Bentley - On the Move In The Summer?

NG32

Can't see him coming here. Blackburn are better off than us at the moment.

Only in terms of the league. It's not like they're going to have a major investment in summer without selling first.

You're thinking far too short-term if you think Blackburn are a better prospect.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Can't see him coming here. Blackburn are better off than us at the moment.

No they are not. No europe next year, same as us.

Plus

Blackburn: No fans, no money, a manager that will be up for the next major job, bargain basement signings!

Newcastle: Fans, Money, top manager who will go nowhere, enough money to buy whoever will come

Newcastle: Had plenty of money for ages, have only gone backwards since SBR left.

Blackburn are a lot more stable than us at the moment. I would stay at least another year before deciding to join Newcastle if I was him.

Newcastle: Had plenty of money for ages, have only gone backwards since SBR left.

Blackburn are a lot more stable than us at the moment. I would stay at least another year before deciding to join Newcastle if I was him.

But stability isn't what he wants. He could have sat and bided his time at Arsenal but he didn't. He could have stuck with the U21's but he didn't. He now wants to move on and chances are he will move upwards, but he has the attitude that could lead to him taking a chance on what might be, and if you are going to gamble, Keegan is the man to back.

Blackburn are a small town club whereas Newcastle, whatever anyone might argue, has always in the higher glamour bracket since Keegan's last era. It might be too early in the recovery period, but anyone who remembers the last time around will want to be part of it if it looks like taking off again.

I think Keegan could convince him that with the money he has to spend we'll be in Europe next season and pushing for Champions League for the next few seasons.  Also he'll be able to offer him something the likes of Liverpool may not be able to, first team Football every week.  Its definitely a possibility IMO.

There's a difference between realistic transfer targets and pie in the sky wishlists. Bentley is a realistic target regardless of whether he comes. Berbatov and Carrick are more dreamland category currently. If we were a year further down the line maybe.

But stability isn't what he wants. He could have sat and bided his time at Arsenal but he didn't. He could have stuck with the U21's but he didn't. He now wants to move on and chances are he will move upwards, but he has the attitude that could lead to him taking a chance on what might be, and if you are going to gamble, Keegan is the man to back.

The highlighted part is the flaw in the argument of those who think Bentley might come here this summer.

Read the quotes carefully - he's talking very specifically about the next two seasons (after the current one). It seems to me he wants to play European football for both of those seasons - which we can't offer him. We can offer the chance of European football in the season leading up to the World Cup, but that's it.

I'd be very surprised if he left for any club not in the top four, although he's a chance to go to a club like Everton or Villa. But not us - and using that logic probably not Spuds either :D

What's the obsession with playing european football by the way? I can understand players wanting to play in the latter stages of the Champions League, but what's the attraction of being drawn against a Hungarian team in the first round of the UEFA cup?

I think it's just an excuse to ask for more money.

What's the obsession with playing european football by the way? I can understand players wanting to play in the latter stages of the Champions League, but what's the attraction of being drawn against a Hungarian team in the first round of the UEFA cup?

Yeah, I think the Champs League is really what everyone's after - players just want clubs to be in the UEFA so they can use it as a stepping stone to a champions league club I imagine.

Yeah, I think the Champs League is really what everyone's after - players just want clubs to be in the UEFA so they can use it as a stepping stone to a champions league club I imagine.

I can't see him getting that though, so he's kinda shooting himself in the foot. He should have just mentioned England.

I can't see him getting that though, so he's kinda shooting himself in the foot. He should have just mentioned England.

Yep, I think in Bentley's case he'll have to move straight into the Champs L, or at least a club that he expects to qualify next season.

He strikes me as very single-minded and ambitious, he's already made a couple of difficult/controversial decisions to get him where he is. He completely believes in his own ability, so I'd be surprised if he ended up outside the top 4 if he moves.

I could picture him at Liverpool.

I could picture him at Liverpool.

As I mentioned previously though, that all depends on what happens with their owners/manager. There's every chance that they could all be gone by the end of the season.

Reckon he's a 'possible' signing, but no better than that - maybe convinced if KK manages to make a couple of really eye-catching signings early in the Close Season, but otherwise, he is likely to go elsewhere or stay at Blackburn

He obviously wants to play in the Champions League, and for the foreseeable, that means one of four (or, in his case, three) clubs.

Anything else just won't happen. I reckon talk of KK talking him around is fanciful in the extreme, as is the thought of him joining any of the other chasing pack - Everton, Man City, Spurs (not that they're doing much chasing), Portsmouth etc etc. What would be the point?

Observe:

Asked if Blackburn missing out on Europe would precipitate a move, Bentley - who has been linked with Liverpool - added: "I won't answer that. I'll leave it up to you to decide.

