Keegan interview

Baggio

I don't see it that way at all. Centrepaddock is a perfect example of the relationship Keegan has with the fans up here, especially some of the older generation. If Keegan can influence grown men like that, it just shows how unique he actually is and how revered he always will be up here.

You're right about the way the older generation feel about Keegan.  He was twice European player of the year and captain of England yet he came to our shitty club to finish his playing career.  He was possibly not the player he was in his prime but he gave us 110% when he could have been looking to take it easy, that 110% has been maintained both times he’s been here as manager.  He did anything but take it easy, he put everything into those 2 seasons and lifted this club from a club that was going nowhere to a club that could once again return to the top league, we gave him a testimonial and he gave the cash raised from the full house against Liverpool to the club, he did that for us, the fans.

He came back as manager when we were probably at our lowest ever and according to some, could have gone out of business.  He didn't only match what he did as a player, he pissed all over what he had done before.  He left us with the 2nd best team in the Premiership, I doubt anybody could have guessed what he would do here as manager.

I couldn't give a shit what happen this time, Keegan will never be seen as a failure at this club, the bloke bleeds black and white as much as any of us, possibly more so considering we turn up once or twice a week, it's his life.  This nutty club and nutty manager were made for each other and I don't know how that happened, nor do I care.

Brilliantly put Mick

I don't see it that way at all. Centrepaddock is a perfect example of the relationship Keegan has with the fans up here, especially some of the older generation. If Keegan can influence grown men like that, it just shows how unique he actually is and how revered he always will be up here.

You're right about the way the older generation feel about Keegan.  He was twice European player of the year and captain of England yet he came to our shitty club to finish his playing career.  He was possibly not the player he was in his prime but he gave us 110% when he could have been looking to take it easy, that 110% has been maintained both times he’s been here as manager.  He did anything but take it easy, he put everything into those 2 seasons and lifted this club from a club that was going nowhere to a club that could once again return to the top league, we gave him a testimonial and he gave the cash raised from the full house against Liverpool to the club, he did that for us, the fans.

He came back as manager when we were probably at our lowest ever and according to some, could have gone out of business.  He didn't only match what he did as a player, he pissed all over what he had done before.  He left us with the 2nd best team in the Premiership, I doubt anybody could have guessed what he would do here as manager.

I couldn't give a shit what happen this time, Keegan will never be seen as a failure at this club, the bloke bleeds black and white as much as any of us, possibly more so considering we turn up once or twice a week, it's his life.  This nutty club and nutty manager were made for each other and I don't know how that happened, nor do I care.

Gorgeous stuff. :nods:

:lol:

I said weeks and weeks and weeks ago I'd just like to see mathematical confirmation. Never thought we'd go down but I've always been someone who likes to remove all possibilities when it came to something like that. You never know with football. I'll admit I might be more pessimistic than most but I guess thats just to counteract the inevitable disappointment I get when we don't achieve what I thought we might. I'm optimistic for our future as it stands, long as we get the right players in during the summer, and I really wish the season wasn't so close to ending now.

A few weeks ago I couldn't wait for the season to finish and would have been happy to see it ended at any time during the last 8 weeks, now I can't wait for next season.

Yup, same here. Indeed I really can't wait for Monday, even though for us its a bit of a meaningless game. I'm sure we'll put in a solid, worthy performance regardless.

There was a time not too long ago when I have to say I dreaded the next game coming, particularly the ones against the likes of Man Utd when I knew deep down given how badly we were playing back then and how short on confidence we were that we'd likely (and did) receive a thrashing.

The feeling about next games is spot on. Can't wait for the next game these days.

Oh, and I'm back to shitting myself for 90mins every time too. :lol: Because I care much more now, whereas I was getting really apathetic.

You're right about the way the older generation feel about Keegan.  He was twice European player of the year and captain of England yet he came to our shitty club to finish his playing career.  He was possibly not the player he was in his prime but he gave us 110% when he could have been looking to take it easy, that 110% has been maintained both times hes been here as manager.  He did anything but take it easy, he put everything into those 2 seasons and lifted this club from a club that was going nowhere to a club that could once again return to the top league, we gave him a testimonial and he gave the cash raised from the full house against Liverpool to the club, he did that for us, the fans.

