Keegan on breaking into the top four, and fifth as a target next year

hakka

So he's not saying he won't have enough money to spend, but saying that whatever money he will spend, it won't be enough to bridge the gap because he can't spend money on the players that Chelsea have got..?

Does anyone else read it the same I did?

It is disheartening to hear him say this, but I reckon it's just him trying to lower the expectations for next season.

Edit: Nut and Skeletor seems to agree.

That's what he said, he's just being realistic, they pissed all over us 2nd half.

So basically the thread is a load of sensationalist bollocks? Thought so. Expect the usual suspect to be all over it like a rash though.

We can't compete with Chelsea. No shit.

Guest optimistic nit

What I think he means is that he won't have the money to close the gap, and rightly so imo. We could easily spend £50m...but so too will Chelsea, Man Utd, etc.

:lol: aye

quite funny that there's all this panic is about us not having anough money to catch chelsea :lol:

still, if 1-3 players is what he expects to get in, it wont be enough, but i dont think he thinks this.

Guest getalife

So he's not saying he won't have enough money to spend, but saying that whatever money he will spend, it won't be enough to bridge the gap because he can't spend money on the players that Chelsea have got..?

Does anyone else read it the same I did?

It is disheartening to hear him say this, but I reckon it's just him trying to lower the expectations for next season.

You should see the interview, I'm not scaremongering, but after a game I just enjoyed, KK came on and threw a real bad karma out, he just looked unmotivated and panicky, I havent found time recently to visit this site much, but after that I dived on to see what that is all about........

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

All he was doing was calling Ashley's bluff. He wouldn't be manager now if there wasn't money to spend this summer.

What I think he means is that he won't have the money to close the gap, and rightly so imo. We could easily spend £50m...but so too will Chelsea, Man Utd, etc.

:lol: aye

quite funny that there's all this panic is about us not having anough money to catch chelsea :lol:

still, if 1-3 players is what he expects to get in, it wont be enough, but i dont think he thinks this.

The 1-3 players was an exaggeration to try and get his point across, he's already said they've sat down and put a list of targets together.

Guest optimistic nit

i've got to say though, after the last few seasons under roeder, souness and allardyce, how fucking weird is it to hear a manager say things that you actually agree with. i'd just sort of assumed all managers had a chip in their brain with about 20 sayings playing on random.

You should see the interview, I'm not scaremongering, but after a game I just enjoyed, KK came on and threw a real bad karma out, he just looked unmotivated and panicky, I havent found time recently to visit this site much, but after that I dived on to see what that is all about........

Fitting user name by the way.   :clap:

Guest Jawesome

Why does he keep talking about what we can't do?  He should be telling us his ambitions for us and speaking about what we can do.

Why does he keep talking about what we can't do?  He should be telling us his ambitions for us and speaking about what we can do.

Because the expectations for next season are already pretty high imo. At least there's an undercurrent of feeling that we'll easily get top 10 next year and maybe look to challenge for top 6. In reality it is going to be fucking hard since all the teams challenging us have had a year or two headstart.

Guest getalife

Fitting user name by the way.   :clap:

Nice one brother Mick, it came through not sound....

Probably telling the chairman as much as anyone else.

Guest Jawesome

It isn't FM.  In real life you can actually speak to someone without going through the fucking media.

Guest Guinness

It seems as if the gulf between us and the top four has just hit him and its really depressed him. He pretty much says we haven't got the money to bridge the gap because they'll all spend in the summer too. He states in the interview he doesn't know how much there is to spend, but his comments are somewhat in contrast to what he was saying when he took over. I think it's down to the defeat, we were unbeaten in 7 before this and its got to be a little disheartening to see that come to an end, even if it was against Chelsea.

It isn't FM. In real life you can actually speak to someone without going through the fucking media.

I'm sure he's spoken to him already and Ashley, but it probably really hit home today and this was his opportunity to say, "Look, I told you, we're fucking miles off".

Ok, so i got that he's saying the gap between us and them is near imporssible to breach but i still disagree, i think it's only gonna take one of the clubs to have a great season to knock Liverpool off that perch and the landscape will change massively.

Because the expectations for next season are already pretty high imo. At least there's an undercurrent of feeling that we'll easily get top 10 next year and maybe look to challenge for top 6. In reality it is going to be f****** hard since all the teams challenging us have had a year or two headstart.

Tbf though, he could have easily came out and said something like he was looking forward to top 6, qualifying for Europe, etc. however, to come out with the million years behind Chelsea, and then having a veiled dig at Ashley's ambitions (Setanta saying read the quotes in the papers tomorrow), was a bit off, and has left a negative feel imo.

I was miffed like.  I can't help but feel some on here have jumped the gun.  Of course we can't match Chelsea in terms of money.  Ashley will not spend 100m this summer, and we know that.  We also don't have Yuropean football to offer, so we will have that as a hindrance when bidding for players.

The one thing that does concern me is the "we need 2 maybe 3 players" remark.

He's right in what he says, how do you go about catching a club that has the likes of Ashley Cole and SWP not getting into the 16 man squad and Lampard, Shevchenko and Joe Cole on the bench?

We could go out and spend £60 million in the Summer but there's a good chance Chelsea will go out and spend around that amount too, the only difference is theirs will be spent on 1 or 2 players that we could only dream of signing where as ours will be spent on 4 or 5 good players that the big four don't want.