Other clubs' transfers

Dave

I can't wait to see what formation Spurs are planning on playing next season. I find this all very fascinating. Still no steel in midfield.

Wonder where they'll put Modric especially. Don't think he could hack it as one of a midfield pairing in the premier league. I could only really see him playing in the centre as one of a three.

The absence of a hard DM (and a quality GK/quality CB) generate more threads on Spurs forums than anything else.  What formation Ramos will use comes a close second.  Ramos usually plays 4-4-2 but there are significant defensive frailties at the present time.  Until the shopping is complete, it's near impossible to guess what Ramos will opt for.

I don't think it's that hard really if you are actually after Bentley when you already have Modric.  It will be 4-4-2.

How do you work that one out? With these signings, it looks like Ramos is leaning more to a 4-2-3-1/4-1-2-3 formation.....

-----------------------------gk----------------------

hutton------woodgate-----king------------bale

--------------------------DM------------------------

-----------------jenas--------modric--------------

--------Bentley---------------------dos santos---

------------------------Berbatov(new)-----------

or..

----------------------------Gk-------------------------

hutton---------Woodgate---king------------bale

------------------jenas---------DM------------------

---------bentley-------Modric------Dos Santos---

--------------------------Berbatov-------------------

Hopefully we get Palombo for the dm role.

Woodgate and King both fit at the same time? Catch yourself on.

Anyone else read that in a Jim McDonald voice?

Guest teepee

michael laudrup is apparently an option for new blackburn boss - not sure his style is suited for the epl tbh

he likes to play an attacking style, and i reckon that he might get in trouble against the more solid teams in england

on the positive side bentley, santa cruz and gamst fit into his philosophy very well

I can't wait to see what formation Spurs are planning on playing next season. I find this all very fascinating. Still no steel in midfield.

Wonder where they'll put Modric especially. Don't think he could hack it as one of a midfield pairing in the premier league. I could only really see him playing in the centre as one of a three.

The absence of a hard DM (and a quality GK/quality CB) generate more threads on Spurs forums than anything else.  What formation Ramos will use comes a close second.  Ramos usually plays 4-4-2 but there are significant defensive frailties at the present time.  Until the shopping is complete, it's near impossible to guess what Ramos will opt for.

I don't think it's that hard really if you are actually after Bentley when you already have Modric.  It will be 4-4-2.

How do you work that one out? With these signings, it looks like Ramos is leaning more to a 4-2-3-1/4-1-2-3 formation.....

or..

I've been over here too long, So I have.

or..

I've been over here too long, So I have.

mackems.gif

That team really doesn't look great, even on paper. They'd just get pushed around. Very soft midfield. With the way that midfield is shaping up they are going to need a world class DM to make sure it balances right.

I think Newcastle would do very well to attract Tainio. Personally I think he should be a starter alongside Modric as he has been consistently impressive when he has played - only problem has been his injuries. If he got regular games he would be a real player and could be a good replacement for Barton.

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=654

mackems.gif

Samuel Eto’o spotted at Arsenal today

Could be a wind-up, but the story was relayed to us in good faith

By Kevin Whitcher

Just got a call from a reliable source. They know someone who was at the stadium today and saw Samuel Eto’o and Gary Lewin in the boardroom in Highbury House.

Eto’o – the scale of signing that says Arsenal mean business?

What that combination might be doing there is a mystery. If it was to do with a medical, then surely it would happen at the training ground, no? Maybe Lewin just happened to be there at the same time and took the chance to catch up with news of Eto’o’s pal at Barca, Thierry Henry. Who knows? Anyway, let’s just say it’s true for the sake of argument and discuss the implications were Eto’o to actually sign for the club.

Firstly Wenger has expressed regret that he missed out on the player earlier in his career. So there is an existing admiration. Barcelona are reputedly trying to come to some agreement over Alexander Hleb, so who is to say that Eto’o might not be involved in the deal.

If Milan are seriously going to offer daft money for Adebayor, then with Van Persie beginning to look like the player he has only sporadically been for Arsenal, Eto’o might be seen as a good replacement for Adebayor, should he go to Italy. He’s certainly more proven at the top level.

