Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

Over the last few years, our best buys have been of players who were on the way up and ambitious, rather than established players who had already made a name for themselves and therefore cost a fortune. I'm thinking of the likes of Bellamy, Rob Lee and Andy Cole.

Those are the sort of players we should be looking for, and to that extent I'd agree with what Mort is saying. The big names often don't represent good value.

In some ways i agree with Ne5 sentiment. I believe we have lost our ambition in recent years and seem to have forgotten what a bit of investment and good management can do for your fortunes. I always compare this to when Bobby came in. We'd almost all but lost our faith in the club getting anywhere near the top of the table again.

Then all of a sudden, we had faith in our manager. His good management and the investment he was given propelled us into the top four. At a time when people claimed that the top four had a monopoly on the league (maybe not quite as much as now addmittedly).

Again we have a manager who we would trust wholeheartedly. I'd bet my house the if Keegan was given 100m on five top class players we would be challenging for the top four. That might sound crazy but it isn't, we just seem to have forgotten what we are capable of.

The question is whether we will fork out that money or whether we are wanting to do it over a period of a few years and build a squad like nearly every other club in the league are doing. I'd much prefer the club to splash the cash, mainly because i trust Keegan. However, i could completely understand why we wouldn't go down that route.

where would investment and bad managemnet get you ?

Whats that got to do with anything?

Keegan IMO (and Morts clearly) is a good manager, therefore should be backed.

There's two options, you either trust a manager or you don't.

If you do, you back him. If you don't you sack him.

However, of course, there are variables on how much you can afford to back him.

backed with debt (can we get credit in todays environment and on what terms) or with what we generate ?

I'm not quite sure what your getting at TBH.

Obviously there is a question mark on whether the owner is prepared to through his money at it Abrahmovich style (which we can't really expect). If he does then what i've said applies.

If not then they can only back KK with the money they have, but they should back him.

In some ways i agree with Ne5 sentiment. I believe we have lost our ambition in recent years and seem to have forgotten what a bit of investment and good management can do for your fortunes. I always compare this to when Bobby came in. We'd almost all but lost our faith in the club getting anywhere near the top of the table again.

Then all of a sudden, we had faith in our manager. His good management and the investment he was given propelled us into the top four. At a time when people claimed that the top four had a monopoly on the league (maybe not quite as much as now addmittedly).

Again we have a manager who we would trust wholeheartedly. I'd bet my house the if Keegan was given 100m on five top class players we would be challenging for the top four. That might sound crazy but it isn't, we just seem to have forgotten what we are capable of.

The question is whether we will fork out that money or whether we are wanting to do it over a period of a few years and build a squad like nearly every other club in the league are doing. I'd much prefer the club to splash the cash, mainly because i trust Keegan. However, i could completely understand why we wouldn't go down that route.

So we give Keegan a huge lump of money and he manages to get us into the Champions League, what happens when we need new players next year? Or the year after considering we've just gave him a huge transfer budget in one go instead of spreading it out over a few years, we'd have to watch the club slowly slip back where everyone else catches us up before overtaking us.

We've had seasons in the past where we've 'kept our powder dry' and we've been overtaken by others.

Unless of course you're saying you want the club to give Keegan £100 million in the Summer and money every transfer window to keep us there? Well I'm sure every club outside the top 4 wants that but it's unreasonable to expect it.

You can't tell me that they've got where they are today without any planning or strategy. They've punched above their weight for years and it's only really since the Stadium move that they have been confirmed as a genuine big hitter

FACT:Arseanl have always been a genuine big hitter.

They have not won anything since moving & have not broke there transfer record since moving either, so I am not sure how you can write they genuine big hitters since the move.

You telling me they were a big hitter under Bruce Rioch, with crowds of less than 30k?

Financially, they've not been able to compete with Man Utd etc and hence the reason for the stadium move.

Now they are a top four club in more ways than one. They weren't before imo.

I am telling you Arsenal have always been a big club in the Premier League or pre-premier league. Bruce Rioch/Arsenal managed to sign Dennis Bergkamp from Inter. Bruce Rioch showed Wegner the way in signing talented players (Henry & Vieria) who didnt settle in Italy O0.

They still cant compete with Man Utd.

They are flying higher in the attendance league & turnover league but on the sporting side they havent won anything since the move.

Also why does Keegan have to follow a Wegner type buying policy dont you trust him to go out & spend the cash?  Keegan has just as good as eye for players than Wegner.

indeed, who isn't impatient for success ?

