The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At 27 he had been pretty much unheard of before the season just gone, now he has played very well in a poor Russian side, he has stood out but has he stood out enough? Any player is a risk but he could be a massive one.

His price tag may put other clubs off him well clubs such as Arsenal but Chelski will pay anything for anyone just to stop other clubs buying them. I am not convinced Ashely would pay big money for him even if we did have a chance of getting him. All this do not buy on the back of a good International performance is dead right and although he has been okay for Zenit they are not a top team in a  top league. Maybe common sense should rule  in this one.

Who would you buy then? And at which price?

:lol:

It does matter who we look at the price is goign to be big, same with Turan, his price will be massive now to. We bought the top young exciting midfilder before and look what happened there.

I would love Arshavin here and Turan but I do not want the club to waste weeks on trying to get players we probably have no chance of getting anyway.

Make the offer and leave it that if we are lucky enough to get them then great but if we waste time and get nowhere then what?

The club and the fans have to be ralistic about this..

Guest BigAl2

At 27 he had been pretty much unheard of before the season just gone, now he has played very well in a poor Russian side, he has stood out but has he stood out enough? Any player is a risk but he could be a massive one.

His price tag may put other clubs off him well clubs such as Arsenal but Chelski will pay anything for anyone just to stop other clubs buying them. I am not convinced Ashely would pay big money for him even if we did have a chance of getting him. All this do not buy on the back of a good International performance is dead right and although he has been okay for Zenit they are not a top team in a  top league. Maybe common sense should rule  in this one.

Who would you buy then? And at which price?

:lol:

It does matter who we look at the price is goign to be big, same with Turan, his price will be massive now to. We bought the top young exciting midfilder before and look what happened there.

I would love Arshavin here and Turan but I do not want the club to waste weeks on trying to get players we probably have no chance of getting anyway.

Make the offer and leave it that if we are lucky enough to get them then great but if we waste time and get nowhere then what?

The club and the fans have to be ralistic about this..

I don't think we stand any chance now of landing Arshavin, all players are a risk but Arshavin is a quality player that would light up any team.

One thing I hate about Arshavin, is that all the Swedish media spells his name Arsjavin, I just can't get my head around it. It quite clearly says Arshavin on the back of his shirt, yet they all continue to wright with a j.  :idiot2:

One thing I hate about Arshavin, is that all the Swedish media spells his name Arsjavin, I just can't get my head around it. It quite clearly says Arshavin on the back of his shirt, yet they all continue to wright with a j.  :idiot2:

What really gets me about the Swedes, something I really can't get my heard around, it's the way the spell write, as in to "wright." When quite clearly it's write. Yet they still all continue to use wright.

What really gets me about the Swedes, something I really can't get my heard around, it's the way the spell write, as in to "wright." When quite clearly it's write. Yet they still all continue to use wright.

Fuck :lol:

:)

Zenit St Petersburg coach Dick Advocaat is resigned to losing Russia playmaker Andrei Arshavin to a top English or Spanish club after Euro 2008.

Arshavin, 27, has starred in Russia's run to the semi-finals and informed Advocaat beforehand he wanted a move.

"I can understand that he wants to play in Europe," Advocaat told BBC 5 Live.

"I think he has some clubs in his mind, some in England and others in Spain, because they are the only two countries he would like to play in."

Arshavin helped Zenit win the Uefa Cup last season and, after being suspended for Russia's opening two games at Euro 2008, has returned to mesmerising

He helped them beat Sweden to reach the quarter-finals and then inspired a surprise 3-1 extra-time victory over the Netherlands.

Arsenal and Chelsea have already been linked with Russia's maestro but he would apparently favour a move to Spain and Advocaat believes he would succeed wherever he decided to go.

"We had a meeting and he said at his age this is the time to move on," Advocaat said. "It is difficult to say which league would suit him best. We play more or less 4-3-3 and our wide players have a lot of freedom.

"I'm not sure other coaches will give him the freedom but you have to otherwise it's difficult to use him. He needs the freedom to do what he thinks is best for the team.

"I have worked with him for two years and he is a very talented player.

"He's just turned 27, he's very quick, he has an excellent shot on both legs and besides scoring he can also provide for other players."

From BBC; some direct quotes from his current club manager.

