Deco & if not him then it is Joao Moutinho

Thespence

Yes we can talk about Deco, Moutinho, Navas etc etc ...but I really wish we would take some lessons from Mr Wenger's book and sign some player without an excessive reputation at a decent price who turns out to be ace e.g. toure, viera, ljunberg, clichy. Even Pires, Henry, Van Persie didn't have reputautions that would set the Premier League on fire.

Having said that, we are Newcastle United and we'll probably end up buying Wes Brown and Steve Sidwell  O0

By the way, how is Vincent Kompany doing? is he still as good as people made out he was?

Deco would be a short-term signing but he would, for the 2 or maybe 3 seasons he is still effective, take us to the next level. top class player and i don't think he'd have a problem adapting to english football, he is deceptively strong and has a way of riding challenges and running whilst holding off larger players. i think he can be as good as paul scholes was and is in this league, or another good comparison is with Beardsley who rejoined the club aged 32.

realistically we probably aren't going to go out and get the very best players who aren't currently at big clubs, ie VDV or Diego,(tho it would be nice to try anyay) but we will have a chance getting big names on the way down, or bright players on the way up. i'd suggest it makes more sense to buy the youngsters but there is also a place for the finished product as a short-term impact signing, as long as it is an exception and we don't base our whole transfer strategy on these sorts of players.

Deco wouldn't be able to adapt. He's too small and fragile. Not worth the £15m being banded about.

The likes of Benito Carbone, Di Canio and Zola aren't too dissimilar but they adapted fine.

Deco always looked class when playing english sides tbh. even against brutes like chelsea, or against Man Utd when in an inferior side. there's also the advantage that if he came we'd probably play a three-man midfield which would give him extra protection.

£15m seems a lot of money for him, but as has been mentioned earlier, he'd be a player that pays for himself and would also improve the team massively. Think we're desperate for a DM though, would absolutley love Veloso head in the tclouds type signing.

Guest Sniffer

I hope Keegan has more sense than to stock the squad with players who are the wrong side of 30 especially if they have no experience in the premier league or our winter conditions.

Guest float one in

Imagine KK speaks to Deco, explains to him that by the end of the 2009-2010 season he expects us to be qualifying for the champions league. He tells him a few of the types of players he's looking to buy this summer and next, how much money is available, and works his magic to convince him it's all a nailed on certainty. He promises Deco that if he signs he's going to be the main man for the next 3 seasons, everything will go through him and he'll have more or less a free role behind the likes of Owen, Martins, and whoever else is on the shopping list.

Deco replies saying he wants in, provided KK comes good on his promise to spend big in the summer. He's sick of being a bit parter at Barca, especially with the young attacking midfielders they've got coming through, and that he's motivated and wants to play 4 years of quality football in a good team, under an attacking manager, in front of big home crowds, in England, the best league in the world.

15 million would be worth it in my opinion. 

Guest Sniffer

Perhaps.....if he was just turning 28. Good clubs don't commit huge resources to players over 30, in fact, they are looking to ship them out and are already grooming replacements.

Perhaps.....if he was just turning 28. Good clubs don't commit huge resources to players over 30, in fact, they are looking to ship them out and are already grooming replacements.

Sorry did I miss the part where we became a good club!?!

We're not going to go from where we are to winning the Champions League in one fell swoop. If Deco was just turning 28 then we'd have absolutely no chance, we'd be laughed outta town, we probably still will be. Why would a really world class player at the top of his game even contemplate coming here!?!

Deco wouldn't be able to adapt. He's too small and fragile. Not worth the £15m being banded about.

I think he would to be honest.

He's a tough little buggar, and sure he might not have the technique in the tackle & at times bends the rules with some of his challenges on the ball, but for me he doesn't noticeably shy away from the physical/contact side of the game in a major way as compared to Viana, and Viana throughout the early stages of his career - ie. at Portugese Youth Level, and at Sporting - was very much a 'protected' 4-5-1 loose/creative midfielder hence the club/SBR never saw any defensive accountablity on his part. IMO i always thought that Viana was a poorly scouted acquisition on our part. Whereas Deco's aforementioned toughness somewhat balances whatever he lacks in terms of physical presence, but it's more about achieving the right defensive/attacking balance in the central midfield engine. If Keegan is able to find a complimenting defensive midfielder partner - and i think Butt will still make a worthy contribution in a rotational basis - Deco will be fine.

