Keegan wants a left back.

Baggio

I remember people on this board were clamouring for us to sign Kuyt at the time we were on the lookout for another striker during the Roeder era. People changed their tune quickly not long after

Absolutely, that's because most have had the chance to see how he fairs in the premier league and as a reslut think he's shite.

Would like us to sign either a younger fb than Enrique to back him up, or an older experienced in the Prem player who's willing to rotate with Enrique.

I'd hate for us to sign some world-class LB. I know that sounds daft but wait for my reasoning before jumping all over my back. There's no need for a world-class LB because the marginal benefit of doing so on the pitch wouldn't be that much (because Enrique is good) but the fee that this new LB would command would obviously be huge. Thus, it'd be better off spending the bulk of our budget on players who play in impact positions (CB, CM and CF) because we're not really strong in those positions. Even though the fee would be massive, it'd be justified by the marginal benefit of having these new players in these impact positions on the pitch.

I don't even think we need a striker with good technique like Viduka if we're looking to replace him. We should be looking for someone with more mobility and pace because at least he'd offer us more of an outlet (since Martins is our only one atm) and when we counter-attack, we'll have an extra man to help (since Viduka's almost always too slow to get into the box). If we're sticking with this formation, he doesn't even need to be the most lethal of finishers because we're creating plenty of chances as it is and I expect the new midfield to contribute more in terms of goals.

Not quite sure what the problem would be signing another left back - if he is better than Enrique then he will be very good, if he is similar then its great competition and if he is poorer then he shouldn't be signed.

In utopia we would have competition for all places, god this club has suffered greatly from players getting complacent, I'm not saying Enrique is or would and there are other positions which need more urgent attention but if KK wants to get a decent LB then I say go for it, as long as its not to the detriment of buying in other more important areas.

Bez backs United's flying full-backs

Apr 24 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

JOHN BERESFORD knows better than anybody the role of flying full-backs Habib Beye and Jose Enrique and says they will have been told: “Go and make something happen.”

Beresford’s forays up and down the left flank during Kevin Keegan’s first stint in charge were a real crowd pleaser, with Barry Venison and then Warren Barton also following suit on the opposite flank.

Keegan has switched to a 4-3-3 formation during United’s current six-game unbeaten run, meaning there has been no shortage of forward runs by Beye and Enrique, with the more compact midfield unit of Geremi, Nicky Butt and Joey Barton freeing up much more space out wide.

Chronicle pundit Bez said: “In the last few games I think everybody knows that Habib Beye has been excellent.

“And after the Sunderland game you could really see he realises what a great club he’s playing for, given that he and Steven Taylor were still partying with the fans some time after the final whistle.

“Jose Enrique has also looked good at times, but I think we need to see more from him in that wide area.

“He’s been flying forward but sometimes at the wrong times and he needs to be more confident.

“You’ve got three big hitters up front, but what KK will be telling his full backs is to ‘go and make something happen’.

“He’ll be urging them to get involved, and a good full-back will have the right energy levels to make as many runs forward and overlap as much as possible.

“By doing that you are making the opposition have to change their formation to try to deal with the extra pressure, and it certainly does make an impact.”

Indeed Beresford’s contributions in a black-and-white shirt often led to assists out wide, and the nippy little full-back also earned his fair share of goals in Toon.

He added: “I hope to see more of it from Beye and Enrique

“I think Beye bombs forward a lot more naturally than Enrique.

“He almost does Geremi’s pushing forward for him and he has been dropping back.

“But it’s been different on the other side.

“I know that if I was coach I would be screaming at Enrique to push up, and I’d want to see him going past his man in front of him.

“It won’t create something every time, but it causes havoc for the opposition when they’ve already got enough to worry about dealing with three strikers.

“Enrique had the freedom of the city on the left against Sunderland and he didn’t take it.

“But he’s learning all of the time as he is still a young lad in a tough league.”

Meanwhile, Keegan’s pledge to have cover in every position doesn’t surprise Bez in the slightest.

He added: “When I was a player at Newcastle I was always on my toes.

“Kevin will be keen to go out and buy players to cover and he’ll almost certainly buy another left-back.”

Beresford was famously substituted in the first half of a 1-0 win over Aston Villa after a row over David Ginola shirking his defensive duties.

Beresford says: “When I was there I had Robbie Elliott breathing down my neck and I knew I had to be on top of my game.

“We didn’t have a big squad but there was quality cover in it.

“It was the same for Barry Venison and Warren Barton – they had to battle it out with Steve Watson on the right.

“But it’s all great for competition for places and nobody can be complacent.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/04/24/bez-backs-united-s-flying-full-backs-72703-20812500/

Not quite sure what the problem would be signing another left back - if he is better than Enrique then he will be very good, if he is similar then its great competition and if he is poorer then he shouldn't be signed.

