Richard Dunne staying at Citeh

jimmymag

Steve Claridge was on Setanta last night and said he spoke to Redknapp yesterday and was told the only clubs in for him were Spurs, Blackburn and Portsmouth.

I'd heard that, at the time that Keegan left Man City, a lot of senior players were rather pissed off with him and weren't sorry to see him go. A lot of people assume that players like Dunne would be eager to be reunited with Keegan, but I'm wouldn't be confident of that.

Steve Claridge was on Setanta last night and said he spoke to Redknapp yesterday and was told the only clubs in for him were Spurs, Blackburn and Portsmouth.

I'd heard that, at the time that Keegan left Man City, a lot of senior players were rather pissed off with him and weren't sorry to see him go. A lot of people assume that players like Dunne would be eager to be reunited with Keegan, but I'm wouldn't be confident of that.

pissed off why?

pissed off why?

The training was boring and old-fashioned. Keegan had lost his spark and was a rather non-inspirational presence.

Allegedly.

pissed off why?

The training was boring and old-fashioned. Keegan had lost his spark and was a rather non-inspirational presence.

Allegedly.

Aye, i heard that oo, i heard they had a cruel nickname for him too but cant remeber what it was.

pissed off why?

Allegedly.

Pearce came in after KK left and changed their fortunes, in the same manner that Roeder did with Souness here. I remember loads of people on this board saying we should go after Pearce, there was even talk of him becoming England boss. But he later went on to prove he's not up to it.

The KK at Man City worries me, if I'm honest. I was delighted he'd returned and after the poor start, over the moon the way he got the players playing again. But the events since the Chelsea game have me a little apprehensive that, we could see Man City's KK rather than our own KK.

Guest MaetihS

lol we are a very deluded bunch aren't we.

We haven't finished in the top 6 for some years and haven't done it back-to-back since about 2003/4. Finished in the lower half of the league more often than not in the last 5 years.

In the last 5 years we've been through about 5 managers.

Portsmouth have been doing well in the league for about 3 years now. Won the FA Cup are in Europe.

Spurs have been getting stronger and stronger for the same time we've been on the decline minus last year. They kept conceding goals last season and went some way to curb that by bringing in 2 good quality defenders. They have a young team and keep adding to it and a manager who is respected and known throughout Europe. Also in Europe this season.

Exactly. Good to hear more and more fans are as realistic as me.

Bet you're a blast in the pub before the match. Well if you'd ever been like.

Oh he's been to plenty, at the stadium of s****.

typical. denial are we?? :doh:

I'm certainly not denial no..  mackems.gif

hope so for your sake from more disappointment :)

When we go through a s*** spell are you happy or sad?

Of course i am down... you would not want to be near me after we lost a match or played crap. But these days i am much calmer after finally acknowledging and recognising the fact that my expectation of the team (we are a top 6 club at least and that we are famous n big club) is simply unrealistic. After seeing the crapness after the Sir Bobby days, I become more and more upset cos i know we have really fallen behind our previous lesser rivals like Everton, Pompey and Spurs. I am perhaps one of the few who predict days of mediorcity when players like Dyer, Bells, Robert left and the retirement of Shearer cos i know these are the best we can have. People rave abt the new coming ins like Duff but i got stick saying we will be in for a relegtion scrap this season but was called names for this view; I was more right.  In any case, my upset turns to reasoning and finally acceptance that if i am not going to get disappointed i must face the truth. So i was delighted with our final position this season and performance in the last few games, even then, i am realistic of my expectation next season if no added quality players are made. Also, i was constantly upset by jokes from mates then, that i think my club is big and has a good squad.

Finally, i understand our standing in the game has fallen and do not expect big names unless they are in twillight of their years whats more now, we are not spending due to wage cost pressures. As such, i face the truth that getting back into Europe and become more famous is at least 5-10 years away cos in simple terms, even if we add 3 or 4 good players this seasons, our rivals are likey to do the same to already superior squads than ours. We can of course do a Chelsea and buy big and pay big, signalling our ambition and thus attract more and better players but this is impossible under the buiness oriented Mike Ashley.

So my expectations has changed to a more realistic one. I am given stick but just as irritated that these fans are deluded and asking for the impossible which will lead to disappointment and a hostile and unhappy crowd which thus lead to pressure on the squad. Would it not be better if we can create a vibrant and more suppotive crowd at St James if we lower our expectations or become more realistic? Would it not be that we wll be happy if we overahieve our realistic expectation and finish in the top 10 rather than moan and swear, creating a unpleasant environment for players and fans alike? I for one, do not expect any rising star/star signings but maybe a few unknowns who perhaps can surprise us, in fact i expect more departures to keep the wage bill down but hopefully that man is not Martins as i feel he is the only few top 6 quality player we have who also seem want to play for us.

So what do you think our overall potential is? Why dont you speak about our club in terms of its potential rather than its current standings?

fact is football is about now and potential is subjective. we have been talking about the same old potential for ages. Totally understable why KK wants better and more experienced players. just look at Chelsea years ago, what potential they have? nought and suddenly bang! they are champs. We are arguably more famous than Chelsea then and have more potenial; we have been talking abt this potential but since then have fallen. Look at Pompey spend big and suddenly they have the FA cup. Football players know that their version of potential is 2-3 years max (am sure Shearer joined us thinking we are to win something in that timeframe) and time again we disppoint and recently get worse, players reaching their peak will most likely join us unless we are the one in the running for his signature. Anyone will agree that we are at least 5 years away from Europe and silverware which by then, new blood has to be brought in as our gems in Martins and Owen (if they stay) will decline as age catches up aka Shearer scenario....looks like a vicious cycle of medoricity. In 5 years time our standing will be even worse if things do not improve and to get players like Martins and Owen will be even tougher. hope i am wrong, hope the board back KK in summer.....