Some people also can't recognise how important it is to back managers too, in spite of the abysmal summer last year

I think everybody recognises the importance of backing the manager, as long as it's the right manager.  Just because some people don't think pissing good money after bad is not the way to go doesn't mean giving a good manager money is a bad idea.

well, we've done better than most clubs bar 4 so must have done better than most in that respect. Shouldn't really be necessary to repeat that again too, but you raised this angle on it again

that is absolutely spot on. The thing is though, the manager is appointed by the board, not you or me, but the board. So they trust him, whether you me or anyone else doesn't is a different matter entirely. There were plenty of people saying the club should have backed Souness, did that mean they trusted him ?

that is absolutely spot on. The thing is though, the manager is appointed by the board, not you or me, but the board. So they trust him, whether you me or anyone else doesn't is a different matter entirely. There were plenty of people saying the club should have backed Souness, did that mean they trusted him ?

There were plenty wanting the board to throw money at Allardyce in January even though he was a disaster, did they trust him too?

You can't tell me that they've got where they are today without any planning or strategy. They've punched above their weight for years and it's only really since the Stadium move that they have been confirmed as a genuine big hitter

FACT:Arseanl have always been a genuine big hitter.

They have not won anything since moving & have not broke there transfer record since moving either, so I am not sure how you can write they genuine big hitters since the move.

You telling me they were a big hitter under Bruce Rioch, with crowds of less than 30k?

Financially, they've not been able to compete with Man Utd etc and hence the reason for the stadium move.

Now they are a top four club in more ways than one. They weren't before imo.

I am telling you Arsenal have always been a big club in the Premier League or pre-premier league. Bruce Rioch/Arsenal managed to sign Dennis Bergkamp from Inter. Bruce Rioch showed Wegner the way in signing talented players (Henry & Vieria) who didnt settle in Italy O0.

They still cant compete with Man Utd.

They are flying higher in the attendance league & turnover league but on the sporting side they havent won anything since the move.

Also why does Keegan have to follow a Wegner type buying policy dont you trust him to go out & spend the cash?  Keegan has just as good as eye for players than Wegner.

Are you telling me that Wengers success in the transfer market is down to Bruce Rioch, his predecessor? ;D ;D ;D

They have competed against Man Utd far better than we have over the last 5 years and have done bloody well this year when you think of the investment Man Utd made last summer in comparison.

BTW, on the big hitter thing. The ground move has ensured that they can compete better than they've ever been able to before, due to greater turnover etc. Now they are a big hitter imo, before they were punching above their weight and that was mainly thanks to Wenger and his ability to spot a player, bed him into the first team and flog on for a profit. I dare say, they wouldn't have to sell now - before they probably did.

I've never said Keegan needs to follow Wenger in terms of who he buys - I do trust Keegan to buy well. I did comment about setting the club up for sustainable success though.

Are you telling me that Wengers success in the transfer market is down to Bruce Rioch, his predecessor? ;D ;D ;D

They have competed against Man Utd far better than we have over the last 5 years and have done bloody well this year when you think of the investment Man Utd made last summer in comparison.

BTW, on the big hitter thing. The ground move has ensured that they can compete better than they've ever been able to before, due to greater turnover etc. Now they are a big hitter imo, before they were punching above their weight and that was mainly thanks to Wenger and his ability to spot a player, bed him into the first team and flog on for a profit. I dare say, they wouldn't have to sell now - before they probably did.

I did comment about setting the club up for sustainable success though.

Oh my you cant even spot a tongue in cheek remark.

It is not Man Utd fault if the Arsenal board dont trust Wegner to splash out big on a player or Wegner has doubts about signing big after the limted success of big buys like Jeffers, Reyes & Wiltord.

Arsene Wegner has not made Arsenal a big club or made them punch above there weight as they have always been a big club, there history tells you this.

As Man Utd/Sir Alex are the most successful club in the Premier League history I guess what they do is the best way towards sustainable success.

It is not Man Utd fault if the Arsenal board dont trust Wegner to splash out big on a player or Wegner has doubts about signing big after the limted success of big buys like Jeffers, Reyes & Wiltord.

Arsene Wegner has not made Arsenal a big club or made them punch above there weight as they have always been a big club, there history tells you this.

As Man Utd/Sir Alex are the most successful club in the Premier League history I guess what they do is the best way towards sustainable success.

indeed. Their current attacking strength has cost them around 80m quid ie Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Saha not to mention Carrick, Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson to back them up. Must be over 100m and just to show even the best managers drop a huge clanger, Veron.

Still, I'm sure that Chris Mort has a better way. Maybe he thinks that manu aren't buying these players to appease their fans and keep them happy and rolling through the gates ?