Eto’o seems to have been around forever, but in fact he is only 27 years old, so age does not count against him, although his experience would undoubtedly be a plus. If he has had his time in Spain, surely Henry would have only had good things to say about Arsenal.

Wenger does have money to spend, although he’s being canny about what he might do with it. An untouched £25 million from January, the money made on the sale of Lassana Diarra to Portsmouth and by logic, maybe £10 million more since the beginning fo the year. So, around £40 million to play with for signings and their first year of wages. Aaron Ramsey cost £5 million and Samir Nasri will reputedly be just over double that, although Arsenal will undoubtedly attempt to arrange these deals with payments made in instalments, the way Manchester United currently do. If Adebayor is sold and Hleb is exchanged for Eto’o, there is still money in the pot for a quality and much needed stopper.

So, let’s see how this one pans out. Could be a wind up, of course. Always remember – football is bullsh*t central. Still, we don’t often get gossip of this quality, so we thought we’d bring it to your attention. Do with it what you will.

Guest BooBoo

I think Newcastle would do very well to attract Tainio. Personally I think he should be a starter alongside Modric as he has been consistently impressive when he has played - only problem has been his injuries. If he got regular games he would be a real player and could be a good replacement for Barton.

Give over man!

SWP on his way to Pompey for £10m per 2 journos.

Where? I'd love us to sign SWP, have always rated him.

One was from a journo from the Express on a Spurs forum, the other from the Independent, though I see that article has changed from Portsmouth have bid to Portsmouth are waiting in the wings.

I rate SWP too, he's wasted his career while stuck in the Chelsea reserves.  Far better than Lennon ever will be though I'd prefer Bentley to SWP as he offers a bit more versatility.

The Sun says Spurs have agreed a deal with Fiorentina for Mario Santana for £4m

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1315217.ece

Great, just what we need, another attacking midfielder! :frantic:

I heard you had just signed Bentley. Where's all the money coming from? 

Probably coming out of the season ticket hikes!

If it is true that we've got him for £9.5m that is an amazing bit of business imho. 

Guest TyneToPlay

If it is true that we've got him for £9.5m that is an amazing bit of business imho. 

That would be a good price for an English player but Spuds problems are in their defence and instead of sorting them that'll be five attacking midfielders you've signed this summer; Modric, Bostock, Santos, Bentley and Santana! What a waste. At this rate I reckon we'll still do the double over you!  ;D

That would be a good price for an English player but Spuds problems are in their defence and instead of sorting them that'll be five attacking midfielders you've signed this summer; Modric, Bostock, Santos, Bentley and Santana! What a waste. At this rate I reckon we'll still do the double over you!   ;D

If we still have the same defence as last season, you could easily be right!

It's great for that amount of business to have been sorted before the window officially opens but I still think there are still at least 3 signings to be made, probably 4, possibly 5 or even 6.  A GK is a necessity (or maybe 2), 1 or 2 CD's and a quality DM should be priorities also, plus a striker to replace Berbatov when he goes, which seems more likely than if he goes.  If deals can be done, there will be a whole load of departures as well.

BTW, no one has been calling Santana except for the Sun although, tbf, they were the first to call Modric.

Guest TyneToPlay

That would be a good price for an English player but Spuds problems are in their defence and instead of sorting them that'll be five attacking midfielders you've signed this summer; Modric, Bostock, Santos, Bentley and Santana! What a waste. At this rate I reckon we'll still do the double over you!   ;D

If we still have the same defence as last season, you could easily be right!

It's great for that amount of business to have been sorted before the window officially opens but I still think there are still at least 3 signings to be made, probably 4, possibly 5 or even 6.  A GK is a necessity (or maybe 2), 1 or 2 CD's and a quality DM should be priorities also, plus a striker to replace Berbatov when he goes, which seems more likely than if he goes.  If deals can be done, there will be a whole load of departures as well.

BTW, no one has been calling Santana except for the Sun although, tbf, they were the first to call Modric.

Sky calling it too.

It seems you are buying a lot of attacking midfielders but the difficult ones are the really good defensive players as we ourselves know only too well.