Where's the ambition?

bulivye

You dont hink a club which has already developed an inferiority complex and in essence thrown in the towel to the possiblity of challenging for a CL position in the coming years is gonna be damaging for the club transfer wise?

You dont think think that the club down in london who are actively vying for a CL spot are gonna benefit from this little outburst?

You're right, I don't think that.

fair comment about trying to take pressure off the players, i think it could have been achieved without being SO negative though, but whats done is done.

Sorry but I would see 5th any time in the next 3 years a being very positive and that is the target Keegan has set himself for next season.

Hasn't he set himself that target for the next 3 years?

fair comment about trying to take pressure off the players, i think it could have been achieved without being SO negative though, but whats done is done.

Sorry but I would see 5th any time in the next 3 years a being very positive and that is the target Keegan has set himself for next season.

so would i, i've already stated i'd be delighted with 7th next season, never mind 5th, i'd be pleased with top 8 and satisfied with top 10 ffs! i just think that there are other, less negative things he could've said to take the pressure off the players then 'it is impossible for newcastle united to qualify for the champions league in the next three years'. realistic or not.

edit - i'd like to add to this that i think kk will know there are other things he could have said too, which is why imo its a money issue making him say it.

i hope keegan is a bit more receptive to players coming from south america, too. read something the other day that wise and co had been scouring latin america for young talent recently, but goes against what keegan said about not being keen on buying south americans.

it is clearly a tough transition to go from somewhere like buenos aires to tyneside, but there's just too many talented players from that continent to ignore it. you're probably talking almost half of all the best players in the world coming from there. young players there are so desperate to move to europe that it gives us an excellent chance to bring them in, whereas someone playing in portugal or the netherlands might be prepared to stay put for longer in the hope a bigger club comes calling.

Problem with that is the VISA/Work Permit issues, unless they are proven internationals it's hard to get them in to this country and if they are proven internationals they've probably already moved to Europe anyway. Maschareno and Tevez were the exception to this, unfortunately there are not many of those around.

If Spurs tell a player they're aiming to get a champions league spot, and Newcastle tell the same player we won't be getting that spot, who do you think the player will choose? Who would you choose?

I don't know what Spurs tell potential signings but it hasn't done them much good in the past.  Ok they've recently got one over us twice but they've failed just as many times in the past.

As for your last question, I'd choose Newcastle over any other club but I can't claim that I'm not slightly looking through rose tinted specs.

I hate London anyway, it’s a s*** hole

He said he thinks we can finish 5th next season, let's see what he then says if we do it.

He said he thinks we can finish 5th next season, let's see what he then says if we do it.

That's a great thing for him to say. To put a negative slant on it is pointless. Can anyone justify why he's done that?

You dont hink a club which has already developed an inferiority complex and in essence thrown in the towel to the possiblity of challenging for a CL position in the coming years is gonna be damaging for the club transfer wise?

You dont think think that the club down in london who are actively vying for a CL spot are gonna benefit from this little outburst?

You're right, I don't think that.

Then your bordering on blind faith and completely disreagrding reality. i just dont see how those comments can be concieved in any positive way, imagine Derby County boss at the start of the season saying staying in the premiership is impossible - i think that thats a pretty comparable situation.

Yes getting to 5th place is an excellent target and i for one would be ecstatic with that, but to outright say that making the next big step is impossible is bad management to me. I can think of plenty more sensible approaches to lowering the expectation of the fans than this.

This whole thing is reminiscent of the "love it love it" rant, in the sense that it he's let his emotion run his head.

The thing that shocks me most about it is that its completely contradictory to what he's said earlier, he's gone a full 180 and turned into a pessimistic Keegan, the same one that left Man City.

I agree with everyone that things Keegan is to negative. Maybe he has right. But it is soooo unnecessary to do that.

I want a optimistic Keegan. Not a one that complains at everything. No one will gather from it

Then your bordering on blind faith and completely disreagrding reality. i just dont see how those comments can be concieved in any positive way, imagine Derby County boss at the start of the season saying staying in the premiership is impossible - i think that thats a pretty comparable situation.

Yes getting to 5th place is an excellent target and i for one would be ecstatic with that, but to outright say that making the next big step is impossible is bad management to me. I can think of plenty more sensible approaches to lowering the expectation of the fans than this.

This whole thing is reminiscent of the "love it love it" rant, in the sense that it he's let his emotion run his head.

The thing that shocks me most about it is that its completely contradictory to what he's said earlier, he's gone a full 180 and turned into a pessimistic Keegan, the same one that left Man City.

It might be bordering on blind faith but I see people reading comments and predicting the outcome during transfer talks, I think that is crazy.  If Souness can bring players to the club then Keegan can regardless of what he says after playing Chelsea, what he's said will be forgotten by most fans in a week or two, players will forget it even sooner.

I agree with everyone that things Keegan is to negative. Maybe he has right. But it is soooo unnecessary to do that.

I want a optimistic Keegan. Not a one that complains at everything. No one will gather from it

Him wanting 5th next season is anything but negative.

I'll ask again then. Why do you think Keegan put such a negative slant on that?

No.

But all complaining at everything else. He can say it ones, fine. But then I think it is enough. He does´t need to say this. it brings nothing positive from it.

I'll ask again then. Why do you think Keegan put such a negative slant on that?