Also add the best team we have seen at Newcastle in living memory, which almost won the title, and almost the entire team was bought some of them big buys, the biggest of the time. And topped off with the worlds most expensive player, which nobody turned their nose up at and would undoubtedly gone on to do the trick had it not been for the manager leaving the club.

You can't get much more proof than this, its just amazing the people in this thread who have defended the prudent method.

Lets put it this way, it ONLY works if you have a one off able to make it work like Wenger.

indeed. Their current attacking strength has cost them around 80m quid ie Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Saha not to mention Carrick, Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson to back them up. Must be over 100m and just to show even the best managers drop a huge clanger, Veron.

Still, I'm sure that Chris Mort has a better way.

Also add the best team we have seen at Newcastle in living memory, which almost won the title, and almost the entire team was bought some of them big buys, the biggest of the time. And topped off with the worlds most expensive player, which nobody turned their nose up at and would undoubtedly gone on to do the trick had it not been for the manager leaving the club.

You can't get much more proof than this, its just amazing the people in this thread who have defended the prudent method.

Lets put it this way, it ONLY works if you have a one off able to make it work like Wenger.

and the other way only works if you can afford the debt or bring in enough money to finance such spending.

Lets wait & see in the summer.

and the other way only works if you can afford the debt or bring in enough money to finance such spending.

Righto.

Settle for mediocrity then. Hope you don't complain if our best players move elsewhere to clubs that are trying to win things, or players that want to win things sign for other clubs.

If you seriously think we can't behave like Liverpool at least, you are completely missing the point and seriously underselling the club.

Why are you questioning following the path to success that the successful clubs have taken ?

Hopefully you are right, but isn't that what has been happening ?

But even he is being put to the test now as Arsenal are the least successful of the top 4 clubs trophy wise in the last 4 years.

People are pleased that there seems to be a common sense approach to running the club now (you can take that how you like by the way).  Lets wait and see what happens in the summer, instead of writing them off as not knowing what they are doing before they've had the chance to prove you wrong.

This is a massive summer for us (again) & I reckon they'll get it right.

But even he is being put to the test now as Arsenal are the least successful of the top 4 clubs trophy wise in the last 4 years.

he is.

He has said that he doesn't want to win things by buying players, admirable, and even more so that he's managed it.

This tells you everything. The way to success has always needed big money, and if anything its becoming even more so necessary.

People are pleased that there seems to be a common sense approach to running the club now (you can take that how you like by the way).  Lets wait and see what happens in the summer, instead of writing them off as not knowing what they are doing before they've had the chance to prove you wrong.

common sense ?

I know what you are driving at, but I call it unambitious.

If we do well in the transfer market, it will be down to Keegan, just like the last time he was manager.

Still, I'm sure that Chris Mort has a better way. Maybe he thinks that manu aren't buying these players to appease their fans and keep them happy and rolling through the gates ?

Hold on, you mention that we should use the blueprint that Man U use, by spending big on big name players, but you mentined 6 players who arguably classified as the worlds best young talent.

How is that argument applicable to the like of Henry,Deco Kluivert Duff, et al. Players you think we should be signing because the top 4 do as well. Even though they arent.

The big four, whether you like to admit it or not are buying up the biggest young talents in the world just like Wenger is, but they are buying them at more high profile stages.

Im happy that you agree that we should be looking at youth more intensely!

Do you think we'll spend much this summer? How much at a guess?

common sense ?

If we do well in the transfer market, it will be down to Keegan, just like the last time he was manager.

so if keegan spends £100million it will be down t him but when robson spent on bellamy and robert etc it was down to our board ?

oh and where does ambition end and recklessness start ?

common sense ?

I'm saying give them a chance & give them some credit if they do the business, not just say "it will be down to Keegan".  They'll get plenty of stick if they get it wrong, there's no need to do it before they've even had the chance.

common sense ?

so if keegan spends £100million it will be down t him but when robson spent on bellamy and robert etc it was down to our board ?

oh and where does ambition end and recklessness start ?

with good judgement by the manager, which to an extent the board can't control, they just have to back him as their appointment or sack him. You think you've seen mediocrity in recent years ? Well, you haven't. What you've seen is a club aiming for the top places and not succeeding. Real mediocrity is a club happy to drift along in no mans land. Especially when its a club like us who should be punching with the other big boys all the time.

Ruling out the buying of immediate first team players when you are struggling, and operating a  sell to buy " policy, is the policy of the 2nd rate clubs.

well, we've done better than most clubs bar 4 so must have done better than most in that respect. Shouldn't really be necessary to repeat that again too, but you raised this angle on it again

It could have been a lot better, appointing Souness was the most ridiculous appointment I can remember, giving him £50,000,000 to spend was beyond ridiculous, it's bordering on insanity.