Portsmouth 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 12/04/08 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

Although on the whole Geremi's corners are shocking, I'd excuse him today. If he'd simply put the ball in the box, with the size of their team and 'keeper, they'd have dealt easily with it. The only way we'd have made an impact from a corner today would have been with a whipped one, and those are harder to execute, so obviously the player who's first in the box is going to head it away.

What I don't get is why we don't stick someone in front of him who can flick it on.

Although on the whole Geremi's corners are shocking, I'd excuse him today. If he'd simply put the ball in the box, with the size of their team and 'keeper, they'd have dealt easily with it. The only way we'd have made an impact from a corner today would have been with a whipped one, and those are harder to execute, so obviously the player who's first in the box is going to head it away.

What I don't get is why we don't stick someone in front of him who can flick it on.

Faye tried to do it for the first half

No nowt about the game; other than what i've read in the post-match comments.

But, five games unbeated, another clean sheet, inevitable change of gear hasn't resulted in a loss which is excellent, and this was a good team. I didn't have to watch the game to know that we're really, really pushing on. This upturn in fortunes isn't just a flash in the pan. We'd have lost this game six weeks ago.

Well pleased with that tbh. From a practical point in view aswell, we're still right on Spurs' tails, and we've got West Ham to play. Results went sexily for us.

Wish we didn't have to wait till next fucking Monday for the next game.

Gerrin.

A good result against a team who have not lost at home to the 'big 4', and on possession and chances ww should have won - 53% of possession away to a top 6 side is a good performance.

The team are now playing for each other, and there is far more movement off the ball than there was under Allardyce, which is creating space for constructive passing at speed - this has improved 100%.

The aim should now be to pass the 43 points which was the lowest PL total the club has achieved and to make the club as attractive as possible to the signings which are still needed in summer.

Very happy with the progress being made - it looks promising for next season - both full backs once again impressed me as away matches are more testing for defenders.

Guest battyleespeed

I guess there was a near post set play they were trying to pull off but obviously it didnt. Couple of Geremis free kicks were simply outstanding, it just Mickey couldnt capitalize on them. Did quite OK for away game, just lacked that extra edge to kill off Portsmouth who were off their rhythm.

Couple of observations....Enrique just doesnt convince me although he seemed again a little fitter than previously. He is shakey and seems to lack confidence... kind of playing his own game and not with the team. He doesnt speak English so that might be one big issue there. Lot of the long balls and crosses he hits doesnt trouble opposition at all and we end up losing possession cheaply. I think he lacks pace not only on 1v1 situations but when transitioning from attack to defense. Offensively he is okay as he can build up speed over distance but once it comes down to situations where he has to quickly change direction he is very slow for fullback and that is not too surprising looking at his height, weight and age. He looks physically more centreback than fullback. Any managers worth their money will identify him as the weaklink in our back four and they'll make sure to try to isolate him by playing balls behind him and doubling up on him etc.

Barton reminded of Milner when he is used to play left wing... always cut back to his right foot and played it square to middle or passed backwards. Too predictable! Not really sure where Barton would fit the best.

Viduka - 5 - Smith would really be more effective in away games against the good teams.

Well thats debatable.

Hats off to Mozy, I'd say he was right. Viduka was having to drop deeper and battle, and he was ineffective.

I didn't have the courage to make the point re Smith myself. His popularity of this board is roughly on a par with Adolf Hitler.

I don't know why we didn't try a couple of short corners instead of continually knocking it into the box against a side that had a huge height advantage.

Good away performance which we could have won, if we can play like that away from home next season we will put ourselves in a great position if were doing the business in the home games

I don't know why we didn't try a couple of short corners instead of continually knocking it into the box against a side that had a huge height advantage.

probably why geremi insisted on playing flat corners to the near post all evening.