Zenit St Petersburg coach Dick Advocaat is resigned to losing Russia playmaker Andrei Arshavin to a top English or Spanish club after Euro 2008.

Arshavin, 27, has starred in Russia's run to the semi-finals and informed Advocaat beforehand he wanted a move.

"I think he has some clubs in his mind, some in England and others in Spain, because they are the only two countries he would like to play in."

Arshavin helped Zenit win the Uefa Cup last season and, after being suspended for Russia's opening two games at Euro 2008, has returned to mesmerising

He helped them beat Sweden to reach the quarter-finals and then inspired a surprise 3-1 extra-time victory over the Netherlands.

Arsenal and Chelsea have already been linked with Russia's maestro but he would apparently favour a move to Spain and Advocaat believes he would succeed wherever he decided to go.

"We had a meeting and he said at his age this is the time to move on," Advocaat said. "It is difficult to say which league would suit him best. We play more or less 4-3-3 and our wide players have a lot of freedom.

"I'm not sure other coaches will give him the freedom but you have to otherwise it's difficult to use him. He needs the freedom to do what he thinks is best for the team.

"He's just turned 27, he's very quick, he has an excellent shot on both legs and besides scoring he can also provide for other players."

That was one of the things I was trying to say the other day, I didn't see him bothering to hold a particular position on the pitch and this is important when defending the ball. A big club may sign him but not get the best of him without compromising in other areas, whereas Newcastle could stick two defensive players into the midfield and build the team around his individual brilliance.

He is in the Le Tissier, Kinkladze, Berkovic, Juninho category. Brilliant, but not one for a bigger team.

Guest BigAl2

That was one of the things I was trying to say the other day, I didn't see him bothering to hold a particular position on the pitch and this is important when defending the ball. A big club may sign him but not get the best of him without compromising in other areas, whereas Newcastle could stick two defensive players into the midfield and build the team around his individual brilliance.

He is in the Le Tissier, Kinkladze, Berkovic, Juninho category. Brilliant, but not one for a bigger team.

I couldn't disagree more he is one of the best players I have seen in the last 10 years and is in a different class to any of the guys you have named.

Ok in football you have to defend but you also have to give the opposition something to worry about and Arshavin with his pace, passing, dribbling, crossing ability does this in abundance.

If you look at England this is where we fall short yes we are well organised and work hard but with the exception of Rooney (on occasion) who do the other teams fear when they have the ball?

What if we have already made our offer for him and have been told the he has no interest in joining us? Do we just leave the offer on the table.

Its funny though how yesterday Arshavin says he wants to play in Spain only and now today Dick Advocaat comes out and says he has talked to Arshavin and he will play in Spain or England.

Club trying to get as many bids in as possible..

Sounds like he likes to play in the role Owen was last season?  Thoughts?

Owen is a striker, Arshavin is a midfielder. Owen was dropping deep where as Arshavin makes runs from deep.

Although they sound the same, they are in fact different. If it was my choice i'd play him in a midfield three and let him have a free roam.

Owen is a striker, Arshavin is a midfielder. Owen was dropping deep where as Arshavin makes runs from deep.

Although they sound the same, they are in fact different. If it was my choice i'd play him in a midfield three and let him have a free roam.

That would work with 2 DCM and Arshavin infront of them then the three strikers.

That would work with 2 DCM and Arshavin infront of them then the three strikers.

Precisely, it would be this.... in theory :

Barton    Butt    Arshavin

Owen      Viduka          Martins

With Owen dropping deep, allowing Martins and Viduka the space and Arshavin creating freely from midfield.

BTW, this is not a representation of my opinion of whether we will get him or the other players in the team will be here next season.

With Owen dropping deep, allowing Martins and Viduka the space and Arshavin creating freely from midfield.

BTW, this is not a representation of my opinion of whether we will get him or the other players in the team will be here next season.

More of a...

-------------------Given

Beye----Taylor---------??-------Enrique

-----------------Faye

-----Butt-----------------Arshavin

----Martins------------------Zoggy

-----------------Owen

or

-------------------Given

-----------------Faye

-----Milner-----------------Zoggy

---------------Arshavin

------Owen-----------------Martins

More of a...

-------------------Given

-----------------Faye

-----Butt-----------------Arshavin

----Martins------------------Zoggy

-----------------Owen

That would never work :D

:lol: just added the one I would prefer for all out attack!!!!

