Where's the ambition?

bulivye

All I can say is that we wouldn't have had to play catch up behind the 'big four' if the people in charge at the club in the years 2003 and 2004 had made decent managerial appointments and backed the manager both by providing cash and not interfering in his decisions.

But the board offered more money to Woodgate and Modric so it can't be them who lack ambition, unless you thought they were unambitious giving Keegan the job?

Keegan on the other hand has come out and told everyone that we don't have a chance of cracking the top 4 no matter how much money he gets, where's his ambition there exactly?

first paragraph is something made up, if you can show that and believe it, it must mean that YOU don't want Keegan in the job. Me ? I'm more than happy and I'm more than confident he'll do the trick if he's backed.

2nd is utter bollocks, obviously.

I'll leave you now Matthew lad, you can argue with your mates on bebo, or search google on your phone while you;re in the pub, or something.

The first point is out of the Chelsea match programme, so how exactly are the board not showing ambition?

Having read both Mort's comments in the match programme and seem Keegan's interview after the game it looks like Keegan is the one who lacks ambition to me, he even says something along the lines of "The owner of this club thinks we can challenge the top4 next season, well we can't" Seems to me the board think we can push on but Keegan has said we can't no matter how much he has to spend.

Now off you go down Scarborough working men's club for a few John Smith's and to eye up the grannies in their wheelchairs.

I'll also direct the last question to you regarding finances.

As for recent silverware, how has that changed recently?

As for good recent history, what do you call recent?

Europe, that's been dealt with but the penny doesn't seem to have dropped for some reason.  I've already mentioned what Souness did when he was here and he only had Europe because of the manager before him and we only brought in Boumsong, Babayaro and Faye while we did have that.  After that we had a 14th position with a s**** manager and managed to bring in Owen, Parker, Luque and Emre.  All of these players were highly rated before they came here although not all worked out.

High profile manager, we've got one.

Undisputable ambition, Keegan has said that he is going for 5th place next season, how many other managers have come out this week and claimed that they were going for 5th or above?

I think you're missing the point and mis reading the question - what can we offer to attract players that the others cant, ie we are not the only ones who can offer finances now, we cant offer the lure of a recent cup win, the likes of which Pompey and Spurs can, we cant offer Europe the likes of Everton/Villa, Pompey or Spurs can, and our recent history, the history that would matter to a young up and coming player isnt good either, unlike Spurs, or unlike Everton, hell even this past season will put other clubs in better light than us....our only selling point would of been the unlimited ambition this club could have - remember Ashleys NOTW quotes. Well thats pretty much dampened now, do you see why we arent in a position of strength now?

As for Keegan being a big name, you are sadly mistaken, Keegan is a big name in our history in the same sense that Redknapp will be to Portsmouth.

How many managers have kept there mouth shut? Sven is onthe verge of being sacked becasue the CL is so important, Ramos has openely aimed for Clas has Moyes but they keep shut about it, no matter the reality.

but not managed the positions of the ex board yet, correct or not ? And trumped twice by Spurs [showing more ambition than us] for the first time in 20 years........correct ?

Don't answer if you can't, because you certainly won't tell everybody else that this is the truth.

Do you think something has happened over the last 10 months to cause the problem we now seem to have when trying to attract players?  Give it your best shot.

omg

All I can say is that we wouldn't have had to play catch up behind the 'big four' if the people in charge at the club in the years 2003 and 2004 had made decent managerial appointments and backed the manager both by providing cash and not interfering in his decisions.

Agreed.

But the board offered more money to Woodgate and Modric so it can't be them who lack ambition, unless you thought they were unambitious giving Keegan the job?

Keegan on the other hand has come out and told everyone that we don't have a chance of cracking the top 4 no matter how much money he gets, where's his ambition there exactly?

first paragraph is something made up, if you can show that and believe it, it must mean that YOU don't want Keegan in the job. Me ? I'm more than happy and I'm more than confident he'll do the trick if he's backed.

2nd is utter bollocks, obviously.

I'll leave you now Matthew lad, you can argue with your mates on bebo, or search google on your phone while you;re in the pub, or something.

The first point is out of the Chelsea match programme, so how exactly are the board not showing ambition?

Having read both Mort's comments in the match programme and seem Keegan's interview after the game it looks like Keegan is the one who lacks ambition to me, he even says something along the lines of "The owner of this club thinks we can challenge the top4 next season, well we can't" Seems to me the board think we can push on but Keegan has said we can't no matter how much he has to spend.

