Kenny Dalglish

Tooj

Just scowering through a few things and watched a few clips there on Youtube of him, never really seen absolutely loads of him though as a player. But the fact that the Scousers rate him as their all time greatest, when you look at the players they've had over the years, does say quite a lot.

Just wondering with some of the old folk on here (Mick for some reason your name crops up first ;)) was he as good as they say?

Keegan, left for Hamburg, where he was European footballer of the year twice.

They signed dalglish, to replace keegan, ive heard it said they rated kenny higher.

He certainly took us apart whenever he came up here.

But for me no-man that walks on this earth can ever fill Kevin keegans shoes.

The younger members on this forum will know what i mean in a couple of seasons.

Just scowering through a few things and watched a few clips there on Youtube of him, never really seen absolutely loads of him though as a player. But the fact that the Scousers rate him as their all time greatest, when you look at the players they've had over the years, does say quite a lot.

Just wondering with some of the old folk on here (Mick for some reason your name crops up first ;)) was he as good as they say?

Yes, he was. Not much pace but very skilful and a brilliant reader of the game. Somehow he would always use the ball in precisely the way that would hurt the opposition the most.

Quite a tasty bugger too. I can remember he had his cheek broken in an aerial challenge with Kevin Moran, who was centre back for Blackburn at the time. Dalglish was out for quite a few weeks, and his return match was actually against Blackburn. First corner of the game, Dalglish and Moran go up for it and down goes Moran, clutching his face. Dalglish had actually broken his cheek, but had somehow done it without making it look deliberate. Coincidence? You decide.

Yes, he was. Not much pace but very skilful and a brilliant reader of the game. Somehow he would always use the ball in precisely the way that would hurt the opposition the most.

Quite a tasty bugger too. I can remember he had his cheek broken in an aerial challenge with Kevin Moran, who was centre back for Blackburn at the time. Dalglish was out for quite a few weeks, and his return match was actually against Blackburn. First corner of the game, Dalglish and Moran go up for it and down goes Moran, clutching his face. Dalglish had actually broken his cheek, but had somehow done it without making it look deliberate. Coincidence? You decide.

They do say its not hard to tell the differance between a Ray of Sunshine, and a scotsman with a grudge.

He was class, he was taken to Liverpool to replace Keegan which I didn't think he could do but he did it, Scottish football produced some very good players back then but I can't think of any better than him.

Guest Scouseman

Kenny Dalglish was without a doubt the best British player I've seen.  He had sublime ball control and his speed of thought far outweighed any lack of pace.   He was blessed with so much individual skill that he could have been forgiven for always trying to go it alone but he was a team player and brought others in to the game at will.  He's always described as the creator supreme and I'd go along with that.

Two summers ago the official site had a summer long vote on ' 100 players who shook the kop'  and even with many young ones voting Kenny still came out top.

Here's the list, there are a few people in there that you'll recognise, Keegan was number 8 but I was a bit disappointed that Terry Mac only came in at 37, I'd have thought he'd do better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Players_Who_Shook_The_Kop

I remember seeing some of the stuff on that before, still a bit dubious about Gerrard at number 2 mind. From what I've heard various family members say, they all rated Souness higher.

Guest Scouseman

I remember seeing some of the stuff on that before, still a bit dubious about Gerrard at number 2 mind. From what I've heard various family members say, they all rated Souness higher.

There would have been many younger ones voting. 

Souness was a better footballer and a great captain but he never had to drag the team in to a game from nowhere like Steven Gerrard has.  Souness was also surrounded by great players in every position.

Guest Scouseman

David Fairclough would have been voted purely for his goal against St Etienne which took us in to the semi final of the EC.

David Fairclough would have been voted purely for his goal against St Etienne which took us in to the semi final of the EC.

I think he was the original "Super Sub" and probably still the most effective ever that I can think of.

You'd have to explain that one to me. And probably Kenny's wife too. :lol:

I thought that almost at the same time as pressing the post button as I couldn't imagine David Fairclough spawning anything that could be described as lovely.

