Newcastle United 2 - 0 Mackems - 20/04/08 - Post match reaction from page 13

James

The fuck Geremi man. Woeful passing, delivery... big weak link on our side in the first half.

Got to admire the commitment from everyone else though. Faye/Enrique and Beye have been very very good.

I must be watching a different game to you, Geremi has played well IMO, fantastic ball for Owens first goal. I must admit eveyones passing has been sloppy compared to of late.

true one great ball... he was due though ;) other than that he's been terrible in his passing. Good job Butt has been there to clear up behind him.

I don't think we've been as good as we've been in recent weeks, but Sunderland have been disgraceful.

Our passing/retaining possession has been woeful at times, but theirs has been worse and we lead 2-0 so it's all good.

Michael Owens penalty - God he knows how to make us all have heart attacks doesn't he?

Having said that, he's been absolutely sensational in the first half, and I hope to god he gets a well deserved hat-trick. 6 in the last 6 for him, eventually showing us what he can do, and surprise surprise, it's when he gets the service.

Geremi is one of the most frustrating players ever. He does some canny good things, but cancels it out by doing some shocking ones.

Joey Barton and Nicky Butt have patrolled the midfield extremely well, and Abdoulaye Faye has kept Jones in his pocket to date.

Another goal early in the second half would be rather nice.

Well, now the mackems have a penalty decision they can complain about... that should make 'em happy. Could have gone either way for me - don't think there was too much deliberate intent, but he'd raised his arm up as he slid in, so...

We've been a bit wasteful in possession so far, giving it away cheaply too often. Thankfully Sunderland have been absolutely awful and haven't looked remotely able to capitalize on it.

Still, 2 up at halftime!  :celb:

Martins needs to get those balls under control. No chance of a pen on the first shout involving him. Had he maybe managed to control the ball properly ahead of him, then he would have had a solid shout. But no chance the way the ball just fizzled away.

The one that was given Sunderland can have no complaints tbh.

We could really hurt them with long balls over the top to Martins, but he hasn't been playing the cleverly enough.

best player - Owen, been pretty crisp and two goals, also won the pen and a couple of other fouls in dangerous areas. Butt ran the midfield and made some crucial tackles. Martins has really tormented McShane non-stop, expect to see him subbed. Beye was excellent first 20 mins then quietened down. Enrique has been excellent, though he couldve puilled the trigger earlier on that slalom run he made through 2 or 3 mackems.

Viduka has looked off the pace quite badly and struggled to hold the ball up, but showed a nice piece of skill to backheel for Owen's pen. Barton full of blood and guts but not much quality so far. Geremi been very hit and miss, a couple of good deliveries (one assist) but also some nonsensical passes.

back 5 have been fine, can't rememeber mackems doing anything of note really.

Agree with all of that.

Our defence has just looked really calm and composed, looking like a true unit without anyone really standing out, which is awesome.

Owen and Enrique have to be our best players though. Carlos Edwards has been marked out of the game by Enrique, but not only that, Jose's been popping up farther up the field and joining in with the attacks as well.

But, the game has been scrappy and I'd like to see some more movement up front (from Viduka especially) because our midfield doesn't seem to know where to pass to at times.

Saying that, 2-0 motherfuckers! :D

Well, now the mackems have a penalty decision they can complain about... that should make 'em happy. Could have gone either way for me - don't think there was too much deliberate intent, but he'd raised his arm up as he slid in, so...

We've been a bit wasteful in possession so far, giving it away cheaply too often. Thankfully Sunderland have been absolutely awful and haven't looked remotely able to capitalize on it.

Still, 2 up at halftime!  :celb:

I think it was a penalty, for the sole reason that if it didn't hit his hand, Owen would've latched onto his clever chip over the top.

That's what swayed it for me, and probably what swayed it for the referee too.

Guest mobiius

At the start of the season, McShane was apparently a class defender. He's being found out big time.

owen mugged him for the goal just a different class. oba has had his life most of the 1st half. he will either get sent off or blunder and give us a couple more. oh i forgot the perfectly good og he scored aswell.Man's been exposed as a clown as the rest of the tits supporting him.

We deserve to win and deserve to be 2-0 up, but we could be doing so much better.

Maybe we will settle down in the second half, and start playing football.

We're still playing a zillion times more "carpet" football than under Allardyce.

I reckon Reid is fatter than me. I am paid to sit at a computer he is paid to run around a football pitch. Shocking!

But he gets paid alot more, and therefore he can afford to have a donner kebab and chips for breakfest, lunch and dinner every day of the week. Which it looks like he has been doing.

I reckon Reid is fatter than me. I am paid to sit at a computer he is paid to run around a football pitch. Shocking!

But he gets paid alot more, and therefore he can afford to have a donner kebab and chips for breakfest, lunch and dinner every day of the week. Which it looks like he has been doing.

I don't know why you come to the conclusion that I earn less than a Premiership footballer!

Wish I could afford Kebabs for breakfast :(

Owen is just incredible now he's finally getting the service, well worth the £16 million if he can stay reasonably fit (obviously little niggles here and there are expected of every player.) Butt's been great, defence has been solid, Martins and Viduka doing quite well. Geremi has worried me a few times, but he's been all right. Haha, so happy with the way things are going. :D

Owen for a hat-trick!