Now off you go down Scarborough working men's club for a few John Smith's and to eye up the grannies in their wheelchairs.

haven't been in a WMC for years Matthew lad

Can't imagine why anybody actually reads the match programme like ............  mackems.gif full of clueless propaganda junk.

get your facts right lad ........ how much money do you think they should have backed them with, and I hope you aren't criticising for going into this debt, while advocating spending more BTW

I think you're missing the point and mis reading the question - what can we offer to attract players that the others cant, ie we are not the only ones who can offer finances now, we cant offer the lure of a recent cup win, the likes of which Pompey and Spurs can, we cant offer Europe the likes of Everton/Villa, Pompey or Spurs can, and our recent history, the history that would matter to a young up and coming player isnt good either, unlike Spurs, or unlike Everton, hell even this past season will put other clubs in better light than us....our only selling point would of been the unlimited ambition this club could have - remember Ashleys NOTW quotes. Well thats pretty much dampened now, do you see why we arent in a position of strength now?

As for Keegan being a big name, you are sadly mistaken, Keegan is a big name in our history in the same sense that Redknapp will be to Portsmouth.

How many managers have kept there mouth shut? Sven is onthe verge of being sacked becasue the CL is so important, Ramos has openely aimed for Clas has Moyes but they keep shut about it, no matter the reality.

I don't think I am missing the point, since 1969 we've been unable to offer anybody a recent history of winning anything yet we've still attracted players right up until this time, regardless of what others have done in that time.  We've been able to attract players while we've has poor managers and other clubs have had good managers and we have got financial clout as we're still outbidding our competitors.

For some reason we've lost out on two possible transfers but things like that have happened all of the time, we'll also sign some players and hopefully we'll attract some good ones, I doubt a single player will turn us down because of what Keegan has said.

Keegan has been England manager, I'll stand by my thinking that he'd come into the category of being a big name.

get your facts right lad ........ how much money do you think they should have backed them with, and I hope you aren't criticising for going into this debt, while advocating spending more BTW

http://www.football.co.uk/newcastle_united/magpies_planning_more_spending_179872.shtml

Newcastle are reported to have made a £5million offer for Benfica's Portuguese international Miguel, but Shepherd insists that manager Sir Bobby Robson has other options in mind to fill his problem position.

"We're nearly there but I think it's no secret to anybody that we're looking to strengthen the defence," Shepherd told Sky Sports News.

"We've got four weeks before the transfer window closes and we're trying.

"We'll tell you if we're successful. Benfica put that out (the reported £5 million bid for Miguel). We won't discuss it unless we're successful.

"Of course (Robson wants him). He's a good player but I keep saying to everybody there's always another car in another lot. There's other right backs out there."

So there, an example where Shepherd failed to meet a valuation for a player, and instead went for a cheap deal in Carr, who as Spurs fans will tell you, they wanted rid at the time. In fact, judging from the bit in bold, Shepherd had already made up his mind that he was going cheap with his right backs. What a success that turned out to be. Meanwhile Miguel remains renowned as one of the best full backs out there.

Shepherd also admitted that it was a relief to finally sign Butt after a lengthy chase.

"He (Butt) is a class act, for sure, and the one Bobby wanted. We've got him and we're sure he's going to perform for us," he added.

"It's been ongoing for some time, I wouldn't like to say exactly how long it is, but it has been some time.

"He will fit in because he's a holding, defensive player. He's experienced and he's the right age, 29, and I'm sure the Geordie supporters will love him."

Lies according to Sir Bobby Robson, who instead wanted to sign a local lad in Michael Carrick for £500k but was overruled. As you should know, Carrick is now an £18m England international playing regular games for Manchester United. What a shame Shepherd didn't want toback Robson's footballing expertise.

I don't think I am missing the point, since 1969 we've been unable to offer anybody a recent history of winning anything yet we've still attracted players right up until this time, regardless of what others have done in that time.  We've been able to attract players while we've has poor managers and other clubs have had good managers and we have got financial clout as we're still outbidding our competitors.

tripe.

How many players did we sign from top division clubs ie other than "bargain" players from the lower leagues, between 1969 and 1993 ?

And how many of our best players wanted to leave as a result, where did they go, and how were they replaced.

You want facts do you mick, its all yours.

Lies according to Sir Bobby Robson, who instead wanted to sign a local lad in Michael Carrick for £500k but was overruled. As you should know, Carrick is now an £18m England international playing regular games for Manchester United. What a shame Shepherd didn't want toback Robson's footballing expertise.

James, will you ever learn?  Stuff like that never, ever, ever gets a response.

http://www.football.co.uk/newcastle_united/magpies_planning_more_spending_179872.shtml

Newcastle are reported to have made a £5million offer for Benfica's Portuguese international Miguel, but Shepherd insists that manager Sir Bobby Robson has other options in mind to fill his problem position.