We haven't finished in the top 6 for some years and haven't done it back-to-back since about 2003/4. Finished in the lower half of the league more often than not in the last 5 years.

Portsmouth have been doing well in the league for about 3 years now. Won the FA Cup are in Europe.

Spurs have been getting stronger and stronger for the same time we've been on the decline minus last year. They kept conceding goals last season and went some way to curb that by bringing in 2 good quality defenders. They have a young team and keep adding to it and a manager who is respected and known throughout Europe. Also in Europe this season.

Of course i am down... you would not want to be near me after we lost a match or played crap. But these days i am much calmer after finally acknowledging and recognising the fact that my expectation of the team (we are a top 6 club at least and that we are famous n big club) is simply unrealistic. After seeing the crapness after the Sir Bobby days, I become more and more upset cos i know we have really fallen behind our previous lesser rivals like Everton, Pompey and Spurs. I am perhaps one of the few who predict days of mediorcity when players like Dyer, Bells, Robert left and the retirement of Shearer cos i know these are the best we can have. People rave abt the new coming ins like Duff but i got stick saying we will be in for a relegtion scrap this season but was called names for this view; I was more right.  In any case, my upset turns to reasoning and finally acceptance that if i am not going to get disappointed i must face the truth. So i was delighted with our final position this season and performance in the last few games, even then, i am realistic of my expectation next season if no added quality players are made. Also, i was constantly upset by jokes from mates then, that i think my club is big and has a good squad.

Finally, i understand our standing in the game has fallen and do not expect big names unless they are in twillight of their years whats more now, we are not spending due to wage cost pressures. As such, i face the truth that getting back into Europe and become more famous is at least 5-10 years away cos in simple terms, even if we add 3 or 4 good players this seasons, our rivals are likey to do the same to already superior squads than ours. We can of course do a Chelsea and buy big and pay big, signalling our ambition and thus attract more and better players but this is impossible under the buiness oriented Mike Ashley.

So my expectations has changed to a more realistic one. I am given stick but just as irritated that these fans are deluded and asking for the impossible which will lead to disappointment and a hostile and unhappy crowd which thus lead to pressure on the squad. Would it not be better if we can create a vibrant and more suppotive crowd at St James if we lower our expectations or become more realistic? Would it not be that we wll be happy if we overahieve our realistic expectation and finish in the top 10 rather than moan and swear, creating a unpleasant environment for players and fans alike? I for one, do not expect any rising star/star signings but maybe a few unknowns who perhaps can surprise us, in fact i expect more departures to keep the wage bill down but hopefully that man is not Martins as i feel he is the only few top 6 quality player we have who also seem want to play for us.

So what do you think our overall potential is? Why dont you speak about our club in terms of its potential rather than its current standings?

fact is football is about now and potential is subjective. we have been talking about the same old potential for ages. Totally understable why KK wants better and more experienced players. just look at Chelsea years ago, what potential they have? nought and suddenly bang! they are champs. We are arguably more famous than Chelsea then and have more potenial; we have been talking abt this potential but since then have fallen. Look at Pompey spend big and suddenly they have the FA cup. Football players know that their version of potential is 2-3 years max (am sure Shearer joined us thinking we are to win something in that timeframe) and time again we disppoint and recently get worse, players reaching their peak will most likely join us unless we are the one in the running for his signature. Anyone will agree that we are at least 5 years away from Europe and silverware which by then, new blood has to be brought in as our gems in Martins and Owen (if they stay) will decline as age catches up aka Shearer scenario....looks like a vicious cycle of medoricity. In 5 years time our standing will be even worse if things do not improve and to get players like Martins and Owen will be even tougher. hope i am wrong, hope the board back KK in summer.....

I hope you stop smoking crack this summer.

Guest MaetihS

dun worry, already accepted our current plight ages ago, not expecting any star signings but bargain buys so would not drown my sorrow in smoke or drinks. thanks btw

dun worry, already accepted our current plight ages ago, not expecting any star signings but bargain buys so would not drown my sorrow in smoke or drinks. thanks btw

Why not stop being so defeatist until we sign someone?

I personally think we are all in for a pleasant surprise.

Guest MaetihS

Try living in France where most football fans view us as a midtable club and laughed at me when we are linked to their rising stars in ligue 1.

Try living in France where most football fans view us as a midtable club and laughed at me when we are linked to their rising stars in ligue 1.

Well if the French don't think much of us we'll sign good players from other countries. Just chill out and be patient.

If we sign crappy players and  have a rubbish summer then we can all moan as much as we want then. We've heard what you think and it's all getting a bit repetitive now, so tak eit easy.

Can you not go back to your own club's board. Your wind ups are lame to say the least. You just repeat the same thing over and over and over again, FFS we know you live in France, you are not the only football supporter that doesn't live in Newcastle or even England !!!

pissed off why?

Allegedly.

i'm pretty sure dunne said something along these lines when he left

Keegan turned Dunne around and made him the player he is.

Did he? I think Royle had a large part in it tbh. Bought him from us with what was a high price for an underachieving youngster at the time and gave him regular football.

Guest Heneage

didn't Barton claim that's not what had happened he was swinging for the bloke while Dunne was holding him?

Barton went for a young Everton(?) fan, Dunne held him back then got the hump about the whole thing, kicked a wall and broke his own toe.

Thats how I remember it but my memory does play tricks on me :lol: