Nicky Shorey

Baggio

He's been put up for sale and has been linked with a move here...

Reading will listen to offers for Nicky Shorey, the England full back, as they adapt their finances to the Coca-Cola Championship. Shorey, who has been with the club for seven years, has been linked with moves to West Ham United, Aston Villa and Newcastle United.

The £11 million parachute payment will ease the burden of Reading’s relegation from the Premier League but Nigel Howe, the club's chief executive, said they need to cut the wage bill, too. “Nicky Shorey and a few others will be looked at as potential people to leave,” Howe said. “Nicky has made it clear for a long time that he hasn’t been too happy at the club. Well, let’s hope that somebody comes in with a good offer.”

Steve Coppell, the manager, is thought to have accepted a £500,000 pay-cut to remain at the club. “We have said to Steve that, if he trades well, it should release enough funds to go forward,” Howe said. “But he won’t have money unless he sells. At the moment we are just trying to balance the budget.

“The concern is to keep as many of the core squad together. But Steve does want to reduce the squad so he is expecting to receive offers for players. If Steve wants to keep all the players on the same salaries, there won’t be the release of funds. If he reduces the wage bill, he will have funds.

“Even though we get the £11m parachute we have still got very highly paid players - even with the reduction in wages - so we will have to budget for a small loss. Salaries have to be at the middle range and some in the upper range for the Championship.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/reading/article3978911.ece

Guest Mucky01

I must have been mistaken as I thought he was waiting for a Bosman and his contract was up this summer?

I must have been mistaken as I thought he was waiting for a Bosman and his contract was up this summer?

Think thats next summer. I'd buy him for £2.5m max but hes going to have to jose for LB.

Preferably I'd like a young and upcoming lad for LB as jose has it sorted for now. Either way we'll be buying one this summer.

I'd prefer him to Riise or Bridge.

Same here, because he'd probably command less wedge than either of them and seems a good lad.

Things have been thrown a bit in the air since all the wage stuff has come out, though, it's not as easy as my first instinct of just "buying the best we can".

But he's not that young Supertoon, he's about 27.

Same here, because he'd probably command less wedge than either of them and seems a good lad.

Things have been thrown a bit in the air since all the wage stuff has come out, though, it's not as easy as my first instinct of just "buying the best we can".

But he's not that young Supertoon, he's about 27.

Ok my mistake just thought he was younger

Certainly prefer him to Riise. I've still got a lot of time for Bridge.

That said, Shorey would be a lot cheaper.

Max I'd pay would be £4m.

Guest Mucky01

if he only has a year left on his contract I can’t see him going for much more than 2 - 3 million.

Think he would be a good signing, wouldn't say he's much better or worse than Enrique at the moment but I think Enrique has the potential to be far better. He could maybe help Enrique out with his attacking a bit too.

Guest thenorthumbrian

He'll be off to West Ham i suspect.

I hope so, really don't rate him.

Agreed, nowt special.

Hope we don't sign him, Enrique needs to grow into the position like Clichy, Evra did. Bring in someone young like Mattock to provide cover and future competition

Also I think Shorey is no better than Riise Defensivley

Think he would be a solid signing that i would be pleased about. as long as the fee is fair i think he would be ideal. the one thing we dont need at lb is potential, we have enrique, tozer and kadar. shorey would give enrique quality competition and solid experience, he is a player for now. he wouldnt throw his toys out the pram if he was left out of the side and would serve as the perfect foil for enrique to come through imo.

Nicky Shorey isn't going to come here to sit on the bench. If Keegan signs him it will be on the basis he will have to compete with Enrique for the left back spot. If he's prepared to come on that basis he's welcome. Otherwise put Kadar on the bench and sign another promising youngster.