In utopia we would have competition for all places, god this club has suffered greatly from players getting complacent, I'm not saying Enrique is or would and there are other positions which need more urgent attention but if KK wants to get a decent LB then I say go for it, as long as its not to the detriment of buying in other more important areas.

It's the bolded bit I'd be concerned about. We signed Duff and played him ahead of N'Zogbia on account of reputation rather than ability. I'd be worried if we signed the likes of Riise for that reason only. By all means sign someone better if possible. Just make sure he is as good or better first.

Guest Harry-Norway

Dont go for Riise please,he is a big joke both in Pool and national team,i know because i`ve seen him and Gamst playing for Norway

NO-WAY

NO WAY, or fill in the blanks with an R, NORWAY?

I think we will be looking for someone experienced like Riise, Enrique needs the competition, we need someone that can slot right in when called upon, like someone said, there is no point buying anyone worse than what we have.

Enrique has alot to learn and time in his career left to learn it, for some games, maybe most we cant afford to have him learning on the pitch when we need him leading. An experienced head that doesnt mind fighting it out with Enrique would be good.

Whilst Riise would be far from first choice for me, someone of his versatility would be great.

I think we will be looking for someone experienced like Riise, Enrique needs the competition, we need someone that can slot right in when called upon, like someone said, there is no point buying anyone worse than what we have.

Enrique has alot to learn and time in his career left to learn it, for some games, maybe most we cant afford to have him learning on the pitch when we need him leading. An experienced head that doesnt mind fighting it out with Enrique would be good.

Whilst Riise would be far from first choice for me, someone of his versatility would be great.

Agree but Riise will likely be expecting first team football ALL the time.

Guest teepee

i'd much rather that we bring in either a versatile player to cover at left back, or possibly a youngster.

i really would like to see enrique for another full season as our first choice left back

Contradiction there, Riise is worse than Enrique and N'Zogbia, Barton, anyone we play on the left side of midfield.

It's the bolded bit I'd be concerned about. We signed Duff and played him ahead of N'Zogbia on account of reputation rather than ability. I'd be worried if we signed the likes of Riise for that reason only. By all means sign someone better if possible. Just make sure he is as good or better first.

Good point

I would also like enrique to flourish with more games under his belt. i was sceptical at first because he seemed a bit slow off the mark and was making too many mistakes but the difference a bit of confidence has made is fantastic.

I think someone to cover both centre back and left back would be good for us and Enrique (extra impetus from competition), decent premier league player would do.

Still think that a world class centre back is needed, creative midfielder, left winger (bye bye charlie) and a striker to replace Viduka (but with a tad more pace?).

Those are my predictions for Keegans signings (helps when we know he wants to sign Luka/Henry & co.)this summer :)

To be fair to Enrique, with only Capdevilla and Antonio Lopez infront of him (as far as i am aware) as the main two Spanish national team left backs, if he keeps on improving there is no reason why he can't break into the Spain full squads

As long as Olivers not bull-shitting (see what i did there), then these are postive comments regarding the left back spot.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=heat-is-on-for-ace-jose-enrique%26method=full%26objectid=20799495%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Seems like KK, is just worried about depth, as apposed to not rating Enrique.

FFS, fuck me sideways! Will the Riise link just stop already? I get so nervous everytime his name is mentioned. i wouldn't touch him with a broomstick. Maybe slap him with it a few times if needed, but that's all.

When that's said, another thing bugging me is why left back is such a big issue. We only have one real right back as well, and he is getting on age wise as well. Why isn't another right back as big a issue as left back?

Personally, I don't think fb is a big priority position.

As long as Olivers not bull-shitting (see what i did there), then these are postive comments regarding the left back spot.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=heat-is-on-for-ace-jose-enrique%26method=full%26objectid=20799495%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

FFS, fuck me sideways! Will the Riise link just stop already? I get so nervous everytime his name is mentioned. i wouldn't touch him with a broomstick. Maybe slap him with it a few times if needed, but that's all.

When that's said, another thing bugging me is why left back is such a big issue. We only have one real right back as well, and he is getting on age wise as well. Why isn't another right back as big a issue as left back?

Because we have Geremi, Taylor, Faye who could all play there. Not just that they can play there but they are experiaced enough or in some case have played there before.

Take away Zoggy and we only have Edgar as back up for Enrique and he's just a bairn.

Because we have Geremi, Taylor, Faye who could all play there. Not just that they can play there but they are experiaced enough or in some case have played there before.

Take away Zoggy and we only have Edgar as back up for Enrique and he's just a bairn.

I don't think I've ever seen Faye play right back, seen Taylor at left back a few times.

I'd say the reason we haven't been linked with a right back is because Carr is still under contract and Keegan is trying to keep every one's spirits in the camp up until the season is over.