"We're nearly there but I think it's no secret to anybody that we're looking to strengthen the defence," Shepherd told Sky Sports News.

"We'll tell you if we're successful. Benfica put that out (the reported £5 million bid for Miguel). We won't discuss it unless we're successful.

"Of course (Robson wants him). He's a good player but I keep saying to everybody there's always another car in another lot. There's other right backs out there."

So there, an example where Shepherd failed to meet a valuation for a player, and instead went for a cheap deal in Carr, who as Spurs fans will tell you, they wanted rid at the time. In fact, judging from the bit in bold, Shepherd had already made up his mind that he was going cheap with his right backs. What a success that turned out to be. Meanwhile Miguel remains renowned as one of the best full backs out there.

Shepherd also admitted that it was a relief to finally sign Butt after a lengthy chase.

"He (Butt) is a class act, for sure, and the one Bobby wanted. We've got him and we're sure he's going to perform for us," he added.

"It's been ongoing for some time, I wouldn't like to say exactly how long it is, but it has been some time.

"He will fit in because he's a holding, defensive player. He's experienced and he's the right age, 29, and I'm sure the Geordie supporters will love him."

So, having spent millions to get back into the Champions League, you are advocating spending more than the club had to spend are you ?

Carrick was at West Ham and cost a lot more than 500k by the way. We missed the boat on Carrick due to not having a youth system. Which was corrected and rebuilt when Shepherd was chairman, which had been needed for about 80 years, the same as the stadium expansion, but don't let the facts get in the way of your point of view.

Whats your opinion on backing Robsons expertise when it came to buying Cort, Cordone, Gavilan, Lua Lua, Ambrose, Bellamy, Robert, Jenas, O'Brien, Bramble, Viana, Woodgate, Bassedas, Acuna, Bowyer, Milner........

So, having spent millions to get back into the Champions League, you are advocating spending more than the club had to spend are you ?

Carrick was at West Ham and cost a lot more than 500k by the way. We missed the boat on Carrick due to not having a youth system. Which was corrected and rebuilt when Shepherd was chairman, which had been needed for about 80 years, the same as the stadium expansion, but don't let the facts get in the way of your point of view.

Benfica sold Miguel for £6m. Given how much money Shepherd threw around the following summer (unless of course you don't advocate the debt that this caused), I reckon he could have found the funds if he wanted.

Carrick went to Spurs the next season for £2.75m when West Ham had greater financial stability and carrick's stock had risen, so £500k was the valuation. £500k or £2.75m is no difference in the end. Shame we didn't get him as a youngster, but that is no excuse for missing the boat a second time.

I don't think I am missing the point, since 1969 we've been unable to offer anybody a recent history of winning anything yet we've still attracted players right up until this time, regardless of what others have done in that time. We've been able to attract players while we've has poor managers and other clubs have had good managers and we have got financial clout as we're still outbidding our competitors.

For some reason we've lost out on two possible transfers but things like that have happened all of the time, we'll also sign some players and hopefully we'll attract some good ones, I doubt a single player will turn us down because of what Keegan has said.

Keegan has been England manager, I'll stand by my thinking that he'd come into the category of being a big name.

I feel like we are arguing 2 different things- your point was that Keegans quotes will make no difference, then you point to how Souness was able sign players, ignoring the fact that nufc 2004 are completely incomaprable to nufc 2008. All im saying is that at that time we had a lot more going for us thn we do now.

You look at that chaising pack

Everton, Villa, Spurs, Man City, Portsmouth and finally us, well we are at the very bottom of that pack with regards to a number factors that might attract a player, the only thing we could of offered is finance (which many other clubs have) and the appeal of unlimited ambition. Thats it, players arent primarily interested in stadiums, or number of fans, they are interested in money, oppurtunity of silverware, current standings of the clubs high profile managers these are things which we lack and for Keegan to come out and dampen our ambition is a little misguided if you ask me.

As for Keegan being abig name because he managed England - well are you sure you want to go down that route??

Benfica sold Miguel for £6m. Given how much money Shepherd threw around the following summer (unless of course you don't advocate the debt that this caused), I reckon he could have found the funds if he wanted.

Carrick went to Spurs the next season for £2.75m when West Ham had greater financial stability and carrick's stock had risen, so £500k was the valuation. £500k or £2.75m is no difference in the end. Shame we didn't get him as a youngster, but that is no excuse for missing the boat a second time.

I edited the post and added lots of players Robson brought to the club with the backing of the board. Do you seriously think that EVERY manager buys EVERY player he wants ?

I'm pleased you admit you advocate spending money that the club didn't have, I don't expect to see you criticise them for this in future.

tripe.

How many players did we sign from top division clubs ie other than "bargain" player from the lower leagues, between 1969 and 1993 ?

