Clear the Air Talks ?

NE5

Guest JamesD

If Wise is going to be at the meeting, which was reported in the Chronicle, then I really don't see how this meeting is anything besides a discussion of plans for the off season.

Not sure why Ashley would be there if that's the case.

Well, he is the owner and after the sacking of Allardyce he said that he wanted to have a more active role within the club.  It makes sense that he would want to be present in such a meeting.

If Wise is going to be at the meeting, which was reported in the Chronicle, then I really don't see how this meeting is anything besides a discussion of plans for the off season.

Well, he is the owner and after the sacking of Allardyce he said that he wanted to have a more active role within the club.  It makes sense that he would want to be present in such a meeting.

The meeting about players apparently took place a few weeks back according to Keegan, also Ashley hasn't shown any interest in taking a hands on role in the club since those comments.

The meeting is likely to be Ashley asking Keegan if he's got a problem with the direction the club is going and for him to air any opinions he doesn't agree with, if he's really lucky Ashley might give him his phone number to stop him moaning.

The meeting about players apparently took place a few weeks back according to Keegan, also Ashley hasn't shown any interest in taking a hands on role in the club since those comments.

The meeting is likely to be Ashley asking Keegan if he's got a problem with the direction the club is going and for him to air any opinions he doesn't agree with, if he's really lucky Ashley might give him his phone number to stop him moaning.

I get that feeling too, cant see why the media wouldnt be allowed to ask questions about this meeting if it was just a standard meeting.

Guest JamesD

ah, must have missed that meeting.

I get that feeling too, cant see why the media wouldnt be allowed to ask questions about this meeting if it was just a standard meeting.

i don't think ashley would make Keegan hold his pre-match press conference a day in advance if it was just a standard meeting. had it been i'm sure it would've been scheduled around other things, rather than quickly arranged like this.

Because they spin everything into shit like some kind of Rumplescatkin and Keegan was probably mortified at what happened after his post match comments.

Because they spin everything into s*** like some kind of Rumplescatkin and Keegan was probably mortified at what happened after his post match comments.

Which adds more evidence to the fact that this meeting is no standard meeting like is being sugessted in some quarters.

Guest alex

Keegan primed for Ashley summit

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan says he is looking forward to his meeting with owner Mike Ashley in London on Friday.

The pair's relationship is reported to have soured after Keegan claimed that Newcastle were unlikely to break into top four during his time in charge.

But Keegan said: "I am going to London on Friday to talk with Mike Ashley. That is a good thing and I will look forward to it.

"That's the only comment I am going to make on anything to do with that."

A pre-match press conference ahead of Newcastle's Premier League match at Everton was brought forward 24 hours to pre-empt questions on the meeting.

"This is a pre-match conference for the game against Everton and that's all I'm going to talk about from now on," added the 57-year-old, who rejoined Newcastle four months ago.

"Any other questions, they'll save for another day and I will try on that day, whenever it is, to answer them as honestly as I can.

"I know people might be disappointed by me saying we might not win the league, but there would be a real danger of me being whipped off to the old nuthouse if I started saying that.

"There is a big gulf and it has been well documented, not just by myself but by many, many other people in the game whose opinions are respected."

Speculation continues over Keegan's future at St James' Park after the manager's comments following Newcastle's 2-0 defeat to Chelsea on Monday.

Keegan claimed the Premier League would continue to be dominated by Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

"Maybe the owner thinks we can bridge that gap - but we can't," said Keegan after the match.

"This league is in danger of becoming one of the most boring but great leagues in the world."

Keegan, who turned Newcastle into title contenders when he managed them from February 1992 until January 1997, has been promised funds to attract big-name signings in the summer.

But he has repeatedly indicated his dissatisfaction that striker Michael Owen has not been tied down to a new contract, while he has also sarcastically said his relationship with his billionaire owner was good because they never spoke.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7390139.stm

F**k me I love how the press tend to infect our supporters into thinking of conspiracy theories/hidden agendas/club politics.

And I love the joys of forums to comment on the media hype and surrounding tosh in comments that comes with it.  (i'll probably get a few 'if you dont like it you dont have to be on here' comments from saying that too).

My two penneth - Keegan should not have said what he said in public as it causes all this sort of bollocks from fans & press alike.  But what he said is so true everyone should realise that all he was doing was telling the truth.

The rearranged press conference is due to the meeting taking place tomorrow, clubs often move press conferences around for one reason or another, we just dont hear about it because a. they dont get the media coverage we do and b. we couldnt give a shit about another club.

