Keegan wants a left back.

Baggio

Even before his comical own goal Riise looked pedestrian at best. He looks slow these days and was walking around most of the time, committing the odd foul at the slightest hint of danger. Enrique is leagues ahead of this tub of nordic lard. He doesn't even look good back up material.

Even before his comical own goal Riise looked pedestrian at best. He looks slow these days and was walking around most of the time, committing the odd foul at the slightest hint of danger. Enrique is leagues ahead of this tub of nordic lard. He doesn't even look good back up material.

My dad was saying when he came on; "I wouldn't mind Riise in Newcastle, to be honest". I quickly pointed it out to him that he's slow, can't defend, isn't better than Enrique at anything except shooting, would cost a lot and has had his best years. He'd be Babayaro mk2 if he came here.

We simply have to sign the best left-back we can possibly get. Might sound blindingly obvious, but surely that's the only real way to progress? There's no room for sentiment, as we keep getting told. Enrique has been good, very good at times, but he's hardly Roberto Carlos.

Whoever is Keegan's first choice should be the player we sign, if you get what I mean, all we can do is trust his judgement.

The own goal could be a blessing in disguise. If there was ever any hint of truth in this transfer rumour, it would be Steve Carr all over again.

i was about to say Damien Duff

I dunno, Duff showed a few glimpses of what he can do on Sunday. If Risse came, I wouldn't expect anything at all from him, he's past it.

We simply have to sign the best left-back we can possibly get. Might sound blindingly obvious, but surely that's the only real way to progress? There's no room for sentiment, as we keep getting told. Enrique has been good, very good at times, but he's hardly Roberto Carlos.

Whoever is Keegan's first choice should be the player we sign, if you get what I mean, all we can do is trust his judgement.

That's what I think.

There seems to be a lot of people worried about Enrique ending up like N'Zogbia if we bring in someone better.

I don't consider left-back a priority position to strengthen mind, not in the first team anyways, other areas that need looking at first. But if there's a player who can come in and is superior to what we've got, you'd be mad not to bring him in.

I'd agree with reservations. I have no problem with signing a better left back, but a big name doesn't guarantee that. Keegan's record in the transfer market will stand up to most but he does tend to go on reputation sometimes. Robbie Fowler's signing at City being one example.

I'd rather we put most of our effort into areas away from the defence, the defence is good enough so I wouldn't be bothered if we paid less attention to defence than anywhere else.  We do need cover for enrique but other areas being strengthened will do more for the team, I wouldn't mind seeing Edgar being used as cover for Enrique.

I'd agree with reservations. I have no problem with signing a better left back, but a big name doesn't guarantee that. Keegan's record in the transfer market will stand up to most but he does tend to go on reputation sometimes. Robbie Fowler's signing at City being one example.

Exactly, but I wasn't talking about a "big name". It could be somebody that Wise/Vetere have unearthed who is the bees knees.

We'll see what happens, but like everything else, it's out of our hands and all we can do is hope for the best.

I don't consider left-back a priority position to strengthen mind, not in the first team anyways, other areas that need looking at first. But if there's a player who can come in and is superior to what we've got, you'd be mad not to bring him in.

I'll go along with that. 

I'll go along with that. 

Depends on the price.

If we could get Cole then aye, i'd go for it. Shorey, Riise, Bridge for me all have enough weaknesses in their games for us not to bother with them.

Its going to be of canny standard imo to better Enrique who's been spot on for a long time now.

Exactly, but I wasn't talking about a "big name". It could be somebody that Wise/Vetere have unearthed who is the bees knees.

We'll see what happens, but like everything else, it's out of our hands and all we can do is hope for the best.

That would be the ideal scenario for me. An understudy who could press Enrique for a first team place or provide a more attacking alternative if required. Defensively, I think Enrique is the business already, more of a Maldini than a Beresford. Huge potential imo.

Depends on the price.

If we could get Cole then aye, i'd go for it. Shorey, Riise, Bridge for me all have enough weaknesses in their games for us not to bother with them.

Its going to be of canny standard imo to better Enrique who's been spot on for a long time now.

I'd also go along with that, I wouldn't mind seeing a kid as cover, somebody to develop but not under pressure to walk straight into the team but happy to get a few games to learn and gain experience.  The thing is, we've got more bodies scouting than I can ever remember so we shouldn't be as limited for targets or limited to players from a small area.

Edit.

I'm not referring to pygmies.

Depends on the price.

I'd also go along with that, I wouldn't mind seeing a kid as cover, somebody to develop but not under pressure to walk straight into the team but happy to get a few games to learn and gain experience.  The thing is, we've got more bodies scouting than I can ever remember so we shouldn't be as limited for targets or limited to players from a small area.

Didn't Keegan say even though he's got a good scouting set up he wants proven Premiership players that won't need time to settle?

Depends on the price.

Didn't Keegan say even though he's got a good scouting set up he wants proven Premiership players that won't need time to settle?

That's fine as long as he's not talking about Riise. Even coming off the bench the fat cunt is a liability.

We've changed since he made those comments, we're playing much better and we're probably after fewer players than we were a couple of months ago, I think it will now be easier for players to settle in as we're no longer struggling.

We've changed since he made those comments, we're playing much better and we're probably after fewer players than we were a couple of months ago, I think it will now be easier for players to settle in as we're no longer struggling.

He said this about 3 weeks ago when he was talking about bringing in 3 or 4 new players coming in and a couple of young lads to bring through.

He said this about 3 weeks ago when he was talking about bringing in 3 or 4 new players coming in and a couple of young lads to bring through.

I missed that, I remember him saying the same early on after his return.

I missed that, I remember him saying the same early on after his return.

same here. in January he mentioned something about needing players who can fit right into the side and make an immediate impact. he mentioned Henry as someone who took 6 months to settle and that wasn't what we needed. i presume he was talking about the very short-term ie till the end of the season to avoid relegation. in the summer i'd hope he takes a more long-term approach. The Thierry Henry case is a great example of those first 6 months of adjustment being worth it in the long run.

it is my one remaining fear about Keegan, kind of linked to him being out the game for 3 years, that he'll buy names. 27-28 year old and over british/well known players with big reputations and big wages who are on the way down, it would be Carr, Babayaro, Smith, Duff, Butt, Kluivert etc all over again. i don't think he will tbh, he's too good to fall into that trap. but it is a niggling fear more than anything.

Honestly if we sign Wayne Bridge i'll be gutted, N'Zogbia mk II for Enrique.