Brilliantly put Mick

Aye *sniff* *sniff*

Brilliantly put Mick

I could have rambled but I didn't.

I actually met him when he was here as a player.  I was in awe of the bloke and was worried that I wouldn't know what to say to him but within a fraction of a second he'd put me at ease and it was if he was my best mate who I had known all of my life.  We were talking for probably 5 minutes but it felt as if it went on for hours in some respects but in others if felt like it was over in a flash, I still can't work that one out.   :idiot2:

He is a fantasy type of character, his love for us and the game in general is just so genuine. Some of my greatest memories are just going to see the training back up at Durham, that was just absolutely glorious.

He is a fantasy type of character, his love for us and the game in general is just so genuine. Some of my greatest memories are just going to see the training back up at Durham, that was just absolutely glorious.

If you could make a perfect manager for us you would probably come up with Keegan except he'd go one stage further than he has in the past and bring us a trophy.

If you could make a perfect manager for us you would probably come up with Keegan except he'd go one stage further than he has in the past and bring us a trophy.

That speech on the day we paraded the trophy in '93.  :weep:

I really dont care about the silver pot at the end, Its the journey with KK driving that I am looking forward to

I really dont care about the silver pot at the end, Its the journey with KK driving that I am looking forward to

I'm selfish when it comes to football but I'd love us to win something for him more than I'd want us to win something for me, I felt the same way about Bobby, I think they both wanted to win something more than I did as I was just happy with the football we played.  In years to come it will be how they are both judged, we see that now with Keegan.

Some people don't rate him as highly because he didn't win anything major.  Keegan needs to win something before he's held in as high regard as some of us hold him, at least Bobby had won things before as manager, and Keegan hasn't, yet.

Guest Knightrider

What people also love about KK is that when he came here as a player, he bought younger players boots and helped pay for a few improvements to our facilities, and when he was manager, the club were that skint they couldn't afford to pay KK's wages or Terry Mac's, so KK paid Terry's wages and told the club to forget about his wages until he kept us up, and if we didn't stay up, not to bother paying him as he wouldn't have deserved any (his words), plus the fact that he also told Sir John Hall that if he ever wanted out if we did go down, that KK would buy his share of the club off him or go halfers and run it all for him. That's how dedicated KK was, how much he loves this club and what it all means to him. He's very much one of us, his passion, commitment and love affair with NUFC is as strong as any supporter's and that's what makes him special and just why this club will always be in good hands under his control. As we all know KK is a passionate footballing man, before he joined us, he was disillusioned with the game and wanted to end his career somewhere where it was all about the football, and he found it here at Newcastle, and that meant a lot to him.

Everytime I see KK on the telly or reading one of his interviews, or seeing him in the dug out, the phrase that best describes my feeling is pride. Love the man.

Guest Knightrider

Btw I always thought, and mentioned it on here whenever the conversation turned towards KK, that he was a lost soul at Man City and it was very sad seeing him like that. It didn't surprise me he wanted out. Only NUFC I reckon could get him back in the game and just as well, because it needs people like him who simply love the game for what it's all about - the football. His return has ignited the hearts of a new generation here at Newcastle who because of him, just like me and others on here, will grow to love football with all their heart. I see it every week, at junior football for example, it was "spot the Toon shirt", now it's fucking hell, you can't escape them. The other week, indoor football, 22 kids were all wearing Toon tops, home tops, away tops, training gear, old strips, the newest one etc., not one single kid without a Toon top. I pointed to my brother in law, that's KK's doing that. Now I travel all over the UK and you just don't see this in other towns and cities, such a strong identity with football. Obviously NUFC being such a dominant force here in the city helps, but I'm sure others have noticed over the years, more and more none Toon tops were cropping up on our kids and even adults, or disappearing, not today though. Again, that's KK's doing. My mate works at the box office, Chelsea sold out last week. Before KK arrived they couldn't give them away hours before kick-off. The whole city is buzzing. And we haven't achieved anything yet, not a sausage. It's gonna be pandemonium if it all takes off again, which it will in my opinion because the two are perfect for each other.

it wasn't citeh that done him in it was the england job and for all he's looks better than he was then he still doesn't seem like the keegan of his first term here he does seem like he is on the way back. good for each other it seems.