There were a couple of heated matches during the later stages of the WC, which Portugal were involved in, and he stepped up to the plate so to speak. For me his attitude & aptitude resembles that of a streetfighter-type midfielder, like Acuna minus the obvious defensive instincts/ability to read the game from a defensive standpoint. Deco's defensive application, or his willingness to get his boots dirty, is underrated imo.

We haven't had an 'all-out' attacking central-playing creator/playmaker at our disposal since Beardsley hung up his boots. Deco, if available at the right price, would be too good a player to ignore.

I think he would to be honest.

He's a tough little buggar, and sure he might not have the technique in the tackle & at times bends the rules with some of his challenges on the ball, but for me he doesn't noticeably shy away from the physical/contact side of the game in a major way as compared to Viana, and Viana throughout the stages of his career - ie. at Portugese Youth Level, and at Sporting - was very much a 'protected' 4-5-1 loose/creative midfielder hence the club/SBR never saw any defensive accountablity on his part. IMO i always thought that Viana was a poorly scouted acquisition on our part. Whereas Deco's aforementioned toughness somewhat balances whatever he lacks in terms of physical presence, but it's more about achieving the right defensive/attacking balance in the central midfield engine. If Keegan is able to find a complimenting defensive midfielder partner - and i think Butt will still make a worthy contribution in a rotational basis - Deco will be fine.

There were a couple of heated matches during the later stages of the WC, which Portugal were involved in, and he stepped up to the plate so to speak. For me his attitude & aptitude resembles that of a streetfighter-type midfielder, like Acuna minus the obvious defensive instincts/ability to read the game from a defensive standpoint. Deco's defensive application, or his willingness to get his boots dirty, his underrated imo.

We haven't had an 'all-out' attacking central-playing creator/playmaker at our disposal since Beardsley hung up his boots. Deco, if available at the right price, would be too good a player to ignore.

Once again, always bringing the sense to the table.

I still think you missed your calling as a sports journalist of some sort.

Yes we can talk about Deco, Moutinho, Navas etc etc ...but I really wish we would take some lessons from Mr Wenger's book and sign some player without an excessive reputation at a decent price who turns out to be ace e.g. toure, viera, ljunberg, clichy. Even Pires, Henry, Van Persie didn't have reputautions that would set the Premier League on fire.

Having said that, we are Newcastle United and we'll probably end up buying Wes Brown and Steve Sidwell  O0

By the way, how is Vincent Kompany doing? is he still as good as people made out he was?

So your conclusion is we should sign someone brilliant for very little money. That's genius! Why had no-one thought of that before?

So your conclusion is we should sign someone brilliant for very little money. That's genius! Why had no-one thought of that before?

:-)

• 2 months later...

I can't beleive people are moaning at signing the likes of Deco a world class player. He's very underated, he's pacy and can open defences with single passes and as already mentioned is prepared to graft. At 30 if we get 3 or 4 seasons out of him great. Nicky Butt is 33 or 43 (or about there) and was one of our best most consistent players last season. Last night after Ronaldo Deco was the second best Porto player IMO. What we need is him and another four or five £15m signings to try and push us on next year.

Unlike Ronaldhino (cough cough Patrik Kluivert) he hasn't fallen out of form and favour in specitacular fashion - he just wants to play regular football. He isn't injury prone and twice the player Emre is so lets get him in.

I can't beleive people are moaning at signing the likes of Deco a world class player. He's very underated, he's pacy and can open defences with single passes and as already mentioned is prepared to graft. At 30 if we get 3 or 4 seasons out of him great. Nicky Butt is 33 or 43 (or about there) and was one of our best most consistent players last season. Last night after Ronaldo Deco was the second best Porto player IMO. What we need is him and another four or five £15m signings to try and push us on next year.

Unlike Ronaldhino (cough cough Patrik Kluivert) he hasn't fallen out of form and favour in specitacular fashion - he just wants to play regular football. He isn't injury prone and twice the player Emre is so lets get him in.

I thought Deco was fairly poor last night. One brilliant switch but other than that he seemed to lose the ball alot while both running and dribbling. Simao, Ronaldo and Mountinho all outshone him imo.