The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Miles offside but get in holland!!!

lol.. miles off...

I can't believe it... but i think I really like Ruud.. the type of no nonsense striker that is missing in the game.

Stevie Wonder was screaming offside there, as was David Blunkett!

Jeeeeeees

Quiz question - what do the shirts of the Italian and Dutch national sides have in common?

Clue is in the colours.

The shirt colour is not part of their flag...

Half right. Your answer isn't quite complete.

Both colours arent on their flag but used to be.

Nope, but you are right in looking to history.

Miles offside but get in holland!!!

lol.. miles off...

I can't believe it... but i think I really like Ruud.. the type of no nonsense striker that is missing in the game.

Stevie Wonder was screaming offside there, as was David Blunkett!

Jeeeeeees

Can't believe you quoted Lanky. In a football thread, I mean.

No one else picked it up like did they?

Even Van Nistelrooy looked sheepish at first. I think the point is they should have the means to look it up quickly enough.

Miles offside, and it looked it in real time too.

"A player leaving the field of play because of his momentum during play, is not deemed to have left without the Referee's permission and can therefore re-enter without the Referee's permission. In this instance, although the defender is off the field of play, (and until he returns to the field of play), he should be deemed to be standing on the goal-line (in the field of play) when considering offside. The Assistant Referee should stand in line with the last opponent on the field of play (which in this case will probably be the defending goalkeeper). When deciding offside in this scenario, the two last defending opponents are the defender who has travelled off the field of play, and the defending player who is nearest to the goal line on the field of play (which in all probability will be the goalkeeper)."

Nice one. :thup:

Good to see ITV up to scratch with their laws of the game.

:lol:

I can see why folk are confused: how many times have we seen an attacker stay deliberately off the pitch in order to avoid being offside? I suppose that is an 'interfering with play' issue.

that's different though, an attacker can not be involved, but a defender can be covering if he's right at the opposite touchline.

Edit: yes, as Aphro put it.

"A player leaving the field of play because of his momentum during play, is not deemed to have left without the Referee's permission and can therefore re-enter without the Referee's permission. In this instance, although the defender is off the field of play, (and until he returns to the field of play), he should be deemed to be standing on the goal-line (in the field of play) when considering offside. The Assistant Referee should stand in line with the last opponent on the field of play (which in this case will probably be the defending goalkeeper). When deciding offside in this scenario, the two last defending opponents are the defender who has travelled off the field of play, and the defending player who is nearest to the goal line on the field of play (which in all probability will be the goalkeeper)."

I'm not the one getting paid for my valuable insight and professional accuracy though am I.

Quiz question - what do the shirts of the Italian and Dutch national sides have in common?

Clue is in the colours.

The Dutch flag used to have orange in it, I think.

I can see why folk are confused: how many times have we seen an attacker stay deliberately off the pitch in order to avoid being offside? I suppose that is an 'interfering with play' issue.

that's different though, an attacker can not be involved, but a defender can be covering if he's right at the opposite touchline.

I know that, you plank, I was just saying it's understandable how people could get confused.

I'm not the one getting paid for my valuable insight and professional accuracy though am I.

True, still funny to see hypocrisy of the two posts :)

Not hypocrisy really. It looked offside and I wasn't aware of the specifics of the rule at that time. If you look at my posts you'll see I assumed the player off the field was inactive. I was corrected. ITV should KNOW the rules already.

I know that, you plank, I was just saying it's understandable how people could get confused.

It was therefore important to point out the differences for those who were confused  :angel:

Even Van Nistelrooy looked sheepish at first. I think the point is they should have the means to look it up quickly enough.

I'd say if they're paid large amounts of money to do a professional job they should take the time to know the rules inside out.

A couple of years ago, Mark Lawrenson was saying that an attacker had been played onside because a defender had touched the ball on its way through. That law changed about 20 years ago.

I'd say if they're paid large amounts of money to do a professional job they should take the time to know the rules inside out.

A couple of years ago, Mark Lawrenson was saying that an attacker had been played onside because a defender had touched the ball on its way through. That law changed about 20 years ago.

He still says that. :lol:

Wonder how much that Afellay lad who hit the bar would cost. When he played against Spurs for PSV, he absolutely took the piss.

i hope he gets to play some more.  he seems to have potential.

Clue is in the colours.

I don't think so, in the case of either country.

Clue is in the colours.

I don't think so, in the case of either country.

Aye, might've made it up. :lol:

Not hypocrisy really. It looked offside and I wasn't aware of the specifics of the rule at that time. If you look at my posts you'll see I assumed the player off the field was inactive. I was corrected. ITV should KNOW the rules already.

At the time I thought it was offside as well!

Thinking about this rule: it makes no fucking sense.

Why? That's insane.

Why? That's insane.

Makes sense to me. ???

Any other interpretation allows a defender(s) to stand on the line then just simply step back into the goal to make the attackers offside. 

Why? That's insane.

Because as I pointed out earlier, what would be to stop a defender in a disastrously bad position just stepping or rolling off the pitch and playing the attacker offside that way? It'd be an almost guaranteed failsafe for a defender. In trouble? Just pop over the line and you can play offside.