I guess there was a near post set play they were trying to pull off but obviously it didnt. Couple of Geremis free kicks were simply outstanding, it just Mickey couldnt capitalize on them. Did quite OK for away game, just lacked that extra edge to kill off Portsmouth who were off their rhythm.

Couple of observations....Enrique just doesnt convince me although he seemed again a little fitter than previously. He is shakey and seems to lack confidence... kind of playing his own game and not with the team. He doesnt speak English so that might be one big issue there. Lot of the long balls and crosses he hits doesnt trouble opposition at all and we end up losing possession cheaply. I think he lacks pace not only on 1v1 situations but when transitioning from attack to defense. Offensively he is okay as he can build up speed over distance but once it comes down to situations where he has to quickly change direction he is very slow for fullback and that is not too surprising looking at his height, weight and age. He looks physically more centreback than fullback. Any managers worth their money will identify him as the weaklink in our back four and they'll make sure to try to isolate him by playing balls behind him and doubling up on him etc.

Barton reminded of Milner when he is used to play left wing... always cut back to his right foot and played it square to middle or passed backwards. Too predictable! Not really sure where Barton would fit the best.

I'm not going to get all uncivil on you but i could not disagree more re enrique. He seems like he has confidence, as he keeps trying to play the passes, and the amount of times he picks the ball up deep and drops his right shoulder to beat his man tells me he's playing with confidence as if he loses it there we really would be in trouble!

1 v 1 i'm yet to see him get beaten, often he recovers very well too, see once in the 2nd half where Defoe broke free down the right channel and Enrique caught him, put a foot in and then barton collected the lose ball.

I for one don't mind losing possession if it's come from a cross. You can't expect every cross into the box to be capitalised on by our forwards, and if you lose possession anywhere, the safest place is in the opposition box as it's furthest from our goal and likely they'll be hemmed in.

He's no world beater yet, but he absolutely doesn't have to be. He's 22, and he's first season in a new country not speaking the language. I know if i was in spain i'd make a shabby waitor due to language differences, let alone a premiership quality fullback!

Enrique or Beye could surely deliver better corners than Geremi?

In fact, fuck it. Let's get Harper to take them.

His corners are not that bad and there is such a fine line between getting them right and wrong. Over hit it slightly and David James takes them all, under hit it slightly and the first man clears it.

Viduka - 5 - Smith would really be more effective in away games against the good teams.

Well thats debatable.

Hats off to Mozy, I'd say he was right. Viduka was having to drop deeper and battle, and he was ineffective.

I didn't have the courage to make the point re Smith myself. His popularity of this board is roughly on a par with Adolf Hitler.

Viduka is similar to Shearer in the respect that, although he was frequently not in the game (particularly in his later years), there was always a definite possibility that he would score. You don't get that with Smith.

I thought Viduka was pants against Reading in all honesty, although i didn't say so, particularly in the first half. But i fancied him to score.

dont think it was Geremi's set peices that were the problem. I think putting 9 corners into the box full of Campbells, Diop's, Distins, Kanu's, Muntaries (sp), Jame's is always going to be difficuly. We never once tried to mix it up. Going short, edge of the box etc. That was the only frustrating thing for me.

HOwever, i think it was actually a really good result. Playing against a very good and strong Portsmouth team. We are getting better each game. Another clean sheet. I thought Vid looked tired to be honest. He'll do better against the Mackems though.

Dont think Beye could push forward as much as he did against Reading, thats fair enough. & as someone pointed out earlier, Enique did give the ball away, but him and Martins are obviously tring to get an understanding down the left.

I think slowly but surely, we're getting there. Just give us 3 points in Sunday, and im a happy man and looking forward to next year!

Draw to a side like Postsmouth is a good result and keeps the unbeaten run going.

it is........but before the game we didn't think it outlandish we could win and then we could have won the game, the past few weeks haven't just seen a change in results but in the whole playing ethos of the club. we are now going to places like portsmouth thinking "a point at worst" and we aren't kidding ourselves.