Replacing Nicky Butt/acquiring someone better for the role he now plays

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I'll do what the bloke in your avatar did, strip off, but I'll go one further and show me arse in Fenwicks window, if we sign him.

The idea is to replace a player just BEFORE they totally lose it, it's what Wenger and Fergie try to do, so yes this summer would be the ideal time to buy a replacement with Butt turning 34 next season. Also this season, for me, Butt hasn't shown that much, he hasn't been consistent and he has had some really bad games. Lets bring in a young player to challenge him.

Over the past few weeks Butt has been tremendous, incisive passing, well-timed tackling and being in the right place at the right time. When we've really needed him he has stepped up to the plate and, to his credit, has proved his doubters wrong.

However, despite his recent performances, it should not be forgotten just how frustrating Butt has been in patches this season. Poor ball retention, poor passing, etc. Though Butt has thus far flourished under the new system and KK's stewardship, I think it would be unwise not to look for a DM, particularly because we have little cover in that area, and especially if KK is going to persist with the current formation. We need someone who will perform consistently throughout the season and someone with a greater ability to influence the outcome of a game

Butt's defensive work and positioning is decent, and the way he cut a lot of stuff out today reminded me of Woodgate.  I do think his passing is very hit and miss, as is Barton's and Geremi's.  I think a CM who can pass would be my first priority this summer.  Whether that's a DM with good range (Carrick) or a midfield playmaker to push on and score goals (Diego), I think we have to have someone who can pick out good passes on a consistent basis.  Owen and Martins are both excellent at running onto through balls, we just need someone who can thread them.

I'll do what the bloke in your avatar did, strip off, but I'll go one further and show me arse in Fenwicks window, if we sign him.

Who's Fenwick and what did he do to deserve that?

I am, and I had it coming tbh.

Guest battyleespeed

Lot of will depend what will be our main formation next season and who will be the other midfielders. Assuming we don't get any passengers I think Butt could well play one more season. His anticipation and positioning is top class so whatever he lacks in pace he can make up with his reading of game. If the other players do their jobs defensively he has no problem stopping the opposition play, especially if we continue to play three central midfielders. Unless we play 4-4-2 with Keegan-style wingers I think he'll be okay. Rather than Butt its the other midfielders that need to be scrutinized. Barton is a poor midfield partner for Butt as he is way too slow... even slower than Butt himself. Is there even equivalent DM available? Dioup is impressive physically but I'm afraid he isn't as intelligent and leader-type like Butt is.

Who's Fenwick and what did he do to deserve that?

I am, and I had it coming tbh.

Sometime you just have to grin and bear it.

If we need to recruit another DMC (Geremi could play that position too) I reckon we should go for Scott Brown. He's full of enthusiasm and he'd add some movement we've been lacking in the midfield.

We would ideally sign somebody quite tall... at the moment we're a team of midgets and someone who could actually challenge for some of the high balls in midfield would be a facet to consider whilst choosing a new "defensive" (but still capable of attacking) midfielder!

Carrick would be class but very unlikely. We should be hell bent on finding someone simliar from across europe. Alonso esq please.

BTW i actually believe Keegan will stick with Butt next year.

If we need to recruit another DMC (Geremi could play that position too) I reckon we should go for Scott Brown. He's full of enthusiasm and he'd add some movement we've been lacking in the midfield.

Not a bad idea that mind. Move Geremi into DM and sign an attacking midfield player.

Guest Knightrider

HTT, Diop played right wing today (badly).

He may have started there, but in the main he played a similar role to Butt for them and was all over the place in a good way from what I saw. Very good player in my opinion.

He may have started there, but in the main he played a similar role to Butt for them and was all over the place in a good way from what I saw. Very good player in my opinion.

Yes i've always liked Diop, questionable fitness though.

Guest Knightrider

Yes i've always liked Diop, questionable fitness though.

Aye, only bogey with him.

Guest mobiius

A few seem confident Carrick will sign, may I ask why?

His gran is a Geordie apparently.

His brother does or did coach the young uns at the toon, he was born and bred in wallsend so maybe the pull of his hometown might be the the key, iirc he is a self confessed toon supporter. this all may however account for jack but heres to hoping