-------------------Given

Beye----Taylor---------??--------Enrique

------------------Faye

-----Milner--------------------Zoggy

----------------Arshavin

-----Owen------------------Martins

-------------------Given

------------------Faye

----------------Arshavin

With 10 men :) You're pretty confident in the lads then?

I couldn't disagree more he is one of the best players I have seen in the last 10 years and is in a different class to any of the guys you have named.

Ok in football you have to defend but you also have to give the opposition something to worry about and Arshavin with his pace, passing, dribbling, crossing ability does this in abundance.

If you look at England this is where we fall short yes we are well organised and work hard but with the exception of Rooney (on occasion) who do the other teams fear when they have the ball?

Perhaps he is better than the players I've named, but in my view, Dick Advocaat's view, the view of Zenit's ex-captain, he is an individual, a maestro, just like the players I've named. you'll get the best out of Arshavin by making him the first name on the teamsheet and getting the rest of the side to play around him.

At the larger clubs, his value as an individual is diminished and he'll be expected to play as part of the team/unit, and I do not think that will have any positive impact on his performances.

As I see it, Arshavin is worth over £15m to us, Everton, Manchester City, yet he is worth less than half than that to the Top Four.

This doesn't mean that he won't sign for a bigger club, but it would be a big mistake for both him and the purchaser.

-------------------Given

------------------Faye

----------------Arshavin

With 10 men :) You're pretty confident in the lads then?

Thats 10 and a question mark :lol: just shows how desperate we are for a new CB or three

In a different class to Juninho? You sure?

Guest BigAl2

Zenit St Petersburg coach Dick Advocaat is resigned to losing Russia playmaker Andrei Arshavin to a top English or Spanish clu

b after Euro 2008.

Perhaps he is better than the players I've named, but in my view, Dick Advocaat's view, the view of Zenit's ex-captain, he is an individual, a maestro, just like the players I've named. you'll get the best out of Arshavin by making him the first name on the teamsheet and getting the rest of the side to play around him.

At the larger clubs, his value as an individual is diminished and he'll be expected to play as part of the team/unit, and I do not think that will have any positive impact on his performances.

As I see it, Arshavin is worth over £15m to us, Everton, Manchester City, yet he is worth less than half than that to the Top Four.

This doesn't mean that he won't sign for a bigger club, but it would be a big mistake for both him and the purchaser.

The best players that have ever played the game have been individuals/maestros Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Zidane, Ronaldos you can't teach these guys how to play football they just go out and trouble the opposition with there unique ability and vision whilst the rest of the team do the marking and the tackling and get the ball to the star player to do there stuff and open up the opposition.

I wouldn't put Arshavin in this company yet but I honestly believe that he would improve any squad in the world and that includes the top 4 in the premiership.

Guest BigAl2

Yes as much as I enjoyed watching Juninho I can't remember him being the difference for Brazil in a major tournament the way Arshavin has been for Russia.

Holland were the team everyone was talking about and rightly so with very good players like Schnejder, VDV, Robben, Van Persie, RVN, Arshavin out performed them all on the night and was the difference, it remains to be seen if he can do it in the semi and hopefully in the final (having put a bet on Russia before the Euros started) but I love the way he plays and really think that he will go onto be a truly massive player for the next few years.

Yes as much as I enjoyed watching Juninho I can't remember him being the difference for Brazil in a major tournament the way Arshavin has been for Russia.

Holland were the team everyone was talking about and rightly so with very good players like Schnejder, VDV, Robben, Van Persie, RVN, Arshavin out performed them all on the night and was the difference, it remains to be seen if he can do it in the semi and hopefully in the final (having put a bet on Russia before the Euros started) but I love the way he plays and really think that he will go onto be a truly massive player for the next few years.

Very much the case that Juninho played for Brazil whom had better players, and therefore Juninho had to play in a reduced team role to be included. Whereas Arshavin plays in a Russia side that is built around him.

As for the mention of the likes of Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Zidane, Ronaldo you've pretty much listed players that played in one-man teams just like Arshavin does for Russia. He isn't at the same level to be part of a one man team for Brazil, Argentina, Manchester United, Holland, Barcelona.

He may struggle if he isn't a team's focal point.