50,000 + Or.....

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Right ignore for a fact, the extra revenue that the 50,000 + generates.

Would you rather have 50,000 like we do now? And I know a lot of people throw the attendances into the faces of other fans, when we aren't do anything.

But would you rather have the attendances we do now with all the fair weather fans, who go home early etc, don't actually bother getting behind the team. Or the 35,000 of say 10-15 years ago, when everyone was getting behind the team, creating white hot atmospheres after white hot atmospheres.

Don't bother turning this into a McKeag argument, as I'm fully aware what the attendances were like before Keegan took over.

Thee problem of people leaving early has always beens there and always will be.

When I first got a season ticket 25yrs ago the guy that used to occasionally give me a lift used to leave early (he had to wait for me though).

The atmosphere was always better before the stadium was expanded and people who used to stand/sit together got spread out over the whole stadium, the problem you find now is that you can't hear the other end of the ground singing, so none of the old banter goes on.

The sound outside the ground is much better than inside, I had to work on saturday and when I came into the toon I could here the noise down by the Haymarket/Eldon square.

Guest HGB1892

Another myth about NUFC is that the atmosphere was always great before the expansion. No it fucking wasn't.

There are certain factors that I think affect the current atmosphere.

Stadium structure

Playing style

Wins/Loss

If they built up all the sides to be even I think the noise would carry brilliantly!

We are now starting to play some good football, which is attacking and entertaining, so I think if we were in a better position, say top 4-6 we may get more supporters joining in with the songs/chants and less leaving early (I can't believe people would want to pay all that money and leave the team they support early)!

Again, more wins and losses at home would help a great deal.

So option 3 - 70,000

Another myth about NUFC is that the atmosphere was always great before the expansion. No it fucking wasn't.

You've sort of hit the nail on the head. The atmosphere, pre-expansion, was only really good when the team were doing well, especially under Keegan. The two go hand in hand.

Guest BooBoo

Correct.

I've been to 12 league games this season, home and away and personally I don't feel the need to try and make others feel bad because they were not there or do not go to games etc. It's a shame that there are so many people that do.

But would you rather have the attendances we do now with all the fair weather fans, who go home early etc, don't actually bother getting behind the team. Or the 35,000 of say 10-15 years ago, when everyone was getting behind the team, creating white hot atmospheres after white hot atmospheres.

Eh? Can you even remember 10-15 years ago? I had a season ticket then and as soon as 85 minutes came up people were flooding to the exits. Most of my last 5-10 minutes of home games was spent singing "We can see you, we can see you, we can see you sneaking out!" at our OWN fans.

And the noise wasn't what people claim it was either. Even then there were people saying that "It's not like it was 10 years ago, bring back terracing, blah blah blah". Sure, it was noisier than now in the mid 90s, but we had a hell of a lot more to cheer about then too! Give us a team that's winning games and we'll be as noisy as anyone again. I'm not saying that it's RIGHT that we should need the players to inspire us to make a noise, but it's a fact now and it always has been. The best atmospheres are always when one (Or more) of the following happens:

1) We're flying high, winning games and scoring goals

2) We're in the shit and / or siege mentality has set in due to off-field events

3) We play a 'hated' team, eg Sunderland or Man U

4) We feel we need to complain about something (Eg manager, board, referee)

It's ALWAYS been the case that insipid 0-0 draws against Blackburn when we're about 10th in the table and playing mediocre football will be met by a subdued crowd. Perhaps we look back on 15 years ago and think the atmosphere was that much better because we were 15 years younger, and it was us in the equivalent of Level 7 of the Leazes (Standing in the Gallowgate under the scoreboard) making all the noise whilst those who had done it 15 years earlier again we're sat in the East Stand wondering why it was so quiet around them?

I've been to 12 league games this season, home and away and personally I don't feel the need to try and make others feel bad because they were not there or do not go to games etc. It's a shame that there are so many people that do.

Have you changed your tune about Keegan yet though?

Put a good team out, and the big games will have white hot atmospheres.

(People are kidding themselves if they think the atmosphere is gonna be as good as anything in Europe for games against the likes of Fulham, Reading and Bolton etc)

Right ignore for a fact, the extra revenue that the 50,000 + generates.