The meeting tomorrow has likely been planned for a number of days, and is hardly a crisis meeting, more an allignment of ideas/plans and a discussion about the summer.  I'd be very suprised if it ended up anything more.  Keegan has asked for an idea of how much he has to spend, and he will no doubt get told tomorrow.  Once again, alot of clubs have these meetings, but what I said above applies to those also.

Once again we have the case of the press taking something Keegan said (an honest and respected manager in footballing circles) on Monday and spinning it 180 degrees to make it into something it is not.   (see headlines by the Sun & Daily Mirror today - non of which state any facts, direct quotes and are all based on 'ifs, buts and maybes')

As Public Enemy once said 'Don't believe the hype!'  

All of this (including what I have written) is speculation, that is the joy (and frustration) of football and journalism.  

Its called selling papers/tickets.

Stop all this bollocks about - 'the way it seems is' - 'by keegans reaction i think this' etc

Lets wait and see what happens tomorrow and keep the faith.  

Probably the most important statement Keegan made was that he had a good relationship with Mike Ashley - he never speaks to him!  Surely that set the whole ball rolling.....

Guest toonlass

How do we know they are "crisis talks" or "clear the air talks". None of us (or indeed the media) were present when the meeting was scheduled. Perhaps, this was the only time that all three could get together. Just because the press conference was brought forward does not mean that this is nothing more than a standard meeting, and why the hell should Keegan discuss what it is about with the gutter press. They would just make up shite anyway.

F**k me I love how the press tend to infect our supporters into thinking of conspiracy theories/hidden agendas/club politics.

And I love the joys of forums to comment on the media hype and surrounding tosh in comments that comes with it.  (i'll probably get a few 'if you dont like it you dont have to be on here' comments from saying that too).

My two penneth - Keegan should not have said what he said in public as it causes all this sort of bollocks from fans & press alike.  But what he said is so true everyone should realise that all he was doing was telling the truth.

The rearranged press conference is due to the meeting taking place tomorrow, clubs often move press conferences around for one reason or another, we just dont hear about it because a. they dont get the media coverage we do and b. we couldnt give a s*** about another club.

The meeting tomorrow has likely been planned for a number of days, and is hardly a crisis meeting, more an allignment of ideas/plans and a discussion about the summer.  I'd be very suprised if it ended up anything more.  Keegan has asked for an idea of how much he has to spend, and he will no doubt get told tomorrow.  Once again, alot of clubs have these meetings, but what I said above applies to those also.

Once again we have the case of the press taking something Keegan said (an honest and respected manager in footballing circles) on Monday and spinning it 180 degrees to make it into something it is not.   (see headlines by the Sun & Daily Mirror today - non of which state any facts, direct quotes and are all based on 'ifs, buts and maybes')

All of this (including what I have written) is speculation, that is the joy (and frustration) of football and journalism.  

Stop all this bollocks about - 'the way it seems is' - 'by keegans reaction i think this' etc

Whats the point of an interent forum if we should all take the approach that the "media are shit" and "we should sit back and see what happens". Seems pretty boring to me.

I like how you lambast thoses who speculate on the recent events then go and do the exact same thing yourself..,ie speculate that this is a nothing meeting  even though your opinion is nothing more than supposition and has the absolute equal weight of evidence as the ones you criticize/belittle.

Guest optimistic nit

what rubbish.

what rubbish.

care to elaborate?

So the story the media are pushing about this meeting is that Mike Ashley is going to sack Keegan for daring to suggest that Newcastle won't break into the top 4 in the next two seasons?

I don't think any of them said he was going to be sacked, not the articles I've read anyway.

i don't think ashley would make Keegan hold his pre-match press conference a day in advance if it was just a standard meeting. had it been i'm sure it would've been scheduled around other things, rather than quickly arranged like this.

Ashley is a busy man, for instance not being able to see Keegan until a week after we first approached him.

A thought just occurred to me - perhaps all the newspapers got this 'Big Meeting' story from the Newcastle Press Office, who had contacted the media to inform them of the rescheduled press conference.

And I love the joys of forums to comment on the media hype and surrounding tosh in comments that comes with it.  (i'll probably get a few 'if you dont like it you dont have to be on here' comments from saying that too).

The rearranged press conference is due to the meeting taking place tomorrow, clubs often move press conferences around for one reason or another, we just dont hear about it because a. they dont get the media coverage we do and b. we couldnt give a s*** about another club.

