NUFC.Com Article - "It was twenty years ago today"

NG32

http://www.nufc.com/

That our current Academy coach really got under the skin of Steve Foster and his Luton Town chums see here

<not here, there  :pow:>

It's all there: the benches, the fences, standing terraces, Michael O'Neill's skinny legs, Gazza in happier times, ballboys in Co-op trackies, Willie McFaul wearing his wife's dressing gown, executive portakabins and changing rooms behind the Leazes End.

On the soundtrack commentator Charles Harrison burbles "perhaps that's a bit unnecessary...."

Au contraire Charlie, it was essential - never was there a more rotten away venue than Kenilworth Road, with its plastic pitch, ID cards and Thatcher-loving Chairman David Evans.

They took the mickey out of us in a 4-0 loss there in November 1987 - and it was fitting that we took revenge and rubbed it in at the next meeting with the Hatters.

Prissy Steve Foster with his daft perm and headband had led the p*ss-taking in Bedfordshire six months before, but couldn't stick it when the tables were turned on Tyneside

That really is piss taking at its absolute finest! fuckin quality!

(if Man U did it against us at OT there would be an uproar from us and the whole country nowadays tho!)

Nani did it for about 5 seconds v the arse and everyone went mental :lol:

Jesus christ someone must have been to that match!

I was there in the middle of the Gallowgate and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a match.

The .com comments say it all really. Luton were a horrible bunch of twats, the away trip there was always one of the worst of the season, cos we always seemed to get beat. The miner's strike was still a recent memory and teams like Luton seemed to be the epitome of Thacherism. It really was US against THEM, especially after their performance in the away game earlier in the season.

Mind you, I remember us passing the ball around for a lot longer before  Kenny sat on the ball, maybes I'm just losing it in me old age.

;D

Jesus christ someone must have been to that match!

I was there in the middle of the Gallowgate and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a match.

The .com comments say it all really. Luton were a horrible bunch of twats, the away trip there was always one of the worst of the season, cos we always seemed to get beat. The miner's strike was still a recent memory and teams like Luton seemed to be the epitome of Thacherism. It really was US against THEM, especially after their performance in the away game earlier in the season.

Mind you, I remember us passing the ball around for a lot longer before  Kenny sat on the ball, maybes I'm just losing it in me old age.

;D

Ditto for me.

I was in the Leazes yelling abuse at that fat arsehole Forster. O0

Luton were a set of wankers at that time aswell- apart from their pisstaking earlier on that season.

They had the thatcherite chairman who wanted to ban all away fans from their ground, even tho they had the extra advantage of playing on a plastic pitch.

Happy days indeed.

Guest Toonarama

Certainly one of the best things I have ever seen at a match and it was very lucky that the club had started producing videos of their matches.

I actually rented the video from the club and was kept waiting for an hour in the foyer because John "Ando" Anderson had forgot to return it.

United had lost 4-0 at Luton earlier in the season and the Luton players had been taking the proverbial; so when a Michael O'Neill hat-trick helped Newcastle to a 4-0 lead the players obviously decided it was payback time.

You can also see a report of the incident on http://www.toonarama.co.uk/players/kennyball.html

Ditto for me.

I was in the Leazes yelling abuse at that fat arsehole Forster. O0

Luton were a set of wankers at that time aswell- apart from their pisstaking earlier on that season.

They had the thatcherite chairman who wanted to ban all away fans from their ground, even tho they had the extra advantage of playing on a plastic pitch.

Happy days indeed.

I hated going to Luton, it was one of the worst days out.

"Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play"  Sorry !

Was it really only 20 years ago, seems like a lot longer. Was in the Gallowgate corner directly behind Wharton basking in the sunshine. (Roger Tames probably commentating from the bog roof - we knew how to treat the press in them days)

I once saw Wharton dish out a "Blakelaw kiss" and despite the size difference I'd have backed him against Foster if it had started.

"Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play"   Sorry !

Was it really only 20 years ago, seems like a lot longer. Was in the Gallowgate corner directly behind Wharton basking in the sunshine. (Roger Tames probably commentating from the bog roof - we knew how to treat the press in them days)

I once saw Wharton dish out a "Blakelaw kiss" and despite the size difference I'd have backed him against Foster if it had started.

If Kenny had a go at Foster he would have had good backup, his older brother was a canny boxer (obviously not the 4 legged kind).

"Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play"   Sorry !

If Kenny had a go at Foster he would have had good backup, his older brother was a canny boxer (obviously not the 4 legged kind).

Kenny was no slouch himself, would probably have made a decent flyweight !

I knew Kenny well, we went to school together and played for the same football team, he was one of my best mates until my parents moved house.

I knew Kenny well, we went to school together and played for the same football team, he was one of my best mates until my parents moved house.

He doesn't look old enough...

;)

He doesn't look old enough...

;)

:lol:

Guest float one in

Certainly one of the best things I have ever seen at a match and it was very lucky that the club had started producing videos of their matches.

I actually rented the video from the club and was kept waiting for an hour in the foyer because John "Ando" Anderson had forgot to return it.

United had lost 4-0 at Luton earlier in the season and the Luton players had been taking the proverbial; so when a Michael O'Neill hat-trick helped Newcastle to a 4-0 lead the players obviously decided it was payback time.

You can also see a report of the incident on http://www.toonarama.co.uk/players/kennyball.html

Is that you who runs toonarama then?

If it is, hats off to you sir! Absolutely brilliant site, my favourite on the web by miles - keep it up! Love the features on individual players that I am too young to have seen.

Wish I'd been at this match - I was five at the time and unfortunately it was another 4 or so years before my uncle decided I was old enough to start going with him.

Guest toonlass

I was there, aged 13 in the Gallowgate with my dad and grandad. Still can't help laughing at it!

Milburn paddocks and I was 11. Went there with a group of German kids over on a foreign exchange thingy. The school bought every kid a ticket for this match and a mackem match at Roker a few days earlier iirc. They'd never seen anything like it before and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Sunderland game was shit btw.  :lol:

Guest johnson293

I was there as well (I was 15 at the time), also in the 'scoreboard (Gallowgate centre bit, for the young 'uns on here :coolsmiley: )

That was my first season of going to matches, and the 4th match I'd been to after the FA Cup 5th round against Wimbledon (on their way to winning the thing!)

Remember all the showboating at the end, but didn't think there was any footage of it around.

Steve Foster was a compete prick. I really hated him when i was little. I even took a dislike to Eric Young as he also used to wear a headband. I was in the paddocks that day.

Not sure it was the same season but one year we had to wear their orange away kit down there as out silver kit clashed with their white. The ref had said something about the floodlight reflecting off it.

Kenny was one of my hero's as a kid as i went to school with his son and he even came round to our house after a birthday party one year. Them were the days of normal footballers that lived down your street, like John Anderson did and Martin Thomas lived round the corner. Ando even recognised me and my bro in Basel and let us into the training session the night before.