Arda Turan?

Guest hindu times

if everton is in, we are out of the running. he will choose the bigger club.

You're really starting to get on my tits..

Yes i put in my honest opinion and despite being a mad fan, i know and recognise the harsh reality in life. I was not popular when at the start of the season, i say we have a worse squad than prior one. With signings like Beye (good buy i was wrong) and Cacapa, i know we will struggle cos i have seen them play regularly in France. Also signings like Smith as i recall please some fans but i was disgusted. I was criticised when i predicted we will be in the relegation scrap and should be happy just being safe, also being blasted when i say Pompey is way better than us in terms of squad quality. Remembered when i post that if pple are thinking we will back in top6 soon are asking too much last summer, i was blasted as well.

I turn out to be more right than wrong. Seriously, the state of the club in terms of attracting players due to the big club tag is bollocks....we are just a top 10 club at stretch. No doubt rising stars like Turan, Gomis, Gomez will not come to us ahead of the likes of even Blackburn, Everton and Spurs. Do not blast me now...do it after we signed these type of players. I say we will not sign players of such quality and will settle for second raters like Diane and Sessegnon. I have seen them play and they are average at best. I have posted much recently because we have been linked to Ligue 1 players which i am familiar with. These are the type of players that will normally go to teams like Boro and Sunderland, we will sign them if we are interested cos we are definitely a more attractive proposition. But players like Gomis is way way out of our league.

Whether you are right or wrong I think its more your complete dismissal of the possibility we could even compete with the likes of Everton for a players signature thats the piss off.

I wish we would just bid for him tbh, he's clearly very talented and would be a sound addition to the team so why not just give them what they want? £12 million or whatever they want isn't THAT unreasonable surely.

So there goes our 3rd record bid for a one-season only promising star?

Why would he be one season only?

Besides, I didn't see people having any qualms about shelling out more money on Modric who wouldn't have been hanging around for long.

Be cool my friend, we will get in quality players I am very confident of this. It is doing my head in as well, especially with all the news of potential signings for other clubs.

It is good we are taking a stand on the fees as we don't apear to be being reasonable. We are offering good money for these players it appears so we just need to be calm. They are clearly trying to rip us off but it is early enough in the summer where we can afford to be a bit patient.

Unless said players have storming Euro 2008 tournaments.

Yes i put in my honest opinion and despite being a mad fan, i know and recognise the harsh reality in life. I was not popular when at the start of the season, i say we have a worse squad than prior one. With signings like Beye (good buy i was wrong) and Cacapa, i know we will struggle cos i have seen them play regularly in France. Also signings like Smith as i recall please some fans but i was disgusted. I was criticised when i predicted we will be in the relegation scrap and should be happy just being safe, also being blasted when i say Pompey is way better than us in terms of squad quality. Remembered when i post that if pple are thinking we will back in top6 soon are asking too much last summer, i was blasted as well.

I turn out to be more right than wrong. Seriously, the state of the club in terms of attracting players due to the big club tag is bollocks....we are just a top 10 club at stretch. No doubt rising stars like Turan, Gomis, Gomez will not come to us ahead of the likes of even Blackburn, Everton and Spurs. Do not blast me now...do it after we signed these type of players. I say we will not sign players of such quality and will settle for second raters like Diane and Sessegnon. I have seen them play and they are average at best. I have posted much recently because we have been linked to Ligue 1 players which i am familiar with. These are the type of players that will normally go to teams like Boro and Sunderland, we will sign them if we are interested cos we are definitely a more attractive proposition. But players like Gomis is way way out of our league.

If Turan or anyone else chooses Blackburn or Everton ahead of us I will gladly hold my hands up and say you were right. You are entitled to your opinion, but mine is that players would crawl over broken glass to sign for us ahead of them because WE are the bigger and more glamorous club. Everton and Blackburn are shitholes (no offence to people from said shitholes), and I will be amazed if they turn us down for them.

Sorry but your totally over the top and recurring claims that we're a small club who couldn't possibly compete with the mighty Spuds and Bin Dippers is not only extremely annoying its also complete bollocks.  Everton aren't a bigger club then us just because they've finished in the top six in the last two seasons.  It gives them an advantage no doubt, but we have our own advantages.  Its ludicrous to claim that we have no chance of competing with likes of Everton and Spuds..

The kind of money we were offering may have changed though.

Aye probably but i honestly believe that why we are not the most attractive club to join in the league we will always beat Everton to signings and Blackburn

It's just not that simple though. And people wonder why we are often called deluded.

Not being deluded i judt dont think Everton are more attractive to join and people who say Blackburn are bigger than us are deluded

This has just gone from one extreme to the other!

I said that earlier. :razz:

The answer IMO is that barring the top four, we can compete with anyone. I just won't be surprised if the teams with European competition next year, London, or something else unique to offer beat us to some players this summer. Some you win, some you lose.