David Fairclough above Beardsley, Terry McDermott and Ray Kennedy.   bluelaugh.gif

Dont think, Peter the Great. ever got the Credit he desrved at Liverpool, think it was because Dalglish himself didnt like him.

Kenny Dalglish was without a doubt the best British player I've seen.  He had sublime ball control and his speed of thought far outweighed any lack of pace.  He was blessed with so much individual skill that he could have been forgiven for always trying to go it alone but he was a team player and brought others in to the game at will.  He's always described as the creator supreme and I'd go along with that.

Two summers ago the official site had a summer long vote on ' 100 players who shook the kop'  and even with many young ones voting Kenny still came out top.

Here's the list, there are a few people in there that you'll recognise, Keegan was number 8 but I was a bit disappointed that Terry Mac only came in at 37, I'd have thought he'd do better.

Agreed - what you say about Terry Mac is true too - I thought he was one of the best box-to-box midfield players I've ever seen when he was in his prime.

Made his debut for NUFC against Liverpool in 1972 after signing from Bury for 25,000 pounds(must be one of the best buys of all time)and he was Newcastle's best player on the day, just as he was when we lost to Liverpool at Wembley in 74 ; McDermott was the only Newcastle player to do himself justice in the final

and I believe that performance was instrumental in Liverpool signing him for 170,000 4 months later.

Although many NUFC fans knock Dalglish for his time as manager here, I believe that he made some really good signings - Solano and Hamman among them and the players liked him, despite his taciturn image in the Press. I still think he was unlucky that Shearer got injured before the 97-98 season because he and Tomasson would have proved a success in time....

Kenny Dalglish was without a doubt the best British player I've seen.  He had sublime ball control and his speed of thought far outweighed any lack of pace.  He was blessed with so much individual skill that he could have been forgiven for always trying to go it alone but he was a team player and brought others in to the game at will.  He's always described as the creator supreme and I'd go along with that.

Agreed - what you say about Terry Mac is true too - I thought he was one of the best box-to-box midfield players I've ever seen when he was in his prime.

Made his debut for NUFC against Liverpool in 1972 after signing from Bury for 25,000 pounds(must be one of the best buys of all time)and he was Newcastle's best player on the day, just as he was when we lost to Liverpool at Wembley in 74 ; McDermott was the only Newcastle player to do himself justice in the final

and I believe that performance was instrumental in Liverpool signing him for 170,000 4 months later.

Although many NUFC fans knock Dalglish for his time as manager here, I believe that he made some really good signings - Solano and Hamman among them and the players liked him, despite his taciturn image in the Press. I still think he was unlucky that Shearer got injured before the 97-98 season because he and Tomasson would have proved a success in time....

unlucky in losing asprilla aswell to injury leaving us with none of his preferred forward line for a long,long time

Guest Geordiecunny

Neil Mellor in there at all? It'd be like us having chopra in our equivalent.

Guest Scouseman

We had to bring Neil Mellor in from the reserves because of the amount of injuries we had in 05, the year we won the CL.  I don't remember how many he scored but two of them were crucial, 1 against Olympiakos and 1 against Arsenal in the dying seconds, giving us the 3 points and a much needed boost of confidence against a team that had gone unbeaten the season before.

I think most clubs picking a 100 players would have a few names in there that other fans either wouldn't recognise, or wonder how they got there.  It wasn't only about the best players.

We had to bring Neil Mellor in from the reserves because of the amount of injuries we had in 05, the year we won the CL.  I don't remember how many he scored but two of them were crucial, 1 against Olympiakos and 1 against Arsenal in the dying seconds, giving us the 3 points and a much needed boost of confidence against a team that had gone unbeaten the season before.

I think most clubs picking a 100 players would have a few names in there that other fans either wouldn't recognise, or wonder how they got there.  It wasn't only about the best players.

These types of list will often confuse or cause debate because how 1 player gets on list is not the same criteria for another.

Guest Scouseman

You're right The Spence.

This one was about players who shook the kop for one reason or another, most would be for their football skills but others could be there for one particular goal, or their commitment etc....