The meeting tomorrow has likely been planned for a number of days, and is hardly a crisis meeting, more an allignment of ideas/plans and a discussion about the summer.  I'd be very suprised if it ended up anything more.  Keegan has asked for an idea of how much he has to spend, and he will no doubt get told tomorrow.  Once again, alot of clubs have these meetings, but what I said above applies to those also.

All of this (including what I have written) is speculation,[/b] that is the joy (and frustration) of football and journalism.  

Whats the point of an interent forum if we should all take the approach that the "media are s***" and "we should sit back and see what happens". Seems pretty boring to me.

I like how you lambast thoses who speculate on the recent events then go and do the exact same thing yourself..,ie speculate that this is a nothing meeting  even though your opinion is nothing more than supposition and has the absolute equal weight of evidence as the ones you criticize/belittle.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I'm speculating....

I'm mearly stating that some of the comments on this forum have been very much influenced by the medias spin on things and are generally more negative than is required.  My speculative remarks are purely based on quotes from Keegan/Ashley/Mort and all the press coverage, as to assertain my opinion.

I enjoy these boards, they give me a laugh at times, but they can also affect how we are percieved by the media.  Do you not think journalists check out these threads when something untoward kicks off at the club?  The slightest sniff of blood and they are all over the net searching for peoples opinions, and are often justified in some of the comments they come out with regarding the 'majority of newcastle fans'.  They read some of the shite that is spewed on forums across the globe...ignore positive threads and lap up the negative ones - it helps them sleep at night. 

I love propaganda me. 

Well, anyhow, no doubt we will know what the ACTUAL story is come tomorrow or the day after.

I wish we had a boring club at times... :frantic:

Manager makes public statements

Owner takes exception to, or wants clarification of said statements

Owner and manager meet to discuss.

Both leave the meeting on the same page.

End of story.  Nipped in the bud.  Well done.

This. I don't think we have anything to worry about personally.

All of this (including what I have written) is speculation,[/b] that is the joy (and frustration) of football and journalism.  

Whats the point of an interent forum if we should all take the approach that the "media are s***" and "we should sit back and see what happens". Seems pretty boring to me.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I'm speculating....

I'm mearly stating that some of the comments on this forum have been very much influenced by the medias spin on things and are generally more negative than is required.  My speculative remarks are purely based on quotes from Keegan/Ashley/Mort and all the press coverage, as to assertain my opinion.

I enjoy these boards, they give me a laugh at times, but they can also affect how we are percieved by the media.  Do you not think journalists check out these threads when something untoward kicks off at the club?  The slightest sniff of blood and they are all over the net searching for peoples opinions, and are often justified in some of the comments they come out with regarding the 'majority of newcastle fans'.  They read some of the s**** that is spewed on forums across the globe...ignore positive threads and lap up the negative ones - it helps them sleep at night. 

I love propaganda me. 

Well, anyhow, no doubt we will know what the ACTUAL story is come tomorrow or the day after.

I wish we had a boring club at times... :frantic:

Fair point and yeh it does occur to me that the media read in on this, but what can you do? There was a 10 page thread about his comments even before the media had chance to stick their proverbial wooden spoons in which goes to show that its impossible to avoid and entirely acceptable to specualte and break down what he's said, this is football.

If it was the chairman or the owner who had come out with those comments would we be getting the same respones on these boards - would you still have a "lets sit back and wait attitude"??  i very much doubt it.

If it was the chairman or the owner who had come out with those comments would we be getting the same respones on these boards - would you still have a "lets sit back and wait attitude"??  i very much doubt it.

People would be saying they lacked ambition.

People would be saying they lacked ambition.

.....and they'd be right no matter how realistic the opinion is/was.

That Sap Blatter bloke or what ever they call him, (the fifa president or something) actually summed the situation up spot on. He wants a limit on foreigners in the EPL etc, because, "Most of the money comes from the Champions league, this year we had 4 English teams in the quater finals, 3 in the semi finals and now we have an all English final. All that is happening is that the rich are getting richer and making it impossible for other teams to break through"

That is what Keegan is saying. Because of the success of the big  4 in the champions league they are getting more and more money pumped into them and so the gap widens even further. Without an Abramovich type throw 600mil at it no one will break into that top four. What was the Chelsea subs bench worth on Saturday? As much as our team I think or even squad. Until the playing field is levelled a bit it will only get worse. Ashley needs to understand that.