Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Guest bmoregeordie

Why didn't Villa spend this money at the beginning of the year, and keep Martin O'Neill? Now a 10M offer for our old friend Jermaine?

Jesus christ. Shall I? Or Brummie?

O'Neil was deemed (and rightly so) to have wasted a lot of money on high wages for players who weren't really doing anything. He was told to get rid of some of these players before he could have any more money.

He also, apparently, went to Lerner and had this conversation:

MON: "I want to sign Aiden McGeady"

RL: "What sort of price are we looking at?"

MON: "Whatever it takes"

Poor, wronged Saint Martin.

Ha. I'll stand corrected. Didn't realize those were the players he was spending on. Sometimes it's tough to get the whole story over here in the States.

That being said, I think the guy can flat out manage. Maybe not as good an evaluator of talent though?

Why does Birmingham always buy Aston Villa's squad players?

It just shows how shit they are if they have to buy players that aren't wanted at their biggest rivals.

I wouldn't mind Sunderland snapping up Smith and Xisco.

Why didn't Villa spend this money at the beginning of the year, and keep Martin O'Neill? Now a 10M offer for our old friend Jermaine?

O'Neil was deemed (and rightly so) to have wasted a lot of money on high wages for players who weren't really doing anything. He was told to get rid of some of these players before he could have any more money.

Ha. I'll stand corrected. Didn't realize those were the players he was spending on. Sometimes it's tough to get the whole story over here in the States.

That being said, I think the guy can flat out manage. Maybe not as good an evaluator of talent though?

From the outside - and brummie feel free to correct me -, MoN's player cycle looked like this:

1.Buy player of average ability for a non-average price

2.Player of said average ability naturally performs averagely

3.MoN feels betrayed by the averageness and chucks the player into the pits of oblivion

4. Go to 1

He seemed to have an obsession with fullbacks in particular.

From the outside - and brummie feel free to correct me -, MoN's player cycle looked like this:

3.MoN feels betrayed by the averageness and chucks the player into the pits of oblivion

4. Go to 1

2008: buys Shorey (LB), Knight (CB) and Curtis Davies (CB) - total 18m

2009: buys Warnock (LB), Dunne (CB), Collins (CB) - total 18m, to replace the players he'd bought the year before.

In with all that, he'd also bought Cuellar for 7m, and having not had a RB for two years, he buys Luke Young for twice the amount he could have had him for when he went to Boro, AND Habib Beye to fill that role, but ended up playing Cuellar, an out of position centre back there.

Some of the players, like Sidwell, Shorey, Harewood (FFS) he bought then immediately decided he didn't fancy, so didn't bother using them. See also Beye.

Of those players, we're currently trying to nigh on give Davies away, Shorey went for fuck all, Beye is a 33 year old with 2 years of a 40k a week contract left to run, Sidwell went for fuck all as, after three years of coming on for 10 mins at the end, he was out of contract, Harewood ran his contract down, and Reo-Coker's contract is also up this summer - having been ostracised for over a year by MON. So that's 8.5m we spent on him, and he's walking away for nowt

In many ways, he is a very good manager indeed, but he has two failings.

One is his transfer policy which is short sighted (UK based players only, ALL of them except Carew and Guzan) and half arsed (we had a scouting network which consisted of ONE MAN - Ian Storey Moore).

The other is his tactical cluelessness. It's great counter attacking away from home, but when you're at home and a team doesn't want to be broken down, it doesn't work, so for two years we just whacked crosses into the box all day long.

He'll get teams to 6th - 8th with money to spend, but to get beyond that, you absolutely must have a great deal of tactical acumen, and he doesn't.

4. Go to 1

2008: buys Shorey (LB), Knight (CB) and Curtis Davies (CB) - total 18m

2009: buys Warnock (LB), Dunne (CB), Collins (CB) - total 18m, to replace the players he'd bought the year before.

In with all that, he'd also bought Cuellar for 7m, and having not had a RB for two years, he buys Luke Young for twice the amount he could have had him for when he went to Boro, AND Habib Beye to fill that role, but ended up playing Cuellar, an out of position centre back there.

Some of the players, like Sidwell, Shorey, Harewood (FFS) he bought then immediately decided he didn't fancy, so didn't bother using them. See also Beye.

Of those players, we're currently trying to nigh on give Davies away, Shorey went for fuck all, Beye is a 33 year old with 2 years of a 40k a week contract left to run, Sidwell went for fuck all as, after three years of coming on for 10 mins at the end, he was out of contract, Harewood ran his contract down, and Reo-Coker's contract is also up this summer - having been ostracised for over a year by MON. So that's 8.5m we spent on him, and he's walking away for nowt

In many ways, he is a very good manager indeed, but he has two failings.

One is his transfer policy which is short sighted (UK based players only, ALL of them except Carew and Guzan) and half arsed (we had a scouting network which consisted of ONE MAN - Ian Storey Moore).

The other is his tactical cluelessness. It's great counter attacking away from home, but when you're at home and a team doesn't want to be broken down, it doesn't work, so for two years we just whacked crosses into the box all day long.

He'll get teams to 6th - 8th with money to spend, but to get beyond that, you absolutely must have a great deal of tactical acumen, and he doesn't.

but try saying that to the likes of winter with their tongue firmly connected to saint martins rear and they'll call it bitterness from ungrateful villa fans

I didn't mean to sound like a twat it just seems to get asked all the time.

Re: Adebayor i said to my brother his whole career should consist of 6 month loan deals because he only performs in the first 6 months then gives up, he should buck his ideas up because he could be one of the best strikers in the world.

More than one ITK saying that Phil Neville will be a Spurs player this window.  £2.5m, maybe 1 or 2 of Niko/JJ/Keane also going to Goodison on loan.

Not the first time Neville's name has cropped up but I'd be very surprised if Keane goes there, still think he'll wind up at Wham.