Guest Knightrider

it wasn't citeh that done him in it was the england job and for all he's looks better than he was then he still doesn't seem like the keegan of his first term here he does seem like he is on the way back. good for each other it seems.

It was neither in my opinion, it was not landing the title for us that done him in, the England thing just confounded it. He's clearly not the same person as he was when he was first here, I agree with that, but importantly the spark is still there, it just doesn't flicker wildly as it used to do which I believe is good because a more centred KK thinking with clarity and logic is what the club needs right at this moment in time, but it's in him and that's good enough for me. And you just know as the club develops, that spark will flicker more and more. It's quite an amazing relationship as manager-club goes, isn't it. It stretches way beyond the rules of employment and even loyalty. I think with KK it's an obsession, a true love affair, like it is with all of us.

• 5 weeks later...

Did the Inside Sport interview get posted when Keegan got the job?

Search for "Inside Keegan" on youtube.

"What would drag you back to the game?"

"Nothing"

Wonder what changed.

He says the same stuff about the impossibility of breaking into the top 4 too, 6 months before the papers hammered him for it.

Most interesting of all is the stuff near the end of the vid about Allardyce getting a director of football.

"You'd be a fool to let it happen".

Did this get posted when Keegan got the job?

"Nothing"

Wonder what changed.

He says the same stuff about the impossibility of breaking into the top 4 too, 6 months before the papers hammered him for it.

Most interesting of all is the stuff near the end of the vid about Allardyce getting a director of football.

You might want to take that video off, copyrighted you see :)

"Nothing"

Wonder what changed.

I'll take it down, but it's soft as shite on here.  Why not just wait until you're asked to remove stuff, then do it?  Never known a forum that's so uptight.

Are you seriously not getting my point or just looking for an argument?

I think I misunderstood you.

"Director" is an all encompassing term.  It's a title given to someone who oversees all aspects.  Like a film director, he's not responsible for any one thing, but for sealing the deal on what everyone else is doing in their specific roles.

I'm not sure if your problem is Wise being given that title, or anyone at any club.  I thought the former, but it seems you meant the latter.

Personally I think it's a clearly defined role, but undermines the man who should do that job, the manager.

"Nothing"

Wonder what changed.

I'll take it down, but it's soft as s**** on here.  Why not just wait until you're asked to remove stuff, then do it?  Never known a forum that's so uptight.

It's the law mate, we're just trying to comply with it :)

"Nothing"

Wonder what changed.

I'll take it down, but it's soft as s**** on here.  Why not just wait until you're asked to remove stuff, then do it?  Never known a forum that's so uptight.

It's the law mate, we're just trying to comply with it :)

I don't want to get into a whole thing unrelated to football, but no-one's going to get banged up here, there's a small chance you'll get a polite mail informing you one of your members has posted copyrighted material and requesting you to remove it.  It's almost inconceivable though, if that request was ever made, it would go to youtube, who'd remove it at the source.

Are you seriously not getting my point or just looking for an argument?

I think I misunderstood you.

"Director" is an all encompassing term.  It's a title given to someone who oversees all aspects.  Like a film director, he's not responsible for any one thing, but for sealing the deal on what everyone else is doing in their specific roles.

I'm not sure if your problem is Wise being given that title, or anyone at any club.  I thought the former, but it seems you meant the latter.

Personally I think it's a clearly defined role, but undermines the man who should do that job, the manager.

My point is it isn't a clearly defined role, I think you're taking it to literally, its an executive title..  When Keegan said Allardyce would be mad to allow a Director of Football he'll have had an idea in his head of what a Director of Football is.  The fact that Wise has the title of Executive Director of Football doesn't mean his role fits what Keegan had in mind in the slightest.