I thought I'd answered that earlier in the thread, because he wanted to take pressure off the players next season and also because we'd just lost to Chelsea, at a guess.

No.

But all complaining at everything else. He can say it ones, fine. But then I think it is enough. He does´t need to say this. it brings nothing positive from it.

He only made these comments straight after the Chelsea game so it was the same person probably answering the same questions while being influenced by the same things, whatever they were.

It might be bordering on blind faith but I see people reading comments and predicting the outcome during transfer talks, I think that is crazy.  If Souness can bring players to the club then Keegan can regardless of what he says after playing Chelsea, what he's said will be forgotten by most fans in a week or two, players will forget it even sooner.

Aye but 'Souness' brought in players at a time when we were the only club outside the 'top 4' who could financially compete with them, we also had Europe and a decent record in recent history.

Contrast that now, and we are one of many clubs who can compete with the top 4 financially, we dont have Europe and we dont have a good recent record, we also dont have the 5th strongest squad out there like we did in those days. So we need to be able to sell the club as much as possible to potential targets, something which is a lot more difficult now when the clubs managers has openely said that its "impossible" to break the top 4 in the next 3 years.

Keegan's a f****** idiot for some of the comments he's come out with over the last few days.

was he an idiot when he went 7 games unbeaten,

He hadn't made them at the time so obviously not, he wasn't an idiot when we got bummed by the decent teams either before you start.

keegan knows what he is doing, we went through all this in 1992, then, 1st, 3rd, 6th, 2nd 2nd.

Means nowt though, does it? I reckon he'll do well here but he'll be bucking the trend of managers going back to old clubs if he does.

Walter Smith's doing alright like.

Yeah but it's the SPL tbh. :lol:

UEFA Cup final's a decent effort. I did know what alex meant though, I was just being facetious.  O0

So you think Keegan will say one thing to the fans, and then when talking to the player he'll big the club up saying that we're aiming for the champions league?

I think he'll tell the fans what he has and tell the potential signings that he'll be challenging for Europe, something which he clearly feels we can achieve as he's said that he's going to challenge for 5th place which will be our highest finish for years.

aye, you need a half decent set up to finish 5th like.

bluelaugh.gif

Aye but 'Souness' brought in players at a time when we were the only club outside the 'top 4' who could financially compete with them, we also had Europe and a decent record in recent history.

Contrast that now, and we are one of many clubs who can compete with the top 4 financially, we dont have Europe and we dont have a good recent record, we also dont have the 5th strongest squad out there like we did in those days. So we need to be able to sell the club as much as possible to potential targets, something which is a lot more difficult now when the clubs managers has openely said that its "impossible" to break the top 4 in the next 3 years.

I could have sworn that our last two knock backs were from players who were offered more to come here than to go elsewhere so we can clearly compete when money comes into it.

Souness did have Europe to offer but that was only during his first transfer window in January 2004, we also had players fighting on the pitch and Bellamy calling Souness a liar on TV, hardly anything to give potential signings a reason to sign for us.  We didn't have the 5th strongest squad either and Souness often complained that it was "paper thin." 

As for what he's said, he'll not be repeating that in negotiations, at least I very much doubt it.

I'm not saying we won't sign players that will improve us, I just think these latest comments have put the club in a bad light and he'd of been better off saying f*** all.

I don't see how the comments have put the club in a bad light, we'll go out next season to do our best in every competition and I don't think we'll lose a single possible incoming transfer because of what Keegan has said.

If Spurs tell a player they're aiming to get a champions league spot, and Newcastle tell the same player we won't be getting that spot, who do you think the player will choose? Who would you choose?

that much is obvious to a blind man. Keegan will also know the impact of what he said, so why do YOU think he said it and what does it mean

I could have sworn that our last two knock backs were from players who were offered more to come here than to go elsewhere so we can clearly compete when money comes into it.

Souness did have Europe to offer but that was only during his first transfer window in January 2004, we also had players fighting on the pitch and Bellamy calling Souness a liar on TV, hardly anything to give potential signings a reason to sign for us.  We didn't have the 5th strongest squad either and Souness often complained that it was "paper thin." 

As for what he's said, he'll not be repeating that in negotiations, at least I very much doubt it.

So whats your point? You said that if souness could sign players well then how why cant Keegan, well im saying the 2 situations of the clubs are completely imcomparable and that we arent negotiating in a position of strength like we were last time around.

Thats why i dont think its wise to release coments of such nature becasue they put a limit on the ambition of the club when really, there shouldnt be, and the fact that there is makes us instantly less appealing as a club, if we cant sell our ambition then what else do we have to sell?

I'm not saying we won't sign players that will improve us, I just think these latest comments have put the club in a bad light and he'd of been better off saying f*** all.

I don't see how the comments have put the club in a bad light, we'll go out next season to do our best in every competition and I don't think we'll lose a single possible incoming transfer because of what Keegan has said.

that much is obvious to a blind man. Keegan will also know the impact of what he said, so why do YOU think he said it and what does it mean

At least you've got your answer as to why players are turning us down for Spurs now.

bluelaugh.gif

I know what you're doing.  :lol:

aye, you need a half decent set up to finish 5th like.

bluelaugh.gif

What do you think about this season?

obviously not as good as those years we were 5th, should have done better, obviously