Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Talking of rescuing careers, not a transfer story, but check out this self-loving prick. Great levels of self delusion.

I wonder who the job Mourinho supposedly recommended him for was with.

Former Aston Villa and Leeds United boss David O'Leary has confirmed he is ready to get back into football management.

The 51-year-old former Republic of Ireland international has been without a post after leaving Villa Park by mutual content in July 2006.

O'Leary has had offers to get back into the game, although the positions have not been of a high enough calibre to tempt him into accepting.

The ex-Arsenal defender has not ruled out dropping out of the Premier League to accept a Championship post or one day returning to Leeds.

Requests

"I've had requests to go back into football and it's not me bigging myself up or thinking I deserve a bigger job but I just felt that the jobs weren't right in any way," he told the Daily Mail.

"I've had lots of offers mainly from abroad and I think that can only come from people remembering Leeds in the Champions League.

"Ideally I'd love to get back into the day-to-day stuff. I'm a worker. I'd take a Championship job definitely if it was the right one. Dave O'Leary needs to be working. Dave O'Leary doesn't want to be playing golf.

"Some were with loads and loads of dollars. Jose Mourinho was very good and recommended me for a really big job but I just felt I couldn't live where it was with the family really. That was about six or seven months ago."

Dramatic return

Astonishingly O'Leary, despite being blamed by some as one of the factors behind their dramatic fall from grace, has not ruled out returning to Elland Road down the line as manager.

While Peter Ridsdale took the fall for signing the cheques which ultimately led to the club's perilous position, O'Leary chose the transfer targets and failed to guide the team to UEFA Champions League football in the 2000/01 season.

"I wouldn't rule that out," he said of returning to the Leeds hot-seat one day. "Most of the city would love it to happen and what would give it every chance is Ridsdale is not involved anymore.

"We'd have to wait and see on that. My last memory of Leeds is of 40,000 people applauding me as I walked around the pitch. I left them in the top five in the country."

Guest GAMMELL

O'Bleary just loves the sound of his voice... He'll probably end up at QPR once they sack Jim Magilton 2-3 months into the season

Where wouldnt he want his family live?

Somewhere like Turkey with the extreme football fans, so didnt fenerbahce have a new manager last season?

Complete guess work

And Galatasary for that matter.

is david o'leary not best mates with llambo?

wouldn't be too surprised to see him in charge of us if the club isn't sold before the start of the season

Run for the hills if he does, run for the hills.

You'd need to ready yourself for your manager talking the club down and himself up continually, and constantly CONSTANTLY going on about his "great bunch of young lads" at Leeds. One of whose "greatness" you've experienced at close hand of late.

£25m + £250k a week for Eto'o.

They really are fucking scum, this club. The ridiculous irony is that they've got Mark Hughes as manager and will still go absolutely fucking nowhere with him in charge.

£25m + £250k a week for Eto'o.

They really are f***ing scum, this club. The ridiculous irony is that they've got Mark Hughes as manager and will still go absolutely f***ing nowhere with him in charge.

What happens if he is a disaster at City.  He is well-known for being disruptive in the dressing room and difficult to handle - I have heard him described as "poison" in the Barca dressing room before.

How will they be able to get rid of him as no-one else will pay the wages?  Chelsea have a load of players out on loan running down their contracts because they cannot get back the transfer fee and other clubs cannot afford their wages.

They may think they need the marquee signing to push them to the next level and that it is worth it for the potential problems it might cause.  However, £250k per week is just so far ahead of anyone else that it is just ridiculous.

Aye, i think it's a peculiar choice regardless of the fees involved. You could argue that he's reached his peak and i mean he'll hit 30 in a year or so (i know, it's hardly ancient but you see my point). The fact that they've already got eleven strikers in the squad makes you wonder why they need someone like Eto'o. When you consider they've got the likes of Santa Cruz, Robinho, Bellamy there already - one of those four are going to be fourth choice. I'm sounding very obvious, but i mean - that's a recipe for a disaster if things don't start going as planned. You've got a couple of players there with ridiculous fees on ridiculous wages, unhappy about not being in the team.

It'll all go tits up at Man City tbh. Can't wait to see it happen.

I'm guessing its a four year contract? Thats over £75m for one player (and thats assuming that the wage is before tax!).

I can see the justification in paying that for a Beckham or a Ronaldo due to the commercial profile they bring to a club, but Eto'o would pretty much have to win the Champion's League for city within the four years to come close to justifying the number. And thats completely disregarding the numbers being paid out for Robinho and whoever else they bring in over the next 4 years.

Is anythign really worth that sort of money?????????

Robinho, Bellamy and Eto'o. Egotastic.

This stinks of a status signing tbh. Look at us, we can sign expensive players from Real Madrid and Barcelona and pay them the world's highest wages.

Meanwhile they've still got Dunne and Ben Haim leading their defense. And whilst a year ago i woul dhave had them both at this club, they were pretty damn unconvincing last season.

Seems like Man City are a bit like Chelsea without the intelligence.

I mean, Roman spent loads but he had Mourinho there to get some lesser known, hungry players to make it all work. Without that Man City are just spraying money everywhere.

I mean, Roman spent loads but he had Mourinho there to get some lesser known, hungry players to make it all work. Without that Man City are just spraying money everywhere.

Aye that's exactly right. They're just blowing the cash on expensive rent-a-strikers like Bellamy and the blatantly 'obvious' top class players who are happy to whore themselves around for megawumba. If you look at Chelsea's first signings, aye - they were well known but were sorta made up of hungry expensive players, like you say. I'm talking under Ranieri aswell, he still guided them to second place.

Aye that's exactly right. They're just blowing the cash on expensive rent-a-strikers like Bellamy and the blatantly 'obvious' top class players who are happy to whore themselves around for megawumba. If you look at Chelsea's first signings, aye - they were well known but were sorta made up of hungry expensive players, like you say. I'm talking under Ranieri aswell, he still guided them to second place.

Yeah, I can see that Hughes is kind of trying to buy players with premiership experience to bring consistency, the problem is that the ones he's going for (Santa Cruz, Bellamy) are either average or also have superstar egos.

I can't see Man City cracking the top 4 next season.