form as an outlier in what has been a fairly consistent shower of shit from them.  I have a hard time believing that changes overnight with a smart tactical shift from the manager and a new coaching staff.  I'd need a lot more than 90-180 minutes of good/possibly great football to convince me.  Until they manage to be consistently decent, wholesale changes are still needed.  No more misplaced faith in experience and potential that only materializes on the brink of disaster.

Sounds strange but spurs is the one i want, see i dont mind Spurs to be honest think they're a decent outfit, but the media have been getting sore balls and tissues shortage writing about them. For me they seem to be the team this season that has had the most positive press despite  only achieveing one notable thing all season.

Compared to us, where we've been in so much turmoil, and had so much crap slung at us, it'd be nice to fininsh above them, albeit without a trophy.

After what we've gone through, I'll be happy to finish where we are right now. With the games we have coming up, I think it's unrealistic that we can catch West Ham. I realize how sad that sounds, but that's how I think it is.

Reading, Pompey, the Mackems and West Ham are all beatable teams by no stretch of the imagination.

No better time to enter a good patch of form tbh.