"I want to play European football, I want to play at the top of my game. I want to go to the World Cup in two years and I want to be starting."

Take a look at what Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea are doing tonight. That's what he wants to be doing, and who can blame him?

He obviously wants to play in the Champions League, and for the foreseeable, that means one of four (or, in his case, three) clubs.

Anything else just won't happen. I reckon talk of KK talking him around is fanciful in the extreme, as is the thought of him joining any of the other chasing pack - Everton, Man City, Spurs (not that they're doing much chasing), Portsmouth etc etc. What would be the point?

Observe:

Asked if Blackburn missing out on Europe would precipitate a move, Bentley - who has been linked with Liverpool - added: "I won't answer that. I'll leave it up to you to decide.

"I want to play European football, I want to play at the top of my game. I want to go to the World Cup in two years and I want to be starting."

Take a look at what Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea are doing tonight. That's what he wants to be doing, and who can blame him?

The best deal for everyone would be if a top european team came in for him. No idea why more English players don't go abroad.

Guest Knightrider

He'll be off from Blackburn in my opinion. He knows his stock and if he doesn't, his agent will. I think we would stand a good chance if we showed an interest in my opinion. We won't be playing European football but St. James' Park is a big stage to perform on and a step up or two from playing at Ewood Park week in week out. For us to stand a chance though it would require one of the so-called big four to show no interest and if any of them did, for us to come up with some serious money and assurances.

Observe:

The best deal for everyone would be if a top european team came in for him. No idea why more English players don't go abroad.

Because they wouldn't earn half of the amount they do here. This is what gets me when you get the likes of Brooking, etc. whinging about not enough English players playing in the Premiership these days which is damaging the international team, how about a few more of our lot go abroad and learn over there?

Observe:

Because they wouldn't earn half of the amount they do here. This is what gets me when you get the likes of Brooking, etc. whinging about not enough English players playing in the Premiership these days which is damaging the international team, how about a few more of our lot go abroad and learn over there?

Premier League, best league in the world, innit

No need for any of them to leave the comfort zone any more

All depends on who's in for him tbh. I could see any of the big four being interested but none will guarentee him first time football. That doesn't mean he'll not go to one of them though, I think depsite his exit from Arsenal he would still be tempted to have another go at a top 4 club.

Assuming none of them make a bid, then IMO he'll still be off. If Spurs have an offer accepted for him, there's a good chance he'll end up there. Even if they qualify for the UEFA cup again, I don't think Everton have the money or the glamour to attract him , despite their respectable performances in the league for the last few years, they are still not a club that players feel honoured to have joined.

Both Villa and Man City need Europe to attract him and he's not going to leave Blackburn to go to clubs like Portsmouth or West Ham.

So for us, we have that glamour, that mystique, that despite what they do in the league clubs like Villa, Man City and Everton just can't match. In the last few years Spurs have rebuilt that glamour too, so I could see him going there if they make a bid, but if they can't match the fee or his wages then I think we'll have as good a chance as any outside the top 4.

To be honest, Bentley is an extremely unrealistic target to be honest, as Brummie hs mentioned, his quote i about getting to the world cup in 2 years and paying at a higher level, now honestly, as much blind faith as anyone can have, does anyone here actually think that Bentley would further his cause for England and himsef by coming here this summer??

The only 3 clubs i can see him going to would be Spurs, Liverpool or an outside bet would be Villa. The reaon i say this is becaue i dont think it is a realistic idea that we could qualify for Europe at te Bentley is obviously requiring in a couple of years(in essence one year), is a viable option for the ambitious Bentley? The answer, without a shadow of a doubt is no.

I am 95% certain that Bentley would not consider a move

EDIT: 99% certain

All depends on who's in for him tbh. I could see any of the big four being interested but none will guarentee him first time football. That doesn't mean he'll not go to one of them though, I think depsite his exit from Arsenal he would still be tempted to have another go at a top 4 club.

Assuming none of them make a bid, then IMO he'll still be off. If Spurs have an offer accepted for him, there's a good chance he'll end up there. Even if they qualify for the UEFA cup again, I don't think Everton have the money or the glamour to attract him , despite their respectable performances in the league for the last few years, they are still not a club that players feel honoured to have joined.

Both Villa and Man City need Europe to attract him and he's not going to leave Blackburn to go to clubs like Portsmouth or West Ham.

So for us, we have that glamour, that mystique, that despite what they do in the league clubs like Villa, Man City and Everton just can't match. In the last few years Spurs have rebuilt that glamour too, so I could see him going there if they make a bid, but if they can't match the fee or his wages then I think we'll have as good a chance as any outside the top 4.

:lol:

I know everyone thinks their club is the best but come on, get real please. It's not 1996, there is nothing special to an outsider about Newcastle United these days.