And how many of our best players wanted to leave as a result, where did they go, and how were they replaced.

Your stupid repetitive question is irrelevant, the point is that we've won nothing since 1969 and it hasn't stopped us from signing players.  We even signed your favourite player and a player who became your favourite manager, the then England captain between 1969 and 1993. 

I edited the post and added lots of players Robson brought to the club with the backing of the board. Do you seriously think that EVERY manager buys EVERY player he wants ?

I'm pleased you admit you advocate spending money that the club didn't have, I don't expect to see you criticise them for this in future.

James isnt on about SBR getting backing for every single player, James is on about the interferences of signings that Shepherd had and Miguel/ Carr and Carrick/ Butt come to mind as players that Shepherd signed when the other option would of been better. Its something which seemed to occur in the Souness period as well...

As for your next bit, so its wrong to criticise the board for not spending decent amount after CL qualification having had 'no money'  and its wrong to criticize the board for spending £50m the very next season on players which turned out to be crap, some of which were singed in contreversioal circumstances. ie shepherds signings.

I feel like we are arguing 2 different things- your point was that Keegans quotes will make no difference, then you point to how Souness was able sign players, ignoring the fact that nufc 2004  are completely incomaprable to nufc 2008. All im saying is that at that time we had a lot more going for us thn we do now.

Everton, Villa, Spurs, Man City, Portsmouth and finally us, well we are at the very bottom of that pack with regards to a number factors that might attract a player, the only thing we could of offered is finance (which many other clubs have) and the appeal of unlimited ambition. Thats it, players arent primarily interested in stadiums, or number of fans, they are interested in money, oppurtunity of silverware, current standings of the clubs high profile managers these are things which we lack and for Keegan to come out and dampen our ambition is a little misguided if you ask me.

As for Keegan being abig name because he managed England - well are you sure you want to go down that route??

NUFC in 2004 were 14th in the league so the opportunity of silverware wasn't as good as it is now although the difference in negligible but it still exists.  I'm struggling how you can use money as an issue since we've been turned down by 2 players who were offered more to come here but chose not to for whatever reason.  As for Keegan and England, he was given that job on merit and people will know him because of it.  Keegan being out of the game for 3 years will not change the fact that he’s a big name manager.

I feel like we are arguing 2 different things- your point was that Keegans quotes will make no difference, then you point to how Souness was able sign players, ignoring the fact that nufc 2004  are completely incomaprable to nufc 2008. All im saying is that at that time we had a lot more going for us thn we do now.

NUFC in 2004 were 14th in the league so the opportunity of silverware wasn't as good as it is now although the difference in negligible but it still exists.  I'm struggling how you can use money as an issue since we've been turned down by 2 players who were offered more to come here but chose not to for whatever reason.  As for Keegan and England, he was given that job on merit and people will know him because of it.  Keegan being out of the game for 3 years will not change the fact that hes a big name manager.

He's not some journeyman Spanish manager though is he, which appears to be what some people would prefer.

We missed the boat on Carrick due to not having a youth system.

Wrong. We missed out on Carrick because Alan Irvine did not want any of the pre-Acadmeny boys playing for boys clubs it was Newcastle United or the boys club.  Carricks dad has always been a great believer & tireless volunteer to Wallsend boys club, so Michael rightly stuck with the boys club.

tripe.

How many players did we sign from top division clubs ie other than "bargain" player from the lower leagues, between 1969 and 1993 ?

Your stupid repetitive question is irrelevant, the point is that we've won nothing since 1969 and it hasn't stopped us from signing players.  We even signed your favourite player and a player who became your favourite manager, the then England captain between 1969 and 1993. 

so you aren't going to reply then ?

Give us amounts, figures, to gauge the ambition and desire to succeed of the club. Of course they signed some good players, but obviously not enough.

Why did we sell 3 England players, why did they go, who replaced them ?

By the way, my "favourite" player isn't who you think.

Finishing in the top 5 places for a consistent period needs more top players than challenging for promotion from the 2nd division.

I knew you would not reply to this, and you never will, because you can't. The vast majority of players we bought during those years were from outside the top league in the hope they would be "bargains" yet you imply differently.

Well done for making up the biggest load of tosh I've ever seen on here.

We missed the boat on Carrick due to not having a youth system.

Wrong. We missed out on Carrick because Alan Irvine did not want any of the pre-Acadmeny boys playing for boys clubs it was Newcastle United or the boys club.  Carricks dad has always been a great believer & tireless volunteer to Wallsend boys club, so Michael rightly stuck with the boys club.

that may be true mate, I'll ask him to clarify when I see him in a few weeks time. Main point is it wasn't Shepherds fault despite someone else making something up, again.