It's just as ridiculous to suggest we've no chance against Everton as it is to suggest players would crawl across broken glass to join us ahead of them.

The answer IMO is that barring the top four, we can compete with anyone. I just won't be surprised if the teams with European competition next year, London, or something else unique to offer beat us to some players this summer. Some you win, some you lose.

It's just as ridiculous to suggest we've no chance against Everton as it is to suggest players would crawl across broken glass to join us ahead of them.

Pretty much spot on.

I just won't be surprised if the teams with European competition next year, London, or something else unique to offer beat us to some players this summer. Some you win, some you lose.

well, you've got to try... put the bids in, see what happens.

Guest MaetihS

If Turan or anyone else chooses Blackburn or Everton ahead of us I will gladly hold my hands up and say you were right. You are entitled to your opinion, but mine is that players would crawl over broken glass to sign for us ahead of them because WE are the bigger and more glamorous club. Everton and Blackburn are shitholes (no offence to people from said shitholes), and I will be amazed if they turn us down for them.

I am not saying they will crawl over broken glasses to join such clubs over us; i am saying we are less attractive. Also, saying we are bigger and more glam is exactly why we are the butt of jokes in the country.

I was exaggerating slightly due to the fury of seeing our supporters tugging their forelock to the likes of Everton. In fact I do believe that London clubs like Spurs will have an advantage over us when signing foreign players due to location, but Everton and Blackburn are behind us in the pecking order IMO. Those are the two clubs the lad was talking about and if Turan signs for either of them ahead of us, then he'll have a point.

Guest MaetihS

I hope i am wrong for our sake. Lets see....my views also based from comments from the football world in France. No one in France thinks we are a big club....yes one french international player did mention in a magazine clubs he like to join in England and it does not include us but Spurs and Everton!!!!!! Lets stop the bantering as eventually we will see who is right. My feel is that if Spurs and Arsenal or the big wigs arent in for these players, they will rather stay put than join us. Lets see then.

I am not saying they will crawl over broken glasses to join such clubs over us; i am saying we are less attractive. Also, saying we are bigger and more glam is exactly why we are the butt of jokes in the country.

Well they thought it was a joke when we appointed Keegan. I didn't see many of them laughing when we put four past Spurs.

Guest Brazilianbob

What people have to realise is that many players come to the EPL and join "smaller clubs" in the hope the big 4 will take notice and step in with a bid after a couple of years.  Players might join Everton over us because they are in the city of Liverpool and they hope playing in Liverpool will increase their chances of joining a "top" club Like Liverpool with a proven European pedigree.  The same goes for players joining Spurs.  Given the chance they would prefer to join Arsenal or Chelsea but, as with Everton, these players reason that playing in the "big city" may bring them to the attention of Chelsea and Arsenal.  We simply do not fit into that category which is why we lose out unless we are prepared to pay inflated fees and top dollar in wages.

What people have to realise is that many players come to the EPL and join "smaller clubs" in the hope the big 4 will take notice and step in with a bid after a couple of years.  Players might join Everton over us because they are in the city of Liverpool and they hope playing in Liverpool will increase their chances of joining a "top" club Like Liverpool with a proven European pedigree.  The same goes for players joining Spurs.  Given the chance they would prefer to join Arsenal or Chelsea but, as with Everton, these players reason that playing in the "big city" may bring them to the attention of Chelsea and Arsenal.  We simply do not fit into that category which is why we lose out unless we are prepared to pay inflated fees and top dollar in wages.

Started off quite promisingly then collapsed into a big fat mess.

With the amount of coverage the premiership gets you think they will only be noticed by these teams if they play in the same city?

Get real dude.

Just playing in the premiership gets you noticed all over the world moreso than in any other league.

Valencia and Palacios at Wigan have gotten incredible exposure by being  at Wigan. Zarate has only been at Birmingham a couple of months and has already created significant buzz with hardly anyone even knowing who he was beforehand.

Guest Brazilianbob

Started off quite promisingly then collapsed into a big fat mess.

With the amount of coverage the premiership gets you think they will only be noticed by these teams if they play in the same city?

Get real dude.

Just playing in the premiership gets you noticed all over the world moreso than in any other league.

Valencia and Palacios at Wigan have gotten incredible exposure by being  at Wigan. Zarate has only been at Birmingham a couple of months and has already created significant buzz with hardly anyone even knowing who he was beforehand.

Yes, but who had heard of them before they joined Wigan/Birmingham, they were relatively unkown and have proved themselves there and are attracting attention from the top clubs.  Surely, we are after quality players who don't need to join the likes of Wigan/Birmingham to prove they have what it takes!

All I am saying is foreign players look at a map of England and think "sacre bleu" Newcastle is miles and miles away from London, Manchester and Liverpool where the top teams in England play.  Why should I go to that far flung outpost of football when I can join Spurs, Everton or even Man City and attract the attention of the big city media to get a big money move.