Would you rather have 50,000 like we do now? And I know a lot of people throw the attendances into the faces of other fans, when we aren't do anything.

Don't bother turning this into a McKeag argument, as I'm fully aware what the attendances were like before Keegan took over.

2 sides to this

One is that the crowds pre-Hall and Shepherd were 15-25000 and not 35000. The ground couldn't hold 35000 such was the ineptitude of their predecessors. Which makes me think you aren't aware of the attendances like you say you were.

The other of course, is when you accept the massively higher level the Halls and Shepherd left the club at as against where they found it, the atmosphere in the ground is a much bigger concept than merely Newcastle United. It is all about all seater stadiums and the fact that every other club suffers in the same way.

When was the atmosphere at it's best, in your opinion NE5? Genuine question, was wondering how you'd reply. You've been to one or two more games than me see. :)

When there were standing areas it was far better.

The first Keegan years so far as the excitement and expectation were in a class of their own. But generally, every stadium in the premiership would be better off if they had standing areas behind the goals. With controlled admission, ticket only etc etc if needed. No problems with that aspect. We know that the Heysel stadium, and Hillsborough should never happen again but in my opinion the legislation went a bit too far and its time to relax it.

Guest Blackandwhitearmy

Something else that represents our atmosphere is how long songs last these days, apart from the 5-20 second burst of 'Newcastle Newcastle Newcastle' then there is rarely any sort of atmosphere.

its not the fair weather fans who cause lack of atmosphere, the reasons are,

- All seater stadium, so the crowd is more spread,

-The football has been poor for years and killed off the crowd

- anybody who understands accoustics, can see that we have conceded the noisiest part of the stadium to the away fans.

-Where we put the away fans is enclosed on all sides.... it is like the back of a loud speaker, they shud be down the front of the same corner where you cant hear them.

Anyway,, Wor Kev will bring back the noise next season

When was the atmosphere at it's best, in your opinion NE5? Genuine question, was wondering how you'd reply. You've been to one or two more games than me see. :)

The first Keegan years so far as the excitement and expectation were in a class of their own. But generally, every stadium in the premiership would be better off if they had standing areas behind the goals. With controlled admission, ticket only etc etc if needed. No problems with that aspect. We know that the Heysel stadium, and Hillsborough should never happen again but in my opinion the legislation went a bit too far and its time to relax it.

agree about the standing bit being brought back but disagree about the atmosphere to some extent. the noise wasn't as loud due to roof coverage etc. if you sat in the old stand the gallowgate didn't sound all that loud but if you were in the gallowgate the atmosphere could be electric.

agree about the standing bit being brought back but disagree about the atmosphere to some extent. the noise wasn't as loud due to roof coverage etc. if you sat in the old stand the gallowgate didn't sound all that loud but if you were in the gallowgate the atmosphere could be electric.

I can accept that for some people the Gallowgate was the old singing area when it was a terrace, but others like me - to a man probably - who were in the old Leazes end with the roof, will tell you that the day the Leazes End was bulldozed and that roof came down, it was never the same.

Guest Phil K

But would you rather have the attendances we do now with all the fair weather fans, who go home early etc,

Yet another tit who thinks attacking our own fans is a good idea, thinks he is "something special" as a fan for some baffling reason, and gives the likes of Man U and Man City and Everton fans et al all the ammunition to fire at us with their "Where were you when you were s***" chants - which STARTED when this kind of idiocy began when we were promoted.

Jesus effing wept....do some people never learn ?

I can accept that for some people the Gallowgate was the old singing area when it was a terrace, but others like me - to a man probably - who were in the old Leazes end with the roof, will tell you that the day the Leazes End was bulldozed and that roof came down, it was never the same.

That's very true NE5. I'm a little too young to remember the leazes with a roof but my step brothers used to always extole the virtues of how it used to be when we would stand on the same sparsely populated rotten terraces with half built foundations.

I might be wrong but I guess most the core of the roofed leazes end moved to the Gallowgate corner. I have to admit, being a Jesmond born and bred boy I was a little scared of "the corner" and if I was in the Gallowgate, I would always park myself under the scoreboard. The vocal fencing we used to get between those two sections of the crowd was highly amusing.