The Stamford Bridge scuffle

Dinho lad

http://msn.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3492643,00.html

Manchester United players will reportedly tell club lawyers that Saturday's post-match battle at Stamford Bridge escalated when a member of Chelsea's staff called Patrice Evra a "f***ing immigrant".

The Guardian claims that 'senior sources at Old Trafford confirmed yesterday that one of Evra's associates had informed them the French defender was subjected to what Carlos Tevez described as a "grave insult"'.

The Daily Mail goes further and suggests that 'at least two United players claim they heard the insult' from Chelsea groundsman Sam Bethell, who has denied all accusations of racism.

'Chelsea sources' told the Mail that Bethell called Evra a "f***ing idiot", though they also claim that the comment was only made after the pair had exchanged blows and that Evra himself may not have heard the alleged insult.

The row is thought to have begun when United's players broke a Premier League rule on warm-downs by running across the penalty areas at Stamford Bridge after Saturday's 2-1 defeat by Chelsea.

Their decision to ignore requests not to run across the 18-yard box helped spark a mass scuffle between United's players and Chelsea groundstaff and stewards.

It is understood players can only warm down for a total of 15 minutes after a game and they must keep clear of the penalty areas.

Both Chelsea and United have been asked to supply the Football Association with statements relating to the incident and the players and staff involved could face disciplinary action.

United have already sent a report to the FA, but there is unlikely to be an early conclusion to the investigation as both clubs are involved in Champions League games.

In the meantime, the FA are to continue to seek out all available footage of the incident, which is thought to have been captured by Chelsea's CCTV cameras.

Gary Neville, Evra, Paul Scholes, John O'Shea, Park Ji-Sung and Gerard Pique were asked to run up and down the pitch instead of across it but tempers flared when Neville insisted on their right to warm down and a scuffle broke out.

Evra is alleged to have thrown a punch at the groundsman, who had asked the players to run in the same direction as lawn mowers being used to trim the playing surface.

Typical arrogance by Man U tbh.

Does noone else see the obvious connection between Man Utd losing and them acting like "sore losers". Happens everytime, fergy will make out that the ref cost them the game and his players will kick off like children.

Guest aoliversaknob

Watched the short clip of it played last night on Gabby Logans inside sport show and looked like nowt but footy players twirlling their handbags. Not even a punch in sight!  Typical MANure

It would be interesting to know what he really said. I can't see a member of the Chelsea ground staff targeting Evra for being an ''immigrant''. Although, I would not rule out out a racist remark targeted at Evra based on his skin colour.

Although, I would not rule out out a racist remark targeted at Evra based on his skin colour.

Based on what exactly?

Based on the fact that he's black and the groundsman is white, and all white men are racist.

Seems Gary Neville is to blame. Fucking tool.

Guest BudBud

Although, I would not rule out out a racist remark targeted at Evra based on his skin colour.

Based on what exactly?

Based on the fact that he's black and the groundsman is white, and all white men are racist.

Seems Gary Neville is to blame. f****** tool.

I could see one of them throwing in the race card tbh, It was only a matter of time before they had to justify their actions and make excuses for what was little more than a petty squabble

It would be interesting to know what he really said. I can't see a member of the Chelsea ground staff targeting Evra for being an ''immigrant''. Although, I would not rule out out a racist remark targeted at Evra based on his skin colour.

Not like you to make ill-informed comments.

The race card has been used to shift blame from Evra/Man utd onto Chelsea.

I think the groundsmen are within their rights to tell the players to keep out of the box and to run another direction so as not to funk up the pitch, it's not even their pitch FFS!!

As somebody above said: sore losers (can't stand 'em).

I don't see how we can accept or discount the racial abuse issue yet, as nobody knows what was said... am I missing something?

Exactly, no one on here has a clue.

Guest neesy111

I think the groundsmen are within their rights to tell the players to keep out of the box and to run another direction so as not to funk up the pitch, it's not even their pitch FFS!!

under premier league rules, the opposition is allowed access to any part of the pitch at any time after a match, so the groundsman wasn't doing his job

under premier league rules, the opposition is allowed access to any part of the pitch at any time after a match, so the groundsman wasn't doing his job

Funny how the story reports otherwise.

Maybe the whole thing was planned? Say the groundsman was meant to entice Evra into a fight and subsequently unsettle the whole club before a Champions League semi-final and title run in. Notice how no Chelsea players were involved whatsoever. There were what, 6 or 7 Man Utd players out there and this whole story does not affect Chelsea players or Avram Grant at all. I reckon Chelsea would have rather played Barcelona in the final.

We don't know what Abramovich is capable of, and I wouldn't put this past him.

Guest Phil K

The Guardian claims that.....

Whenever I see the words "The Guardian..." I think "lying politically correct b******s..." before I even READ the thing ! :D

(And the Independent is 10 times WORSE !)

I trust Taggert and his Football Press scabby lapdogs significantly LESS

Maybe the whole thing was planned? Say the groundsman was meant to entice Evra into a fight and subsequently unsettle the whole club before a Champions League semi-final and title run in. Notice how no Chelsea players were involved whatsoever. There were what, 6 or 7 Man Utd players out there and this whole story does not affect Chelsea players or Avram Grant at all. I reckon Chelsea would have rather played Barcelona in the final.

Is that you making unfounded allegations again?

Also how wouldn't you put it past him if you don't know what he's capable of?

Guest DazzaNufc1892

feel sorry for the boys, get alot of stick alot of the time and as much as you would not think it does, things really do get to them, but this isnt even going to make waves next to what is going to come out of old trafford int he next few weeks, big fa investigation on the way ;)